G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Suggestion for the site, because this doesn't make any sense...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestion for the site, because this doesn't make any sense...

This thread https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/144837-some-night-pictures.html), now locked brings up a very good point that really makes no sense.

You have a 2007 G35 Sedan forum, yet if you post pictures of a 2007 G35 Sedan on the forum it gets moved to some random "general topic" picture share forum.

Why ?!?!?!?!??!?!

Why have a 2007 G35 Sedan forum if you're going to move threads with pictures?

Many people, myself included, likely frequent the site only to see information about their specific interest or car. I like other Infiniti's, but too be honest I only come to this site for 2007 G35 Sedan content.

Why would you want to move photographs from the forum? It seems like people keep asking for pictures and now I know why, because they second you post a picture it ends up being moved.

The method suggested in the thread I made doesn't make sense either. Post the pictures in the picture share forum then post a link in the 2007 G35 Sedan forum to direct people to it. Why ?!?!?!?!

It's not like g35driver.com is hosting the pictures. I'm hosting the pictures. Let me put them in the forum that is "on topic" and where they belong.

On top of that my thread was moved without so much as a PM or e-mail. Now I know the moderator(s) are within their right to move, delete, lock a thread without doing so, but where is the common courtesy. Maybe that should be a standard. I go through the effort of posting up some pictures to share and they get moved to a different forum that I've never been to and frankly had no intention of going to.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB The Body

This seems to be more of the continuation of the whinning then actually posting up A SUGGESTION. The whinning and taking the thread OT is what got the thread getting locked down plus the other thing which is a no no.

I'll give one hint of why it is set up that way amoung many other reasons ..... 56k . I could go on an on but really don't have the time to dwell on this. Don't you fellas have a sticky thread for what you want to do in that forum

I would suggest as newbees, prowl around for awhile, get your sea legs here before re-inventing the wheel.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The site has subsections for a reason. There's a drag racing section, a technical section(with more specific sections under that), a section for DIY, a section for wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, you name it.

The problem with posting a thread full of pictures in the 07 section is because people will miss it there. You see it all the time. For example, somebody asks a question about the clutch in a general section like the Coupe forums. The problem has likely already been discussed, and probably already solved. If it hasn't, then having it in the Coupe forum is a disservice to the other owners(1st gen sedan, 07 sedan) that might benefit from the information.

The bottom line is that with a site this large, information management becomes an issue. The sections, and rules, are an attempt to keep information overflow to a minimum.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Trey

You hit it on the head.... The bottom line is that with a site this large, information management becomes an issue. The sections, and rules, are an attempt to keep information overflow to a minimum. but I wouldn't have expected a different response from you.....lol

Regards to U know who ..

Old 03-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Well said Trey, always good to hear an opinion from a stand up guy like yourself.

This comes down to one simple issue, new members needing to learn to navigate the site more over just isolating themselves to one specific forum. It is unforunate that a specific member has gotten used to information being in one central forum for such a long time, but that is not how it should be. Other forums exist that can provide a wide range of knowledge, but you have to use the search feature. If you (I am referencing the creator of this thread) dugg deeper into various forums, and sub-forums you would find exactly what you were looking for, though it may take a few minutes longer, it will most likely be in it's proper location. As Trey explained, a site of this size needs to be organized, or you will have recurring threads that cover the same information over and over again. So my suggestion is to spend some time navigating through the site, and it's various forums, you will be surprised at what you will find.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I disagree with the organization of this site or at least with the current attempt to move everything. IE/ The Stillen exhaust thread that was just moved from the '07 forum. It is now in the Exhaust section, fine.... but nowhere in the title does it say anything about being for an 07. It is simply titled "Impressions of Stillen Exhaust". Someone looking for information on exhausts for an 07 Sedan, will look in the '07 Sedan forum. This is even proven in the thread. There are people who responded to that thread before it was moved who did not know the topic had already been discussed and the clips they were looking for had been posted because the previous thread was either posted or moved to the exhaust thread.

I am a proud '07 sedan owner, I immediatly go to the '07 Sedan section first and spend 90% of my time in there looking to get ideas/information for MY car. I do not want to have to go to a seperate forum and weed through ALL the information about ALL the models in order to find very specific idea. When it is all in one section specific to your make/model you can actually get new ideas you were not considering previously. For instance, I had no intentions of upgrading my exhaust, and would have probably never visited the exhaust thread. As it is, I saw the 'Stillen' threads while still in the '07 Sedan forum and have become interested.

Finally, I hope you don't take this as "whining". I just think the majority of users are like myself. If I am looking for something that pertains to the '07 Sedan or '05 Coupe or whatever, my first stop is that forum. Maybe a poll to see what the users prefer would be a good idea? Overall this is a great site, but its getting tough to find threads you have posted in when they keep being relocated...

Old 03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by hokiesean24
I disagree with the organization of this site or at least with the current attempt to move everything. IE/ The Stillen exhaust thread that was just moved from the '07 forum. It is now in the Exhaust section, fine.... but nowhere in the title does it say anything about being for an 07. It is simply titled "Impressions of Stillen Exhaust". Someone looking for information on exhausts for an 07 Sedan, will look in the '07 Sedan forum. This is even proven in the thread. There are people who responded to that thread before it was moved who did not know the topic had already been discussed and the clips they were looking for had been posted because the previous thread was either posted or moved to the exhaust thread.
I am sorry you feel this way, but it is nice to live in a free country where you can voice your concerns, so for that, it is noted. We/I can't make everyone happy with my actions, though they may seem wrong to others, they are for the good of the site overall. Catering to a few people that are misguided is something that won't happen.

I am a proud '07 sedan owner, I immediatly go to the '07 Sedan section first and spend 90% of my time in there looking to get ideas/information for MY car.
Congrats on your 2007 Sedan, I hope you are enjoying your car, it is a fine automobile. Your statement right there is the enabler of this so-called issue we have here. 90% of your time in one forum looking for specific information about any aftermarket part is not where you will find results. If you want specific information about an exhaust in this example, look in the Tech Area, what may I ask is holding you back from venturing into that Forum? I would say convinience, but you may have another less obvious reason.

Finally, I hope you don't take this as "whining". I just think the majority of users are like myself. If I am looking for something that pertains to the '07 Sedan or '05 Coupe or whatever, my first stop is that forum. Maybe a poll to see what the users prefer would be a good idea? Overall this is a great site, but its getting tough to find threads you have posted in when they keep being relocated...
Majority? Poll? I don't know how to respond to this, or maybe I just don't have the energy to go into the detail that I would like.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a proud '07 sedan owner, I immediatly go to the '07 Sedan section first and spend 90% of my time in there looking to get ideas/information for MY car. I do not want to have to go to a seperate forum and weed through ALL the information about ALL the models in order to find very specific idea. When it is all in one section specific to your make/model you can actually get new ideas you were not considering previously. For instance, I had no intentions of upgrading my exhaust, and would have probably never visited the exhaust thread. As it is, I saw the 'Stillen' threads while still in the '07 Sedan forum and have become interested.

The issue in that particular case, in my opinion, is one of a poor title. Stillen makes two exhausts for the first gen sedan, a coupe exhaust, a 350z exhaust, now a 2007 sedan exhaust, and different variations of ypipes and rear sections. So a thread titled "Impressions of Stillen Exhaust" is ambiguous at best.

Many people, like myself, do not frequent a specific section per se. Rather, I simply click on the New Posts link. As a result, I get a paginated list of threads that have had responses since my last activity. The rightmost column in this table lists the forum in which the thread exists. So when an author starts a thread with an ambiguous title, it's no surprise that members will venture into the thread expecting something completely different.

I'll cite a specific example. The clutches in the first gen g35's have been known to "stick." Every week, some member will start a new thread in the sedan or coupe sections, asking "why is my clutch sticking?". This behavior applies to both the coupes and and the sedans, and I predict it still affects the 2nd gen sedans as well. Those of us that have experienced the issue try to comment, but sometimes we miss those posts, or sometimes we get tired of posting the same information over and over simply because the author was too lazy to do any personal research. As a result, those threads often become filled with wrong, sometimes harmful information.

If these threads were put in the proper locations, and members would be considerate enough to consult with those locations, we could keep disinformation to a minimum.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by crypten
Catering to a few people that are misguided is something that won't happen.
"Misguided", how so? I would hope this is not an attempt to belittle and dismiss the ideas of others because they are contrary to your own...

If you want specific information about an exhaust in this example, look in the Tech Area, what may I ask is holding you back from venturing into that Forum? I would say convinience, but you may have another less obvious reason.
As I stated, I was NOT looking for sepcific exhaust information, I just happened to run across it in the '07 forum. I have since become more interested and may look into it in more depth. As for venturing into the tech forums, I have to some degree, enough to learn that there it is (in my opinion) very heavily slanted towards coupe owners. They do a lot more to their cars along the lines of modifications, so they have a lot more to discuss in those forums, so much so that most titles do not indicate if the thread is about coupes or sedans, usually presumably coupes. If we insist on keeping 'tech' talk away from 'general' talk, why not create seperate coupe/sedan tech forums? If we are going to insist on making each forum super specific? I think this would encourage the sedan owners to use the tech forums more... again, just a thought.

Majority? Poll? I don't know how to respond to this, or maybe I just don't have the energy to go into the detail that I would like.
Just a thought, I will not overstep my bounds and try to cause an uproar, I just thought it might be a way to gauge the feelings of more individuals who use this forum.

Last edited by hokiesean24; 03-14-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
The issue in that particular case, in my opinion, is one of a poor title. Stillen makes two exhausts for the first gen sedan, a coupe exhaust, a 350z exhaust, now a 2007 sedan exhaust, and different variations of ypipes and rear sections. So a thread titled "Impressions of Stillen Exhaust" is ambiguous at best.
The thread was posted in the 2007 Sedan forum, which would indicate that is was the Stillen exhaust made for that vehicle. The thread title is only ambiguous now that it has been moved to a forum that is used for general exhaust topics about all the makes/models discussed on this site.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by O NO
MB The Body

This seems to be more of the continuation of the whinning then actually posting up A SUGGESTION. The whinning and taking the thread OT is what got the thread getting locked down plus the other thing which is a no no.

I'll give one hint of why it is set up that way amoung many other reasons ..... 56k . I could go on an on but really don't have the time to dwell on this. Don't you fellas have a sticky thread for what you want to do in that forum

I would suggest as newbees, prowl around for awhile, get your sea legs here before re-inventing the wheel.
Are you kidding me? First all I've been on car forums since 2001 so I know how they work and how they should work. Why have a suggestion forum and then shoot me down and call me a newbee. Yes I will try to re-invent the wheel because right now it's a square and doesn't drive nicely.

Catch my drift?

So what 56k is the reason why we don't get to see pictures of our 07 sedans in the forum? That's really the reason. High speed internet is popular these days. If anything how about this forum classic title.

Pictures of my 2007 G35 Sedan ***56k Beware***

Was that so hard?

I'm not whining, I am making a suggestion because this setup makes no sense. It should be changed I'm sure most everyone agrees. Even those with 56k connections.

Again why have a 2007 G35 Sedan forum if we have to search other forums for the content we want to see?

Well said Trey, always good to hear an opinion from a stand up guy like yourself.

This comes down to one simple issue, new members needing to learn to navigate the site more over just isolating themselves to one specific forum. It is unforunate that a specific member has gotten used to information being in one central forum for such a long time, but that is not how it should be. Other forums exist that can provide a wide range of knowledge, but you have to use the search feature. If you (I am referencing the creator of this thread) dugg deeper into various forums, and sub-forums you would find exactly what you were looking for, though it may take a few minutes longer, it will most likely be in it's proper location. As Trey explained, a site of this size needs to be organized, or you will have recurring threads that cover the same information over and over again. So my suggestion is to spend some time navigating through the site, and it's various forums, you will be surprised at what you will find.
So if you want to find 2007 G35 Sedan content go to General Discussions > Media Share > Picture Share and have at it. How about that is a waste of my time? I come to this site for one thing and one thing alone, 2007 G35 Sedan content. I like the other Infiniti's, but that's not what I'm here for. Should the site cater to me, no not necessarily, but I'm not alone. The reason why you don't see more complaints is because threads disappear without so much as a warning or explanation. How would you even come to suggest the change when you don't know your thread is moved anyway.

It's funny how because I'm new I can't make suggestions.

A site this large?

Who cares!!!!

It's pictures about the 2007 G35 Sedan. Leave them in that forum where they belong. Don't move them to a general forum. That's simply asinine.

Last edited by MB The Body; 03-14-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI
^^^^ LOL who's wasting who's time... roflmao

Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I give up. You might as well take down the suggestion forum if that's how you're gonna operate.

I make a suggestion most agree with and then you make fun of me.

Classy bunch you guys are.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes, I also love the belittling of suggestions that differ from their ideas...

Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 PM
So what is the purpose of having the subforums?

Sounds like the admins have too much time on their hands.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestion for the site, because this doesn't make any sense...