G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

08 G37 6mt vs. 06 G35 Coupe 6mt performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I don't think you quite get it. For the most part, this is an enthusiast's forum. The vast majority of members here bought the first generation cars because of the performance, be it 1/4 time, real tracking, autocrossing, or just having fun on some mountain roads. This car doesn't excel over the first gen in any measurable performance category.

Infiniti had a formula and product plan for the first generation. They wanted to beat the 3 series. It was a two part attack: offer better performance for less money. For round two, they can now only offer "nearly the same" performance for less money.

As a fan of the brand, I'm sad to see that Infiniti is no longer competitive. Sure, a magazine picked the g37 for first place. Big friggin deal. Did that magazine article increase your ***** size? Will it feet hungry children? The only thing that I took away from the Motortrend article is that the g37 had similar handling characteristics to a non-sport 335i, was slower, and accomplished all this miraculously for thousands less.

The G37 is now a known quantity. The interior is just like the 07 sedan(which is quite nice, my wife drives one), which IMO is better than the 3 series all day long. But that's it. It's got a nice interior, and it's cheaper. Wow. Great job Infiniti.

How about keeping the same drivetrain, and find a way to lose 300 pounds. It would be faster(stock for stock, possibly the fastest in it's segment), and it would handle even better. Have you considered that? That extra weight impacts everything having to do with the car. Handling dynamics, acceleration, stopping distances, weight transition, and fuel economy(in case you didn't notice that's another area where the bimmer bested the coupe).

Infiniti had the option to duplicate the success of the first gen car, but lost the target.

I hate to say this.. but GIVE IT A REST.. I dont need another quote about how this is a forum for enthusiasts..... ya THINK? You dont work for Infiniti do you? if the answer is no.. then you have no idea what they're doing or why they're doing what they do.. but i guarantee they have a lot of smart people who know the industry better than you and I and i believe they're doing what the market dictates they do in order to sell more cars. Hows that for a run-on sentence.

other than that.. keep up the great posts!

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 06-26-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by ratm68
I think a lot of people are disapointed in the '08 coupe. It sounds like you're looking for people to give praise on the g37 so you can feel better about your buying decision. Perhap the potential buyers can find some of the disapointed expressed informal, rather than always relying on the "newer = better" theory of purchasing. Nobody's trying to knock on the g37, i think people (including myself) had higher expectation.
Ummm... I CHOSE the G37... I was never forced to buy it. I had the options of getting the Acura TL-S, Lexus IS350, BMW 335i Coupe or Sedan, Infiniti G35 Sedan, Audi TT, 2008 MB C350, and the Infiniti G37. I chose the Infiniti G37 over all of them... why? because I believe that it's the best car out of all of those choices to me.

What I'm looking for is for all the whining to stop (although that will not happen and I accept that). A lot of the whining has to do with things that could be modified (speed for example) or things that cant be changed (weight for example). It's extremely annoying to see so many whiners every day on this forum, but hey, I'll deal with it.

If anyone truly believes that Infiniti will listen to them from all the whining here... I think you should actually whine DIRECTLY to Infiniti and post it on a forum where supposedly there are just enthusiasts. Infiniti isn't looking to sell to only enthusiasts, which is a smaller market, but to a much larger audience. The people at Infiniti I trust know what they're doing with the G37... they have their reasons and they know the business a lot better than anyone here (or at least I believe so). The G37 may not have been to what YOU expected... but it did become what INFINITI expected, and that's what matters for them. If you're looking for a real enthusiast vehicle... wait for the 2009 370Z (official name unknown).

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-26-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
other than that.. keep up the great posts!
lol

Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't think you quite get it. For the most part, this is an enthusiast's forum. The vast majority of members here bought the first generation cars because of the performance, be it 1/4 time, real tracking, autocrossing, or just having fun on some mountain roads. This car doesn't excel over the first gen in any measurable performance category.

Infiniti had a formula and product plan for the first generation. They wanted to beat the 3 series. It was a two part attack: offer better performance for less money. For round two, they can now only offer "nearly the same" performance for less money.

As a fan of the brand, I'm sad to see that Infiniti is no longer competitive. Sure, a magazine picked the g37 for first place. Big friggin deal. Did that magazine article increase your ***** size? Will it feet hungry children? The only thing that I took away from the Motortrend article is that the g37 had similar handling characteristics to a non-sport 335i, was slower, and accomplished all this miraculously for thousands less.

The G37 is now a known quantity. The interior is just like the 07 sedan(which is quite nice, my wife drives one), which IMO is better than the 3 series all day long. But that's it. It's got a nice interior, and it's cheaper. Wow. Great job Infiniti.

How about keeping the same drivetrain, and find a way to lose 300 pounds. It would be faster(stock for stock, possibly the fastest in it's segment), and it would handle even better. Have you considered that? That extra weight impacts everything having to do with the car. Handling dynamics, acceleration, stopping distances, weight transition, and fuel economy(in case you didn't notice that's another area where the bimmer bested the coupe).

Infiniti had the option to duplicate the success of the first gen car, but lost the target.
I hope you dont "feet hungry children", if you did, that would make you one sick person.

As per the ***** thing. I am sorry that Infiniti didnt make a car that made the buyer feel like he had a big *****. If you look around maybe you will find a car that makes you feel that way, I guess thats why some cars like the bmw cost 10g more, they make you "feel" like you have a bigger *****? Even still the buyer gets the short end of the stick, for in the end its not.... so maybe this car is not for you....

Sorry I couldnt resist. IMO it should lose 300 pounds or more, but its still one hell of a car w/ the weight....

Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Yimbie

What I'm looking for is for all the whining to stop (although that will not happen and I accept that). A lot of the whining has to do with things that could be modified (speed for example) or things that cant be changed (weight for example). It's extremely annoying to see so many whiners every day on this forum, but hey, I'll deal with it.
And you need to stop whining about the whining. dont take this as me talking to you directly Yimbie.. give me a break guys... like people here have said about the looks of the car when pics were just released/// lets not judge the car until its actually owned and you're driving it on the street.. please.. a month and a half or 2 months of no whining por favor!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by nghiars
And you need to stop whining about the whining. dont take this as me talking to you directly Yimbie.. give me a break guys... like people here have said about the looks of the car when pics were just released/// lets not judge the car until its actually owned and you're driving it on the street.. please.. a month and a half or 2 months of no whining por favor!
On my part, at least I'm trying to do something about the whining. But yes, I would really hope that people wouldn't whine until they actually experience it for themselves but that wont happen, although I wish it would. As long as the whining persists... I will whine too, but as least on my part... I will not whine about it unless I feel that it's greatly needed. I just wish they could whine to Infiniti instead to the future G37 owners on this forum and the G35 enthusiasts... don't know what we would do.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Yimbie
On my part, at least I'm trying to do something about the whining. But yes, I would really hope that people wouldn't whine until they actually experience it for themselves but that wont happen, although I wish it would. As long as the whining persists... I will whine too, but as least on my part... I will not whine about it unless I feel that it's greatly needed. I just wish they could whine to Infiniti instead to the future G37 owners on this forum and the G35 enthusiasts... don't know what we would do.

i understand how you feel but like i always tell my friends.. why b!tch and moan about something we cant change... there will be people whining about the car after it comes out as well.. some people are just never satisfied and thats the way it's always gonna be.. i like heated debates as much as the next guy, but i always need good facts to build a strong argument... there is no real life facts on the car yet besides tested numbers given by magazines that do in fat have plenty of reasons to make something out to appear as something they're not... regardless.. we all know the G37 will be a great car because it is an improvement on top of a car that is already great, the G35, IMO and im sure others on here agree as well. Nevertheless, to each his own.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
As a fan of the brand.... The only thing that I took away from the Motortrend article is that the g37 had similar handling characteristics to a non-sport 335i
Here's where I am really confused. Wouldn't a "fan" know that all 335i's have the sport suspension? The Sport Package on 335i's only adds the sport seats because the sport suspension is standard.

Now, does this "little" error make the rest of your logic/reasoning worthless? Just wondering.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by muscarel
The G37 6mt ran a slower 0-60 (5.4), 0.1 second faster 1/4 mile (13.8), and 1 mph slower trap speed (102) according to edmunds. When you go to the review, hit performance and specs, and the 6mt numbers are there. Or is that data for something else?
You are comparing Edmunds to Car & Driver. There are so many ways to inform you how little sense this makes, I don't even know where to start.

Again, read the article. You will see where Edmunds compares their 5AT G37 tester with their 07 6MT sedan in their fleet, which they previously compared to the 06 6MT coupe.

If we compare similar tests, we might actually get some results we can use. Otherwise, maybe, we should have the kid across the street do his own test and we can rely on that.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:17 AM
I just dont trust magazines numbers , we always get different performance numbers for example the is350 was tested by road and track and they got 0-60 in 6.0 and 1/4 mile in 14.5 seconds and 98 mph and here is the link
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...data_panel.pdf

While car and driver get different number :s 0-60 in 5.1 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.7 and 104 mile and here is the link http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...xus-is350.html
thats about 0.9 different 0-60 and 0.8 different in 1/4 mile .. I dont get it

Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 AM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by Dxb2
I just dont trust magazines numbers , we always get different performance numbers for example the is350 was tested by road and track and they got 0-60 in 6.0 and 1/4 mile in 14.5 seconds and 98 mph and here is the link

While car and driver get different number :s 0-60 in 5.1 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.7 and 104 mile and here is the link http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...xus-is350.html
WOW! I have NEVER heard of a car magazine coming up with 6.0 and 14.5 for the Lexus IS350. Mid-5s at most... but wow 6? Where they were testing? against heavy winds? hehe.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 AM
car and driver tested the 03 coupe

0-60: 5.6
1/4 mile: 14.4

i suppose the numbers vary from test conditions

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rp3rWnF4n1Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rp3rWnF4n1Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by dmkozak
You are comparing Edmunds to Car & Driver. There are so many ways to inform you how little sense this makes, I don't even know where to start.

Again, read the article. You will see where Edmunds compares their 5AT G37 tester with their 07 6MT sedan in their fleet, which they previously compared to the 06 6MT coupe.

If we compare similar tests, we might actually get some results we can use. Otherwise, maybe, we should have the kid across the street do his own test and we can rely on that.
Maybe I've gone crazy but when the Edmunds test first came out, if you clicked on specs and performace the performance data there was for a 2008 G37 6-speed. It showed 13.8 at 102, with a 0-60 in 5.4. I just went back and checked the site and it seems that the data is now for a 5AT. Maybe I am missing something but where did you read of a 13.8 at 102 1/4 mile (since you say I am confusing Edmunds with Car And Driver). I'm doubting myself now, but I read that originally in the Edmunds article for a 6mt (under specs and performance).

This is what the site originally said:

As a comparison, the G37 did the folllowing:

0 - 30 (sec): 2.0
0 - 45 (sec): 3.5
0 - 60 (sec): 5.4
0 - 75 (sec): 7.9
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.8 @ 102.0

I cut and pasted that right from the article into one of my posts, so I got it from somewhere.

I'm not being a wise-a$$, I'm just asking if I got those numbers elsewhere or if the data was for a different car. Can you point me in the right direction? Am I missing something?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Dxb2

Yeah, I remember that. People on drag times were pulling high 13's consistently and yet the magazine showed some odd time). I still think that is the exception to the rule though.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by nghiars
yimbie appointed himself a lawyer for infiniti. apparently we can only like the car, we cant dislike it here.
on the other hand i understand where he's coming from. he's 17 getting a G37, he just finished finals and has nothing else to do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08 G37 6mt vs. 06 G35 Coupe 6mt performance