G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Question on censorship in "location" field

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on censorship in "location" field

Hello,

I received a PM yesterday from "InTgr8r" regarding the text of my "location".

The PM read:

"Noticed that you are advertising your web site in your profile 'Location'.
Would you please remove it.

Thanks."

We were a vendor on this site for many years, and apparently our "location" field still had our URL. After receiving the PM, I quickly changed it to a non-business location. However, after less than an hour or two, that location was censored/deleted.

Questions:

1. Which item of the TOU allows moderators/administrators to censor the location field information if the field does not include a link or URL that is related to a business?

2. Given that my "location" field information was deleted/censored after I changed it (upon InTgr8r's request), why was I not informed via PM or other means that the information I had changed the "location" field to was a violation of the TOU?

3. If the information that I provided for my new "location" violated the TOU, please tell me:

A. Why I wasn't informed that it violated the TOU
B. Where, specifically it violates the TOU

Last, I've taken a screen shot of this thread, in case it gets deleted or censored. I'm hoping that, given our tenure and standing in this community, that we can keep things amicable.

Hoping for a quick response and even quicker resolution to what seems to be a blatant injustice on the part of a person or persons on the staff of G35driver.

Kind regards,

Darren
C.O.O.
Intensepower

Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have responded to you by PM. However, per your commentary on taking screen shots for evidence purposes, if it is important to you to have the response open to the community, I'll be happy to post it. Your call.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Hello,

I received a PM yesterday from "InTgr8r" regarding the text of my "location".

The PM read:

"Noticed that you are advertising your web site in your profile 'Location'.
Would you please remove it.

Thanks."

We were a vendor on this site for many years, and apparently our "location" field still had our URL. After receiving the PM, I quickly changed it to a non-business location. However, after less than an hour or two, that location was censored/deleted.

Questions:

1. Which item of the TOU allows moderators/administrators to censor the location field information if the field does not include a link or URL that is related to a business?

2. Given that my "location" field information was deleted/censored after I changed it (upon InTgr8r's request), why was I not informed via PM or other means that the information I had changed the "location" field to was a violation of the TOU?

3. If the information that I provided for my new "location" violated the TOU, please tell me:

A. Why I wasn't informed that it violated the TOU
B. Where, specifically it violates the TOU

Last, I've taken a screen shot of this thread, in case it gets deleted or censored. I'm hoping that, given our tenure and standing in this community, that we can keep things amicable.

Hoping for a quick response and even quicker resolution to what seems to be a blatant injustice on the part of a person or persons on the staff of G35driver.

Kind regards,

Darren
C.O.O.
Intensepower
Blatant injustice Darren, what exactly would that be? Please tell me as I'm really curious here. You were no longer a paying Sponsor here yet had a commercial advertising URL in your sig. When asked that it be removed, you responded by putting an immature and derogatory remark against the forum in your sig. How mature. If you want to continue to be a paying Sponsor on Driver you can certainly contact IB.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Traveling Administrator
Btw, now that I've posted Darren be sure and take additional screen shots.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
While I can understand the issue with the location thing, there are worse sigs and open posts about goods and services for sale that make this seem a little over moderated to me.

Don't ban me!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rookie
..there are worse sigs and open posts about goods and services for sale that make this seem a little over moderated to me.
werd

Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
As I have found out for myself, this is not a democracy, it is a private ownership. We are allowed to post at the pleasure of the owner, we cannot ultimately decide what is posted here.

Is that fair? No.

But it is what it is.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Moderation-free
While I can understand the issue with the location thing, there are worse sigs and open posts about goods and services for sale that make this seem a little over moderated to me.

Don't ban me!
That's an odd take - the mods have so far only answered the OP's question, and corrected a behavior that was obviously a problem.

Over-moderated (excellent new term btw ) would be to punish the guy without answering or warning him.

We change sigs etc. whenever we see them - based on your comment, I'll look around...

Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe selective moderation would be the better term. making it all up as I go. Lol

Intense continues to support the community through my350z, as do some other ex vendors. I frequent both forums a lot, and I see the difference between user bases and I see the difference between moderators. I don't think either sets of moderators are bad, they fit the user bases as the moderators should. But I do see more people gettin away with making a buck on this forum without paying vs my350z. I owe money to IB right now, I intend to pay it up and am still thinking about continuing the sponsorship or not. The money isn't all that much, I'd be happy to pay just to support the community but when you see others just taking what they can get left and right it gets to be a little annoying.

Example since it has nothing to do with me is detailing. I seem to only know of a few that are paying sponsors yet other detailing professionals come on the forums drumming up business. Doesn't seem fair to the guy paying to advertise. This may be off base from the original topic but does financial support for 1part of the community not count for anything? I haven't searched Darrens posts but he's a pretty stand up guy to me.

Blah blah blah, in the end there's a lot right going on some wrong and it is what it is.

Ps don't ban me.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Traveling Administrator
Maybe selective moderation would be the better term. making it all up as I go. Lol

Intense continues to support the community through my350z, as do some other ex vendors. I frequent both forums a lot, and I see the difference between user bases and I see the difference between moderators. I don't think either sets of moderators are bad, they fit the user bases as the moderators should. But I do see more people gettin away with making a buck on this forum without paying vs my350z. I owe money to IB right now, I intend to pay it up and am still thinking about continuing the sponsorship or not. The money isn't all that much, I'd be happy to pay just to support the community but when you see others just taking what they can get left and right it gets to be a little annoying.

Example since it has nothing to do with me is detailing. I seem to only know of a few that are paying sponsors yet other detailing professionals come on the forums drumming up business. Doesn't seem fair to the guy paying to advertise. This may be off base from the original topic but does financial support for 1part of the community not count for anything? I haven't searched Darrens posts but he's a pretty stand up guy to me.

Blah blah blah, in the end there's a lot right going on some wrong and it is what it is.

Ps don't ban me.
Totally understand Rookie, I completely agree that it's not fair. If you ever see a non-sponsor advertising their business here on Driver, please feel free to PM me or any other member of the Staff. It's difficult for us to watch over every member, so I have no doubt that some members do get away with advertising without paying. It's not something we take lightly and we always take immediate action when we see it.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Moderation-free
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Totally understand Rookie, I completely agree that it's not fair. If you ever see a non-sponsor advertising their business here on Driver, please feel free to PM me or any other member of the Staff. It's difficult for us to watch over every member, so I have no doubt that some members do get away with advertising without paying. It's not something we take lightly and we always take immediate action when we see it.
Ditto - seriously, we want sponsors to get their money's worth, and want to know about unpaid advertising / selling.