G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Screening new members (semi-serious)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
That could've been prevented if the OP didn't use his first post to create a redundant thread.

See? It's a cycle.

I like that idea.

That's fine and I'm willing to help out when I can if it looks like someone has put forth the effort into searching for themselves, but came up empty handed. Not some ******* that found this board by mistake and assumes that the forums are like a magic genie.

Click on any topic that looks like it might've been asked a million times before. Look at the OP's thread count. More often than not, I can count their total posts on one hand.
Yeah, I agree we do get members like that, but are we really going to let that ruin it for the rest of us for when we do search and the thread that we find after hours of searching comes up with a member posting "SEARCH"?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I get what you're saying, but I don't think that you're looking at this as a whole. It can't be used on existing members, too hard to implement. Set it up for new users. You're an existing user, so it won't effect you.

You = 350 posts.

You post a question about something, explain that you've searched and have found nothing.

No one can say "SEARCH" without looking like a douche.

-----------------------Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice-------------------------------

New User who finds this site on google = 0 posts.

Does not introduce him/herself, obviously didn't search, didn't even bother to look at the stickys at the top that clearly answer his question of "I NED 2 KNOW WUT DA BEST COILOVERS IS"

I didn't suggest that the new post block should be for everyone, just for those that sign up, post one question, and never come back. And yeah, I know it's easy to think that if they only do it once, why is it a problem? Because it's about 15 people everyday that do it once.

Lastly, how can you search for HOURS on a topic? I can usually find what I need in about 5 minutes, it's never taken more than 10.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 PM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
i cant even search lol....

i just dig through threads til i find what Im looking for

Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
I think the problem for some is they don't know how to properly search, they just type in the search box and end up coming up with a bunch of unrelated treads. I made a How to search thread a while back but not a lot of interest was shown. If people knew how to search properly it may help. Here is my how to.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35driv...ow-search.html

Old 06-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
I get what you're saying, but I don't think that you're looking at this as a whole. It can't be used on existing members, too hard to implement. Set it up for new users. You're an existing user, so it won't effect you.

You = 350 posts.

You post a question about something, explain that you've searched and have found nothing.

No one can say "SEARCH" without looking like a douche.

-----------------------Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice-------------------------------

New User who finds this site on google = 0 posts.

Does not introduce him/herself, obviously didn't search, didn't even bother to look at the stickys at the top that clearly answer his question of "I NED 2 KNOW WUT DA BEST COILOVERS IS"

I didn't suggest that the new post block should be for everyone, just for those that sign up, post one question, and never come back. And yeah, I know it's easy to think that if they only do it once, why is it a problem? Because it's about 15 people everyday that do it once.

Lastly, how can you search for HOURS on a topic? I can usually find what I need in about 5 minutes, it's never taken more than 10.
Not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, but I'm just speaking for those who are actually new members. I hardly see people post those dumb questions and I'm sure that's what a moderator job is for anyways. I mean if it gets ridiculous you can put THAT member on a probation period but not ALL the members.

I just cant justify why ALL the new incoming members have to suffer for very few dumb members. I know it won't apply to me but just think of the long run future of how annoying it will be to sign up and find out that just to ask a question that may not have been asked before is full of obstacles. But your idea is getting somewhere!

I think more moderators would fix the issue. I don't really see much of the "SEARCH" issue around here.

@finallygotag, lol i usually do that too, sometimes its a lot quicker then typing in keywords and finding a bunch of unrelated topics.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
wait, the coupe 19's fit the sedan?! zomg!

jk.. in any event i agree. these forums even evolved in having tags in the threads now, that i noticed its easy to type a question in google and it links to various forums, including this one, that its even more easier to search a topic..

Old 06-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jack
I'm too new to this forum to comment on whether or not the following is a problem on G35driver, but it's a huge problem on some DSM boards that I've been on for many years:

When you search for the answers to even the simplest questions, you either find ten threads with twenty different answers, or a giant argument over whether answer a is better than answer b. So newbies often create threads in hopes of finding a correct, clear answer, and instead either get the same contradictory answers, the same argument, or a bashing for asking a question that really hasn't been clearly answered.

That's why it's important to have a sticky full of clear, definitive answers to common newbie questions in each forum.
Originally Posted by iwant2drift
Theres actually a very easy and clever fix for this issue...

If any of you guys are on the AVS forum you would know what I'm talking about...

On that forum, when you are first starting a topic and enter the topic title, it automatically searches through all the old threads and brings up the titles similar to the name you input, basically showing you the threads similar to the one you may be posting....you can then click on that thread and look at it to see if you can find your answer in there...

I think its a much more clever way of getting rid of duplicate threads than for new members to receive the old "USE SEARCH F***" insults and unwelcoming vibe from current members.
i really like both of these ideas and think it would be a good idea if you could use both the ideas. i also search and when looking through threads there are mass arguements and not as much usefull information. i still don't find what im looking for some of the time and thus have to make a post on here or a fellow site. there is never gonna be a way to cut out all the useless posts b/c not all new people have been on a forum before and understand the manners and rules of forums. but this is a good issue and thank god we don't really have a problem with this on the marketplace as well.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
It's a double edge sword. When newbies create a new thread, they get attacked for not using the "search" function.

But, when a newbie bumps up an old thread, members once again, refuse to answer any "new" questions related to the topic and attacks the newbie for bumping an old thread.

Example:

Old Thread: Posted 1/2007 8:35am
How do I recirculate the cabin air w/o turning on the A/C...

Newbie Post: Posted 1/2010 6:35pm
So, is there a way to recirculate the cabin air w/o turning on the A/C?

OG Members: Posted 1/2010 6:37pm
LMAO! WOW, OLD THREAD BUMPAGE. In before the ban.

Newbie Post: Posted 1/2010 6:55pm
I don't get it? Can we or can we not?

OG Members: Posted 7:33pm
Use the search function moron.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
^ good point but I would imagine the ones that say "search" in an unkind matter don't know the answer and just want to post *****