G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

Any word on transmissions available for '07 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any word on transmissions available for '07 Coupe?

Would love to see an Audi DSG-style clutchless manual offered. Best of both worlds. No more clutchwork in traffic, no more slushbox automatic. That is what would sell me on trading in my '04.5 Coupe for the new one when it comes out (or maybe the second model year to make sure there are no serious bugs).

Is there even a rumor of Infiniti working on a clutchless manual? Perhaps for the GT-R and then offered as an accessory for the new G Coupe like BMW does for the M3 and the 330ci?

Old 01-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Haven't seen or heard anything.

If they did.. I'd have a deposit down tomorrow for a DSG.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i look for Auto w/ paddle shifting (clutchless)
and 6MT

Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK ... I got this weird e-mail from a Canadian Infiniti salesman. Let me warn you -- this guy is kinda goofy and was begging me to test drive a '06 Athens Blue G35c with 19"s, active rear steering. (I guess sales were really slow around the time of the Detroit Autoshow.)

Anyway ... apparently he's "seen" the next gen G35c. Execs told him that the drivetrain has not been confirmed yet (not surprising). One exec stated that they are not sure if they are going to continue to use the current G35c drivetrain. He goes on to *hint, hint* ... Skyline.

What I wonder is if the sales guy (not the execs) is suggesting the ATTESA system on the G35c. To me, that would be a role-reversal for Nissan. Some are guessing at the GT-R to be RWD, not AWD ... why would they put AWD into the G35c? That's going to put a lot of weight on a somewhat bloated coupe, which will affect handling and balance. Maintanence costs will increase after extended ownership. It will, on the other hand, give drivers of northern climates more confidence on the winter roads.

I'm not a big fan of AWD, even though I may benefit from it living in (southern) Canada. I plan on keeping a car 5+ years so I don't want to pay through the nose in repair costs. ATTESA is proven technology but I wouldn't want to pay for the extra bells & whistles if I didn't have to. I would rather put that money into mods.

If a clutchless manual (DSG) is offered, I would seriously look into having that than the traditional 6MT. Almost every G35c sold/leased in town is an automatic, according to this sales guy (lazy, older, affluent in my city drive Infinitis). I'm not surprised. Resale on a manual will affect me if I go with a 6MT but I'm sure I could sell it to some young guy on his way who wants to drive a luxo coupe.

Oh well ... this is all speculation. I'm still waiting for a release date so I can figure out what I'm going to do!

Last edited by jdm_inspire; 02-01-2006 at 10:52 AM.