G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Suggestion for the site, because this doesn't make any sense...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your right, its not a democracy, but totalitarian control should not be garnered to only a few. We are all here for a common reason, why not at the very least respect the opinions of those who frequent the site?!?!

Old 03-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
It's just that this one is the biggest and the most watched.
I think that should be kept in mind by every one.

Anyway, if the mods want certain posts to go in certain place they should update the rules sticky so we can figure it out. Since it seems some of us new guys are used to things working differently, it would be nice if we could get some direction on how it works here.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I have already been chatting on here for a few weeks now and I've come to like this place and quite a few of the active posters are pretty cool ... I don't want to chat on another g35 board.

I think this post sums up my intentions precisely: https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...54&postcount=8

Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by MB The Body
I have already been chatting on here for a few weeks now and I've come to like this place and quite a few of the active posters are pretty cool ... I don't want to chat on another g35 board.
That's why I spend WAY too much of my free (and not so free) time on this forum.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
That's why I spend WAY too much of my free (and not so free) time on this forum.
If you think you spend WAY too much time on this forum check out my post count on my main forum

http://account.audiworld.com/users/39591.phtml

So yeah I think I have a pretty decent feel for how forums work I guess you could say

Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I'm sorry. I must have missed the poll. I wasn't aware that most agree with you.
I guess I was premature with my assumption, but it was an easy one to make. Here are the results so far:

Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by MB The Body
If you think you spend WAY too much time on this forum check out my post count on my main forum

http://account.audiworld.com/users/39591.phtml

So yeah I think I have a pretty decent feel for how forums work I guess you could say

Old 03-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
If you have pics of your 07 sedan, great! Post it in the sticky. That's where people will go if they are curious to see.

Exhaust question. Well what makes you 07 guys so special?? The rest of us lowly pre-07ers have to manage sorting though each section, why can you?

The people that made/moderate the site can do with it as they see fit. Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If you have pics of your 07 sedan, great! Post it in the sticky. That's where people will go if they are curious to see.

Exhaust question. Well what makes you 07 guys so special?? The rest of us lowly pre-07ers have to manage sorting though each section, why can you?

The people that made/moderate the site can do with it as they see fit. Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
That is the exact wrong attitude to have and here is why. There is a suggestion forum to do just that make suggestions for improvements.

Now just because you've been stuck doing something that seems strange doesn't mean you should keep quiet about it and deal. It means you should have been in the suggestion forum making suggestions.

When I make the suggestion about the 2007 G35 Sedan forum it's more of a full site arcing suggestion. I don't think you should have to go to some generic exhaust forum to find exhaust designed for your car either.

Why should anyone have to dig through jumbled up mismatched threads to find stuff when they can all be under the forum for the car they belong on.

Now as for each point you've made:

So we should have a forum with no new threads? If we have pictures to share lets just make one post that is what 30, 40, 50 pages long?

Nothing makes us so special and I never said we were. This poll/suggestion is wide arcing and should be universal. I'm somewhat new to the site and I've only been in the 2007 G35 Sedan forum. That's why it's the basis of my suggestion or example. You said you have a pre07 sedan. Isn't your exhaust setup much different then the 07 sedan? I'm not going to want to read up on your exhaust and I'd imagine you wouldn't want to read up on mine. If you do want to read up on my exhaust setup you can easily find it on the 07 forum, and if I want to read up on yours I can easily find it in the g35 sedan forum. If I have a "basic" or "general" exhaust question, that should go in the Exhaust section.

So you enjoy living in a dictatorship? We have a suggestion forum for a reason. Well at least I think we do. There are now 19 votes that agree with me. Sure the people that made the site can do whatever they want with it, but why not make the user's happy if it's not even asking for much at all, but some common sense? The user's make the community.

I hope this clears everything up for you. I'm not trying to stir the pot. Just trying to make clear what should be common sense. Why move a post that is on topic. If it fits in more then one forum, that's fine and to be expected that things will overlap. That said if it is in fact on topic leave it in the forum the post originated in.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Red Card Crew

Yes it's a suggestion forum. But you seem to disagree with the meaning of suggestion.

A suggestion can be taken into consideration and two outcomes can result:
1) They take your suggestion and make changes.
2) They take your suggestion and do not make changes.

So you can suggest fine. But that doesn't mean YOUR suggestion gets implimented.

No I don't enjoy living in a dictatorship. That's why I live in the USA! haha. BUT when you register to this site, you agree to abide by the rules and regulations of this site. PERIOD.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Just explain to me what's wrong about my suggestion. What don't I understand about the suggestion?

I made a poll. Everyone agrees. It's common sense.

Let's see a moderator/admin take a stance on it one way or the other. I haven't seen a committed response one way or the other.

My only question would be why not follow my suggestion. It's common sense. It works for everyone.

It seems like you're saying because you had to struggle to find things I should have to. What if neither of us had to struggle to find things. Wouldn't that be better?

What am I missing here?

Why do you have an attitude toward me when I'm trying to make changes for the better here.

Oh about about registering and abiding by rules. Where are you going with that. Yes moderators have the right to move posts. My suggestion isn't that we take that right away from them. It's just that we change what they're looking for.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Red Card Crew

It seems to me you're the one with the attitude because your particular suggestion isn't facilitating the changes you want.

Absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting changes. But they are after all suggestions, not commands.

Yup I had a hard time, finding crap. Yeah I "suggested" many things. But I didn't write War and Peace complaining about it when it didn't get done either.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 03-15-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the posts should be organized, and topical. Topical is going to be subjective, but I generally don't regard vehicle model/year/generation topical.

Suspension questions should go in the suspension section. If it's related to 07 sedans, then cross post a link to the original thread into the model specific section. Same thing goes for forced induction kits, drag racing, etc.

Now, there are obviously going to be things that pertain to the model itself and those topics should be placed in the correct section. For the 07 sedans, example topics might include questions about the nav, possibly interior panel removal questions, etc. I even consider vehicle-specific picture threads relevant.

What bothers me is the recurrence of the same topics again and again, that are relevant across g35's as a whole, in the various model-specific subsections. Questions about clutches, seat controls, exhausts, diffs, gasoline grades, etc etc etc, should be placed in the correct locations because other owners will benefit from the discussions.

But I admit certain topics can be confusing to categorize. A few weeks ago I asked a question about fitment of wheels and tires for a drag racing setup. Does that go in the drag racing section? The wheels/tires section? What about the first-gen sedan section? After all, the sedans have different fitment requirements than the coupes.

Now onto threads in the 07 section itself. I think the Stillen exhaust thread should have been homed to the intake/exhaust section. I think the threads about the h&r springs should have been placed in the suspension section. Otherwise, the 07 section will soon develop to be like the coupe section: a quagmire of topics that is difficult to index and search.

As for your poll results, those don't surprise me considering the sampling and target. I was being sarcastic when I originally referenced the not-yet-existing poll. I think a poll that targets all 40 some odd thousand members, across all years and models(remember, there's M and FX sections as well) might show different results. But then again I could be wrong. The majority of members are coupe owners, who by and large don't seem to have high regard for organized information IMO.

The fact that you created the poll is fine with me, but the fact that you specifically targeted 2007 owners seems a bit...separatist to me, for lack of a better word. I get the impression that in asking 2007 owners what their preferences are, you are setting the expectation that as a group, you owners can follow a different set of rules than the rest.

But to be fair, the enforcement of thread placement is hardly even. If your original picture thread was moved, why haven't the two picture thread stickies in that same section yet been moved?

In the end, I tend to agree with Jeff. Of course, this site is nothing without its members. But this site is first and foremost: free. If you want to support it, become a premier member. That might get you a little more traction, so to speak. Otherwise, you come off as a new member that wants to change the ways of things, ways that have served thousands of members over hundreds of thousands of posts for the past several years just fine.

God I sound like an old fuddyduddy. I'm only 30, I promise.

Let me put it this way. When I purchased my(my son's actually) PS3 in November, I started to frequent ps3forums.com. That site has been around for a few years already, and I'm a newcomer. I don't particularly like several of the site's rules, but I don't consider it my place to try to affect change on those rules. Just different opinions, I guess.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I think the posts should be organized, and topical. Topical is going to be subjective, but I generally don't regard vehicle model/year/generation topical.

Suspension questions should go in the suspension section. If it's related to 07 sedans, then cross post a link to the original thread into the model specific section. Same thing goes for forced induction kits, drag racing, etc.

Now, there are obviously going to be things that pertain to the model itself and those topics should be placed in the correct section. For the 07 sedans, example topics might include questions about the nav, possibly interior panel removal questions, etc. I even consider vehicle-specific picture threads relevant.

What bothers me is the recurrence of the same topics again and again, that are relevant across g35's as a whole, in the various model-specific subsections. Questions about clutches, seat controls, exhausts, diffs, gasoline grades, etc etc etc, should be placed in the correct locations because other owners will benefit from the discussions.

But I admit certain topics can be confusing to categorize. A few weeks ago I asked a question about fitment of wheels and tires for a drag racing setup. Does that go in the drag racing section? The wheels/tires section? What about the first-gen sedan section? After all, the sedans have different fitment requirements than the coupes.

Now onto threads in the 07 section itself. I think the Stillen exhaust thread should have been homed to the intake/exhaust section. I think the threads about the h&r springs should have been placed in the suspension section. Otherwise, the 07 section will soon develop to be like the coupe section: a quagmire of topics that is difficult to index and search.

As for your poll results, those don't surprise me considering the sampling and target. I was being sarcastic when I originally referenced the not-yet-existing poll. I think a poll that targets all 40 some odd thousand members, across all years and models(remember, there's M and FX sections as well) might show different results. But then again I could be wrong. The majority of members are coupe owners, who by and large don't seem to have high regard for organized information IMO.

The fact that you created the poll is fine with me, but the fact that you specifically targeted 2007 owners seems a bit...separatist to me, for lack of a better word. I get the impression that in asking 2007 owners what their preferences are, you are setting the expectation that as a group, you owners can follow a different set of rules than the rest.

But to be fair, the enforcement of thread placement is hardly even. If your original picture thread was moved, why haven't the two picture thread stickies in that same section yet been moved?

In the end, I tend to agree with Jeff. Of course, this site is nothing without its members. But this site is first and foremost: free. If you want to support it, become a premier member. That might get you a little more traction, so to speak. Otherwise, you come off as a new member that wants to change the ways of things, ways that have served thousands of members over hundreds of thousands of posts for the past several years just fine.

God I sound like an old fuddyduddy. I'm only 30, I promise.

Let me put it this way. When I purchased my(my son's actually) PS3 in November, I started to frequent ps3forums.com. That site has been around for a few years already, and I'm a newcomer. I don't particularly like several of the site's rules, but I don't consider it my place to try to affect change on those rules. Just different opinions, I guess.
I truly can say I cannot find one false statement, or suggestion made in this entire post. You have pinpointed (or lack of) this entire issue in one single post. Always a pleasure reading your insight, and thoughts on things.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:38 PM
It seems to me you're the one with the attitude because your particular suggestion isn't facilitating the changes you want.

Absolutely nothing with suggesting changes. But they are after all suggestions, not commands.

Yup I had a hard time, finding crap. Yeah I "suggested" many things. But I didn't write War and Peace complaining about it when it didn't get done either.
Way to hit the nail on the head Jeff. I am glad someone finally said the obvious here.

Perfect.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestion for the site, because this doesn't make any sense...