G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

08 g35xs awd sedan suspension help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 g35xs awd sedan suspension help

I own a 08 awd sedan and i am in search of new suspension. I have 166k on the car and i think it is still the original shocks and struts. My front tires have bad cupping on the inside of the tires and my right rear tire is wearing on the outside of the tire. I thought about installing eibach pro kit with kyb shocks and struts. That would help reduce my wheel gap also. I am not looking to slam my car or track it. I wanted to keep the factory ride quality. Any other recommendations? Also with such a mild drop will a camber kit be necessary? I dont fully understand the differences between the camber kit, toe bots ect.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Chances are you have worn suspension components with that many miles on the vehicle. Get it up in the air and check tie rod ends, wheel bearings, compression rod bushing, upper control arm bushings, upper/lower ball joint, rear camber arm/spring bucket perch/transverse link bushings. There's a good chance that about half your bushings are shot, some may have cracks/tears and others might not. If you aren't sure how to check all this stuff then have an alignment shop check for play and they'll give you a list of what needs to be replaced before you have the alignment done.

Any drop will add negative camber, there is no factory adjustment so it's strongly recommended to replace the front upper control arms with adjustable camber arms. Depending on the drop in the rear you will probably be able to get away with aftermarket eccentric toe bolts and adjustable camber arms. An inexpensive kit like the Z1 motorsports one will run you like $550 for FUCA, camber arms, eccentric toe bolts, and you will also get adjustable transverse links (sometimes called "traction bars" although that's not technically a correct name for that piece on a multilink rear suspension).

If you're looking down the side of your vehicle from either the front or rear CAMBER is the angle of the tire perpendicular to the road, these vehicles run a slight negative camber from the factory because it causes the outboard wheel to straighten out while under load in a hard corner thus giving better grip.

if you're looking straight down at the vehicle from the top TOE is the angle of the tires as they track down the road, if the tires are pointed towards each other too much or if they are completely parallel or even pointed away from each other it causes poor driving characteristics like pulling to one side while driving as well as RAPID tire wear, there are toe adjustments on both the front and rear of the vehicle. Factory setting is a very small toe IN on the front and nearly parallel on the rear, at higher speeds the toe becomes nearly parallel.

Depending on the shop and the roads in your area you may be advised to adjust camber slightly offset on the left to compensate for the crown of the road, this is more of a personal preference but if you have any intentions on tracking the car you should probably not have any crown adjustment because it makes a hard left corner behave slightly different than a hard right corner.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spoke to a garage and i was advised that i would only need a rear camber kit to get the car within acceptable specs.is this accurate? I do understand that i also should get the FUCA for best results

Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Depends on what you consider acceptable. There is no adjustment for camber with the OEM fuca, any drop will result in more negative camber but you might just hold out till you have it all done and check the alignment report specs to see if it's acceptable to you.