G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

G37 review in Car and Driver Aug Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by muscarel
But don't get the horse before the cart.

Wait...isn't it supposed to be "cart before the horse"?

Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPL
Ohhhh..... I get it. Did you put a down payment on a G37 already?

The difference, btw, from a 13.9 and a 13.3 is night and day. Besides, you can't beat the twin turbo, and its mod potential, of the 335i - not with the G37 anyhow.
Geez.... exactly HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE PLANNING TO TAKE THE G37 TO THE TRACK IN COMPARISON WITH PEOPLE WHO WILL JUST BE USING THE G37 FOR EVERYDAY DRIVING? Did Infiniti create this car just for it to be driven on the track? If that was their aim... dont you guys think that they wouldn't have added 200lbs to the car?

Old 06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants
the question is... am i going to test drive the G37... hmmmmmmm

would be nice for just a comparison.

can we really have a good test drive if the tires aren't warm and only have 20 miles on the car ?

ppp
man, they had a 2300 mile test across the country. what else do you want?

Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by muscarel
Picus,

I was addressing someone's comment that said they couldn't see why someone would buy a G37 over a 335. So, I asked the same question in reverse - the only difference being that I offered actual reasons to backup my question.

We know where you stand on this subject so it doesn't surprise me that you want to believe they drive infinitely different. I HAVE driven the 335 6-speed and even wrote a quick review of it here. So, my comments are not baseless.

Why would you compare your OLD G35 with the NEW 335? We all know that the G37 has addressed alot of the "issues" that plagued the G35 coupe. How can you be assured that it will ride differently when you haven't driven it? You accuse me of buying a car based on magazine reviews buit then you go on to say you know that the bimmer will drive better - have better transmission, etc. Hey, surprise - YOU HAVEN'T DRIVEN THE CAR!

Then again, this doesn't surprise me. I see this all the time on the bimmer forums. The assumption that the BMW was more money because of some intangibles. How about BMW start addressing some tangibles like reliability and technology and stop relying on blind allegiances of BMW owners?

Look, I've said it a million times - the 335 is a great car and I am seriously considering it. But for very different reasons than what is stated here. Do not assume that it must be better because it COSTS more. Do what I am doing and drive both back to back and then make an educated decision on the car's OVERALL ability and value.

Geez, I know you need to defend your ride, but c'mon.
I didn't say the bimmer will drive better, you're so deep in your own opinions on the matter (seriously, how many of your last 200 posts have been about the 335i vs the G37, think about it...) that you can't even see what I posted was a compliment to the Infiniti and the BMW. I said the cars will drive differently, each will have it's advantages but day to day they will feel like different cars, just like the last generation. I am just talking about the way they accelerate, steer, the way the suspensions are tuned. I am not saying either is better, I am saying they will be *different*. That's it.

I don't need to defend my ride. I love my ride and honestly I couldn't possibly care less what a bunch of guys on a *g35* site think of it. I was responding to your ridiculous questions about why anyone would buy a 335i. The answer is: different people like different things.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by picus112
I didn't say the bimmer will drive better, you're so deep in your own **** that you can't even see what I posted was a compliment to the Infiniti and the BMW. I said the cars will drive differently, each will have it's advantages but day to day they will feel like different cars, just like the last generation. I am just talking about the way they accelerate, steer, the way the suspensions are tuned. I am not saying either is better, I am saying they will be *different*. That's it.

I don't need to defend my ride. I love my ride and honestly I couldn't possibly care less what a bunch of guys on a *g35* site think of it. I was responding to your ridiculous questions about why anyone would buy a 335i. The answer is: different people like different things.
Thank you very much for your input picus112. I honestly do appreciate them. I see and perfectly understand your views.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Just to make it crystal clear - I have not ever, nor will I ever, infer the 335i is a better car because it costs more. I think the fact that I put my money where my mouth is and bought two Infiniti products (and put over 200k on them combined) relieves me of any need to prove that I don't have something against Infiniti's. Seriously. I am saying the cars will be different. How do I know? Because you'd be a moron to assume they will feel identical. One is a high revving high displacement NA V6, the other is a low displacement inline 6 with two turbos. The suspensions are different, the steering rack is different, the spring rates are way different, the brakes are different.. despite similar objective testing, they will feel different. For better or for worse (which will depend on the buyer).

I drove the 335i seven times before I bought it. I bought it because I like it - the $5-$10k difference didn't even enter the equation because *I like the car*, and I am the one buying it. If it makes a difference to you, or you prefer the G37's styling, handling, acceleration, steering, braking... etc...buy it and enjoy it!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Just to make it crystal clear - I have not ever, nor will I ever, infer the 335i is a better car because it costs more. I think the fact that I put my money where my mouth is and bought two Infiniti products (and put over 200k on them combined) relieves me of any need to prove that I don't have something against Infiniti's. Seriously. I am saying the cars will be different. How do I know? Because you'd be a moron to assume they will feel identical. One is a high revving high displacement NA V6, the other is a low displacement inline 6 with two turbos. The suspensions are different, the steering rack is different, the spring rates are way different, the brakes are different.. despite similar objective testing, they will feel different. For better or for worse (which will depend on the buyer).

I drove the 335i seven times before I bought it. I bought it because I like it - the $5-$10k difference didn't even enter the equation because *I like the car*, and I am the one buying it. If it makes a difference to you, or you prefer the G37's styling, handling, acceleration, steering, braking... etc...buy it and enjoy it!
Well stated Kevin! Anyone who truly knows you here on the forum should know how objective your posts are on ALL vehicle brands.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Thumbs up

Hey everyone, nice topic you guys have going here.

I've owned a 2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT since the manuals were released for the sedan, Feb 2003. At the time, I wanted a coupe yet ended up with the 4 door because of 2 reasons:
- Better deal
- It drove "better"

The term "better" is completely subjective. At the time, the coupe had 20 HP more, yet was also 100lbs more. I chose the sedan 6MT w/ sport package and have been more than pleased with its performance, handling, comfort, etc.

This time around, after driving the 2007 335i, IS350, and G35, I went with the 335i. Does it have better numbers from the magazines? Slightly. Is that why I bought it? Absolutely not. I bought it on how it drove, which is 100% subjective. (Also helps that it was "only" 2k over invoice w/ the Sport package, $39,435 )

Since the numbers on these 2 coupes are so close, its all about the car's "personality." If the new G37's personality matches yours, you're in luck! It's a beautiful machine.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:11 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Well stated Kevin! Anyone who truly knows you here on the forum should know how objective your posts are on ALL vehicle brands.
Yep, so true. Picus, you've been here much longer than I have but you always seem to see both sides of an argument and are very level headed.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by mantisG35
man, they had a 2300 mile test across the country. what else do you want?
THEY had a 2300 mile test drive.

everyone values and desires different things. so the test drives would be subjective. for me I would prefer a test drive over someone else's review... however if a test drive wasnt avail they i would take the review.

I just want a cookie

ppp

Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by AuxNuke
Hey everyone, nice topic you guys have going here.

I've owned a 2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT since the manuals were released for the sedan, Feb 2003. At the time, I wanted a coupe yet ended up with the 4 door because of 2 reasons:
- Better deal
- It drove "better"

The term "better" is completely subjective. At the time, the coupe had 20 HP more, yet was also 100lbs more. I chose the sedan 6MT w/ sport package and have been more than pleased with its performance, handling, comfort, etc.

This time around, after driving the 2007 335i, IS350, and G35, I went with the 335i. Does it have better numbers from the magazines? Slightly. Is that why I bought it? Absolutely not. I bought it on how it drove, which is 100% subjective. (Also helps that it was "only" 2k over invoice w/ the Sport package, $39,435 )

Since the numbers on these 2 coupes are so close, its all about the car's "personality." If the new G37's personality matches yours, you're in luck! It's a beautiful machine.
Cool. I did the same thing. I had a coupe but bought a sedan after we moved because I needed the space, but also because I actually preferred the drive. It felt lighter on it's feet. Can I quantify that? Hah, good luck.

That MT test where the G37 won is really well written, it should give people a great idea of what to expect going into a test drive.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants
THEY had a 2300 mile test drive.

everyone values and desires different things. so the test drives would be subjective. for me I would prefer a test drive over someone else's review... however if a test drive wasnt avail they i would take the review.

I just want a cookie

ppp
yah ur right. i see what you're saying.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Ok, so you're saying the 335i and the G37 will drive differently. Well, isn't it obvious? If they were both identical in terms of handling and power, everyone would be buying the G37 since it's way cheaper than the 335i.

I guess what people here are saying is that the G37 does not give them the same advantages over the BMW 3 series coupe like the G35 did when it first came out. The G35 exceeded everyone expections both in looks and power over the BMW 330i. Now the new G37 trails the BMW 335i in both looks and power. Who here can proudly say that the G37 is faster and look better than the 335i? Yea no one. If you are, then you are an infiniti fanboy.

That's why im keep my G35 coupe and will wait for G39 or G40 to come out. I see no reason for people who already own G35 to trade in for the G37 unless you are rich. But if you are really rich, why buy G37, buy the 335i.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by eminem
Ok, so you're saying the 335i and the G37 will drive differently. Well, isn't it obvious? If they were both identical in terms of handling and power, everyone would be buying the G37 since it's way cheaper than the 335i.

I guess what people here are saying is that the G37 does not give them the same advantages over the BMW 3 series coupe like the G35 did when it first came out. The G35 exceeded everyone expections both in looks and power over the BMW 330i. Now the new G37 trails the BMW 335i in both looks and power. Who here can proudly say that the G37 is faster and look better than the 335i? Yea no one. If you are, then you are an infiniti fanboy.

That's why im keep my G35 coupe and will wait for G39 or G40 to come out. I see no reason for people who already own G35 to trade in for the G37 unless you are rich. But if you are really rich, why buy G37, buy the 335i.
As for one being faster, I can't say yet because I don't have personal times, and I never go by what magazines report. I am not an Infiniti fanboy, I like a wide array of cars, but I will easily say that personally, the G37 is way better looking than the 3 series coupe. Everybody has their preference and opinions.

Last edited by InfinitiFreak; 06-25-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by eminem

Well I am glad it is clear to you, but the way this thread was going there was more focus on the numbers and the actual conversation at hand than the cars themselves. I was just pointing out, in regard to a couple peoples questions ("why buy X when you could buy Y!?") that sometimes it isn't that black and white.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G37 review in Car and Driver Aug Issue