G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 G35x Gauge cluster repair/replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2007 G35x Gauge cluster repair/replacement?

Hey all:

Brand new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but couldn't quite find an answer.

I have a 2007 G35x with 153K miles. I've had the car for about 2 years now, and it's always had a couple electrical gremlins. First and foremost, the gas gauge has never read accurately. It always reads full, even if it's completely empty. Last year, I had the sending unit replaced, which did not fix the problem. The "Cruise" light has also always been on; and doesn't seem to be the actual cruise control light, as there is a separate one that illuminates when engaged. Lastly, the RPM and speedo lights flicker on and off randomly. I recently had someone who's a family friend go through the car, and was told that the entire gauge cluster which also houses the CPU would need to be replaced. He explained it would need to be done by a shop that specializes in Nissan/Infinitis, and that it could be costly. I see that ebay has replacement clusters that average about $150.00 but have been told by several dealers that they will not replace it with a used part. The car is completely fine otherwise, but due to the issues, the check engine light has remained ON the whole time. My inspection is coming due in July, and the car will not pass unless that light is off. Money is a little tight, so I would like to see if there are any other options for dealing with this outside taking it to a dealer, and paying top dollar for the parts and repair. If anyone has any helpful suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Firstly, the ECU is not housed within the instrument cluster, you can replace the instrument cluster with another one with no programming as long as you make proper match marks for all the components of the steering wheel that need to be removed. If you screw up putting the steering assembly back together in a different position it will need the steering angle sensor recalibrated.

Next, the fuel sending unit can be troubleshooted for proper fuel signal, the main harness on the top can be unplugged and you use a digital multimeter to read across pins 2 and 5 for resistance, it scales from 4-80 ohms depending on fuel level.

Lastly, exactly what diagnostic trouble code is the ECU sending, if you don't know go down to a parts house and they'll scan your car with an OBD2 reader and tell you the DTC for free.