G37 V36 Sedan 2009 + Discussion about the G37 Sedan

Where does this piece go?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35X Tech Pckg
Where does this piece go?!

I can't figure this out. It is an airbag sensor for passenger side.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:51 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
On the G35 coupe it's right next to the seatbelt retractor, not so sure about the sedan, definitely not sure about the G37 sedan.

Here's the page for it from the FSM, I'm sure once you start popping body panels off it will be easy to find.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:48 AM
G35X Tech Pckg
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the help man. I took off and replaced both doors, the seat, and the roof airbag. Did not even know there was such a sensor until now. The car had side damage which blew the roof and seat bags. Is this part something I need for sure? Will my airbag light go off once I install the new airbag control module? Or will it stay on until I replace this damn part? lol Thanks again man!

Old 01-20-2020, 11:30 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Every time you turn the ignition ON the airbag diagnostic control module does a self-check of all components. If ANYTHING is unplugged it will not pass the test and will flash the SRS light.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:30 PM
G35X Tech Pckg
Originally Posted by cleric670
Every time you turn the ignition ON the airbag diagnostic control module does a self-check of all components. If ANYTHING is unplugged it will not pass the test and will flash the SRS light.
Well.. **** then haha. And these always have to be replaced when any of the airbags go off? Sorry for all the questions.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:17 PM
Currently Busted - as usual
Looks like a potted Accelerometer.

Since the Airbag systems is effectively an Explosive that fires on a given input... definitely... you will want all of those sensors
* Electrically Connected
* Torqued into the original location, same orientation, same mounting features

A crash induces Shock and high amplitude vibration in specific orientation. That sensor system has to
* Filter out regular vibration
* Filter out regular shock
* Never false trigger
* Always trigger in the predetermined conditions

So
I cant speak directly to Automotive sensors, but... Shock can often times be damped very specifically with various materials. So.. what I am getting at... is if the sensor was originally mounted with some piece of plastic or a weird bracket - USE THE SAME - lol. Just make sure you dont "ZipTie the sensor and plug it in". That would be a pretty wicked fail.

SRS is super important.
Stuffing a vehicle is a life changing event. Having the airbags work can save you. I have only had my air bags blow once. Hit a tree on a windy road. I cant say whether or not the air bag saved my teeth or neck, but I can say for certain that when it blew.... it about took off my thumb. So... eh... I guess my only advice on crashing is...

If you are going to crash, keep your thumbs out of the way of the airbag :-)

Anyhow
If you are throwing an SRS code, it is highly improbable that the system will still fire based on the other sensors. It is qualified to run with ALL sensors, so... they all have to be connected.

I dont see why the Sensors would have to be replaced after firing. Perhaps the module needs to be reset, and of course the air bag itself has to be replaced... but I cant see why a sensor would not be able to be reused. I am not an SRS expert tho. *** Good luck!

-methods