G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stillen Gen 3 Ultra Long VS K&N Typhoon Dual CAI (Winter?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
It's really your call. A better filter us a great idea but I don't know about the rest of the intake. WR catch cans, coolant overflow tanks and PS fluid tanks by them have failed due to poor welds, shoddy materials and premature rust in other car forums I belong to. So do what you feel is right but let us know what direction you go and how it works out for you.
Yea I understand that. The intake is supposed to arrive today, so I will inspect for quality. Thanks Bluedream for the advice. I will keep you all posted!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:23 AM
Takeda AFE also make a pretty neat CAI for 2008 G35. It is like Stillen Gen3 but with one big filter serving both left and right air intakes in front of radiator. It also has an optional splash shield which I would get to protect filter from water splashes etc. I like that portion that passes through radiator support is rubber tubing, Like Z1 intake. Maybe from performance standpoint, a solid, constant diameter metal pipe, as used on Stillen G3, is more desirable but I have read these metal intake tubes can rattle and buzz against radiator support they pass through and some damage their AC lines from interference with metal intake pipes. Both potential issues would drive me nuts.

Here is link Takeda AFE CAI. I have been thinking about this one for a few reasons: polished aluminum is clear coated so it will stay nice looking longer, Included are mounting brackets to hold filter and intakes in place up front. Takeda splash shield is an optional upcharge. I noticed Stillen G3 comes with splash shield and mounting bracket out front too. But not all CAI's do like Z1. Nor does Admin Tuning's 3" system (requires a tune also).

Thinking about the different features each comes with and what each costs may help you decide which to go with. I am leaning toward Takeda AFE or Z1 CAI.

I have been thinking about CAI and which to get. Haven't made up my mind yet. I do like the look of the Z1 system with blue tubes and fittings and their blue cone (K&N) oiled filters. Z1 website show dyno pulls on a 370Z before CAI, after CAI and then with CAI + tune = +32HP if I remember right. Not bad. They sound nice too. One thing seems clear and makes sense too is CAI's that perform best all pull air in from out front where there is cooler fresh air. Systems that place filters under the hood provide less performance improvement. But are easier to install and maintain.

Right now I am running stock intakes . Love the ease of maintenance with cassette style filters that pop in and out. I have been playing around with some aftermarket replacement air filters that fit stock airboxes. R2C, AFE, K&N, etc all make some. Right now I am trying the HKS Super Hybrid air filters. Can't really say I notice any difference compared to stock. I just hope they filter air properly!

Good luck!

Last edited by Roadtrip; 04-25-2019 at 12:43 AM. Reason: terrible spelling ugh...
Old 04-25-2019, 10:49 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by MING35x
Yea I understand that. The intake is supposed to arrive today, so I will inspect for quality. Thanks Bluedream for the advice. I will keep you all posted!
Any updates for us?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadtrip
Takeda AFE also make a pretty neat CAI for 2008 G35. It is like Stillen Gen3 but with one big filter serving both left and right air intakes in front of radiator. It also has an optional splash shield which I would get to protect filter from water splashes etc. I like that portion that passes through radiator support is rubber tubing, Like Z1 intake. Maybe from performance standpoint, a solid, constant diameter metal pipe, as used on Stillen G3, is more desirable but I have read these metal intake tubes can rattle and buzz against radiator support they pass through and some damage their AC lines from interference with metal intake pipes. Both potential issues would drive me nuts.

Here is link Takeda AFE CAI. I have been thinking about this one for a few reasons: polished aluminum is clear coated so it will stay nice looking longer, Included are mounting brackets to hold filter and intakes in place up front. Takeda splash shield is an optional upcharge. I noticed Stillen G3 comes with splash shield and mounting bracket out front too. But not all CAI's do like Z1. Nor does Admin Tuning's 3" system (requires a tune also).

Thinking about the different features each comes with and what each costs may help you decide which to go with. I am leaning toward Takeda AFE or Z1 CAI.

I have been thinking about CAI and which to get. Haven't made up my mind yet. I do like the look of the Z1 system with blue tubes and fittings and their blue cone (K&N) oiled filters. Z1 website show dyno pulls on a 370Z before CAI, after CAI and then with CAI + tune = +32HP if I remember right. Not bad. They sound nice too. One thing seems clear and makes sense too is CAI's that perform best all pull air in from out front where there is cooler fresh air. Systems that place filters under the hood provide less performance improvement. But are easier to install and maintain.

Right now I am running stock intakes . Love the ease of maintenance with cassette style filters that pop in and out. I have been playing around with some aftermarket replacement air filters that fit stock airboxes. R2C, AFE, K&N, etc all make some. Right now I am trying the HKS Super Hybrid air filters. Can't really say I notice any difference compared to stock. I just hope they filter air properly!

Good luck!
I have been rocking my 3" long tube intakes for almost a year now. Plenty of rain down in Atlanta. I've never had any issue of sucking up water or anything. For long tubes, the only system that doesn't require cutting up the core support is the Takeda. I had K&N SRI before and I noticed intake air temperature differences (comparing numbers off my Ecutek datalog), mainly when sitting in traffic. Its not too bad when you're moving but once the temps get affected from sitting, it still is higher even when moving.

Drop in K&N filters with stock air boxes have been proven to pick up power.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 AM
What 3" intake do you have installed, Admin?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM
What 3" intake do you have installed, Admin?
There's a guy names Michael Upton and he sells his own kit. I was apart of a group buy for his kit.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by projectpanda13
There's a guy names Michael Upton and he sells his own kit. I was apart of a group buy for his kit.
Interesting. Never heard of that option/tuner before. I imagine they are similar to Administration Tuning's. They are basically bent 3" aluminum tubes with really big air filters on the end out front.Stock MAF sensors fit into them but they require a tune to work correctly.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 AM
Interesting. Never heard of that option/tuner before. I imagine they are similar to Administration Tuning's. They are basically bent 3" aluminum tubes with really big air filters on the end out front.Stock MAF sensors fit into them but they require a tune to work correctly.
There’s plenty of options for 3” intakes now besides Admin Tuning; Limp Mode Tuning, C Works design, Rabbit Hole Motorsports, Soho Motorsports, and Michael Upton.

yea, going 3” does mean you a tune is necessary. I installed my intakes on site, my tuner, Martin from RS Enthalpy, did a throttle body relearn then loaded a base map to get it on the dyno. I prep the everything before hand so install with me quick

AAM makes a 2.75” Intake with an insert at the mag to be able to run the stock maf without a tune and removable to get the full potential of the 2.75” but will need a tune.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I see intakes are still a hot topic. My two cents is unless you are going FBO with full exhaust etc, go K&N drop-ins. Infinity spent the time in R&D to design those boxes for a reason. Yes they may not be the absolute highest flowing, but the stock boxes are essentially CAI's. As far as sound you will not get a huge difference no matter which system you go with, especially if you mostly drive at lower rpms.

I'm stock with only drop in filters (just cleaned and re-oiled after 50K miles) and they do the job, also makes a cool blow off valve kind of noise under light-mid throttle when shifting around 4K Rpm.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:23 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
This discussion is about the v36 platform which has proven gains by going with the 3" intakes.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Correct, I don't think I said anything to the contrary.

I've also not seen any dyno graphs of gains of 3" long tube intakes vs stock vs. K&N drop-ins on an otherwise fully stock, (bone stock exhaust) HR or VHR.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohhh well in that case you're lucky to make any whp gains, modifications without a tune to support them is just a waste of time/money.

However if you tune the vehicle then yes intake only is a pretty substantial gain on both the HR and VHR, obviously it's much higher on the HR if you also add the ported plenum because those two just work well together.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:00 PM
In this case I'd have to disagree, look at Motorvate. He gained a documented 14whp peak (with gains across most of the power band) in controlled testing with only drop-in filters, no tune.

Sure tune can unlock even more power, but you're spending $700-$800 including dyno time. That's why nobody bothers getting it done with only intakes.

They wait until they have most or all the mods they plan on doing then go for the tune.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Most of the cost of a tune is the initial license purchase, sure this might seem like a lot up front but dollar for dollar it's a very cost-effective way to increase vehicle power. Many people pay a lot more $ for a lot less power.

Follow-up tunes for additional modifications is usually an hour of a technicians time, $150 or so.

There's no reason to wait for a tune unless you are bolting on more mods within the same month.

EDIT: Ok I had to check out that video because I strongly doubted the claim, I have no idea how he managed to make that kind of power when pretty much ALL the people running 350Z's are only getting +5whp with a drop in filter replacement. I smell bullshit.

Double EDIT: "dyno proven" but only shows a made up graphic on the screen and not the ACTUAL dyno results...

Old 04-28-2019, 07:33 PM
G35x Sedan Sport

Originally Posted by Serge Mullen
In this case I'd have to disagree, look at Motorvate. He gained a documented 14whp peak (with gains across most of the power band) in controlled testing with only drop-in filters, no tune.

Sure tune can unlock even more power, but you're spending $700-$800 including dyno time. That's why nobody bothers getting it done with only intakes.

They wait until they have most or all the mods they plan on doing then go for the tune.
Originally Posted by Serge Mullen
I see intakes are still a hot topic. My two cents is unless you are going FBO with full exhaust etc, go K&N drop-ins. Infinity spent the time in R&D to design those boxes for a reason. Yes they may not be the absolute highest flowing, but the stock boxes are essentially CAI's. As far as sound you will not get a huge difference no matter which system you go with, especially if you mostly drive at lower rpms.

I'm stock with only drop in filters (just cleaned and re-oiled after 50K miles) and they do the job, also makes a cool blow off valve kind of noise under light-mid throttle when shifting around 4K Rpm.
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
This discussion is about the v36 platform which has proven gains by going with the 3" intakes.
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Any updates for us?
So I ended up going with the Weapon R Secret. After doing some research I concluded that their filters are not that great (which was also confirmed once I received the package) and so I ordered two dry filters for Afe Power. I've been happy with the result. Sounds pretty mean when stepping on the gas and is quiet for most part aside from the low humming common woth any intake. Yeah you can say I just bought an expensive piece of metal, which is true, but oh well. I just wanted to finish this project.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Gen 3 Ultra Long VS K&N Typhoon Dual CAI (Winter?)