G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Weak cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 g35x sedan all stock
Weak cold start

I have a 2008 G35x sedan 164k miles. Couple weeks ago I had to jumpstart my g I thought it was the alternator as I had put a battery in April this year, so I got the alternator changed still had to jump start the next 2 days or so then I checked the battery seemed fluids was leaking from the top where the acid covers are so I brought it back to advanced auto got a replacement now starting the car when the engine is cold it sounds week like it almost doesn’t wanna start but it eventually do start. I’m trying to figure out what this could be. If the engine is warm it starts nice and good any ideas??

Old 09-20-2020, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Rando424
I have a 2008 G35x sedan 164k miles. Couple weeks ago I had to jumpstart my g I thought it was the alternator as I had put a battery in April this year, so I got the alternator changed still had to jump start the next 2 days or so then I checked the battery seemed fluids was leaking from the top where the acid covers are so I brought it back to advanced auto got a replacement now starting the car when the engine is cold it sounds week like it almost doesn’t wanna start but it eventually do start. I’m trying to figure out what this could be. If the engine is warm it starts nice and good any ideas??
Yes I have a few ideas for you.
You replaced an alternator without testing or measuring the output voltage with a multi-meter? If you still do not have a multi-meter you can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight.
You may have replaced a perfectly good OEM alternator with a cheap China one that may now be defective?
Measure the voltage across the battery with your new multi-meter and if the alternator is working properly you should read 14.4 volts

Weak cold start-mhfktva.jpg

While you are at Harbor Freight obtaining a multi-meter, also obtain a battery hydrometer to test the individual battery cells to see if they are accepting a full charge.?

Weak cold start-2ye57nq.jpg

Just because you recently replaced a battery does not mean it is a good one without testing. Did you make note of the date codes on the battery?

Good luck

Old 09-20-2020, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 g35x sedan all stock
Originally Posted by telcoman
Yes I have a few ideas for you.
You replaced an alternator without testing or measuring the output voltage with a multi-meter? If you still do not have a multi-meter you can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight.
You may have replaced a perfectly good OEM alternator with a cheap China one that may now be defective?
Measure the voltage across the battery with your new multi-meter and if the alternator is working properly you should read 14.4 volts

While you are at Harbor Freight obtaining a multi-meter, also obtain a battery hydrometer to test the individual battery cells to see if they are accepting a full charge.?

Just because you recently replaced a battery does not mean it is a good one without testing. Did you make note of the date codes on the battery?

Good luck
I am getting the 14.4 volts. I had a oil leak before and when I got it fixed I was warned about the alternator as oil was going into it even when I took it out it was still oily after months of fixing the oil leak. But the voltage seems ok