G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

08 G37 6mt vs. 06 G35 Coupe 6mt performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 G37 6mt vs. 06 G35 Coupe 6mt performance

Looking at Car & Driver's review, I'm a bit confused on this subject. It seems like my coupe is generally accepted to be a 14.0 @ 100mph car. Some people claim slightly better, a lot of people claim worse, but those claiming better are modded and those claiming worse usually reference 2003-2004 models.

Similarly, my coupe is generally accepted to hit 0-60 times of 5.5-5.8 seconds.

So, in C&D's review, we see the G37 @ 100mph after 13.2 seconds, but @60 after 5.3 seconds. This means that if my coupe were lined up alongside during their test, the cars would have been neck & neck @ 60 (maybe a slight lead for the G37) but by 100mph the G37 would have been destroying my car?

The only conclusion that makes sense to me is that they were having trouble getting decent launches from the G37. Crappy launch = slow off the line = slow to 60 but then coming back on really strong.

Also, 0-150 times of 36 seconds seems awefully quick compared to my coupe. I have no experience personally in doing that, but seeing videos of slightly modded 05-06 coupes on the autobahn, it looks like it takes 45-50s to get to 150. 36 seconds seems blisteringly fast by comparison.

So... what gives? Is something wrong with the 3.7L engine in the G37? Is the gearing screwed up? Does the clutch have a problem? Or did C&D just have trouble launching the car and didn't figure it out during their review?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
C&D sucks at launching cars. Seriously, this car is a mid 13-second car with a low 0-60.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Although the powerband is flatter, the car is heavier. And it's peak torque is basically the same as the previous generation. That combination has resulted in a decent although less than blistering 0-60 result but much faster 0-150 result relative to the 0-60. I think that we discerned form the power band vs weight that we would not necessarily notice very much of a difference in 0-30/ 0-60 but that the high end is where this car would excel.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, if that's true, based on how much negativity these early performance numbers are generating, I think it is a pretty big misstep for Infiniti not to release it's own "estimated" performance numbers.

These early reviews which (somewhat unexplainably) show no improvement in the 1/4 mile (13.9 vs. 14.0) but yet show 100mph @ 13.2, 8/10ths of a second quicker -- are still producing a lot of people saying "I'll keep my G35.." "I'll get a 335" "I'll get an IS350" "I'll get the sedan"

That's not a bad thing -- if I decide to upgrade to a G37 (After driving it myself to assess performance, quality, ride, etc), the less clones driving around the better, for me. But for Infiniti, I'd think they want to sell cars and this isn't a great way to sell cars

For me... performance is not a huge deal. Yeah, I'd like my new G37 to be slightly quicker than my G35. But more important to me is that I want the Nissan-esque qualities of my G35 to be gone. Heck, even the altima comes with Intellikey standard now.. and I'm stuck with a 2002 Nissan Keyfob. I want rearview monitor, oem ipod integration, touch screen navi, voice commands. And.. actually, if the 200lbs weight gain is sound deadening (which it seems very possible that's what a lot of it is), I'll take it any day of the week. My coupe is almost embarassingly loud and harsh for a $39k lux GT. But yeh I'm jacking my own thread so I'll stop.

Anyway... I can't imagine the 200lbs makes that much of a difference on launch. At 5% of the car's total weight, I just can't accept that. So.. maybe you are right, and C&D can't launch cars... or maybe there's something else going on... but yeah, it seems early performance numbers are kinda off.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
from the C&D mag article here (https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=164031&page=7) some of that extra weight is from the doors (crash test requirements), engine and brakes.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Previous coupes had heavy doors, too, to meet the very same crash test requirements. C&D was just talking about the coupe being heavier than the sedan due to door reinforcement (longer doors make bigger gap in the body).

The engine and brakes is C&D's own speculation. Probably does account for some of the weight, although Infiniti went to some aluminum brake system parts to get back some of the gains.

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
from the C&D mag article here (https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=164031&page=7) some of that extra weight is from the doors (crash test requirements), engine and brakes.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
New 10inch woofers in the doors, plus the sound deadening for that, new bigger brakes, cast aluminum wheels instead of forged, thats where the weight comes from.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
its a "luxury" sports coupe! I want the luxury and the look and the performance... thats how I see infiniti advertising this car. If you dont want the weight..dont want the luxury.. then look elsewhere. The g37 "is what it is". Its not changing anytime soon.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:10 PM
its a "luxury" sports coupe! I want the luxury and the look and the performance... thats how I see infiniti advertising this car. If you dont want the weight..dont want the luxury.. then look elsewhere. The g37 "is what it is". Its not changing anytime soon.
Very well stated, those who don't like it should move on.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah. Thanks for that, Boston Merlin.

The point of my thread isn't to complain about the luxury and weight. The point is to discuss the seemingly erroneous early performance numbers. To reiterate, I think it is suspect that we see 100mph 8/10ths quicker than the 06 G35 6mt but quarter mile time of 13.9 -- this indicates a bad launch. I was trying to get opinions on what caused the bad launches, or if the G37 in fact has an issue < 60mph (I doubt it). Basically I think people are jumping on the "It's slow" bandwagon and maybe haven't considered this odd piece of the puzzle.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by mal_TX

The point of my thread isn't to complain about the luxury and weight. The point is to discuss the seemingly erroneous early performance numbers. To reiterate, I think it is suspect that we see 100mph 8/10ths quicker than the 06 G35 6mt but quarter mile time of 13.9 -- this indicates a bad launch. I was trying to get opinions on what caused the bad launches, or if the G37 in fact has an issue < 60mph (I doubt it). Basically I think people are jumping on the "It's slow" bandwagon and maybe haven't considered this odd piece of the puzzle.
no worries with your post. I'm seeing many posts about issues with weight and performance. But the fact is this car is plenty fast, with lots of luxury to go around for a price that most of us on this forum can afford. If you want a light weight sports car with all the bells and whistles that can run 0-60/100 in xx seconds flat you'll prob have to go with a much more expensive car. The price point, the looks, the lux and the smile inducing performance is what this car offers me. Bitching about a car you dont have to buy is nuts.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
no worries with your post. I'm seeing many posts about issues with weight and performance. But the fact is this car is plenty fast, with lots of luxury to go around for a price that most of us on this forum can afford. If you want a light weight sports car with all the bells and whistles that can run 0-60/100 in xx seconds flat you'll prob have to go with a much more expensive car. The price point, the looks, the lux and the smile inducing performance is what this car offers me. Bitching about a car you dont have to buy is nuts.
OMG thank you for that post bostonmerlin, that's exactly how I feel. All the constant whining about a car that you don't have to buy on a forum to where there are a lot of people buying it? I don't get it. Why do you whine on a forum of future G37 owners? The G37 is an excellent car for what.... 10k less than the BMW and with it being almost so equal with the Bimmer for that much less? That I say is a great feat by Infiniti.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Looking at Car & Driver's review, I'm a bit confused on this subject.

The only conclusion that makes sense to me is that they were having trouble getting decent launches from the G37.
I may have missed it in C&D's review, but I do not remember C&D saying their performance figures were obtained after they drove the car home and tested it using their normal equipment at their usual location. (Edmunds' review did say they tested at home.)

If so, you really should not compare prior tests to these numbers. The test procedures were not the same nor were the test surfaces.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:52 PM

The point of my thread isn't to complain about the luxury and weight. The point is to discuss the seemingly erroneous early performance numbers.
I am not sure how erroneous those numbers could really be since more than one mag is getting them.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, if that's true, based on how much negativity these early performance numbers are generating, I think it is a pretty big misstep for Infiniti not to release it's own "estimated" performance numbers.
No manufacturer will publish numbers that can not be backed up by fairly conservative. German manufacturers publish such number and magazines beat the published by a sizable amount. If Infiniti were to publish, they would say 0-60 in 5.7 seconds (maybe 5.6 or 5.8) because the engineers told the magazines at Barber that the G37 should reach 0-60 in mid to high 5's.

Now, if Infiniti published 5.7 seconds, you and many others would be all over them for how slow the car is.

You want to know how fast it is? Buy one, drive it and then tell us how it compares to your G35.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08 G37 6mt vs. 06 G35 Coupe 6mt performance