General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Heelpppp!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Obsessive Owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heelpppp!!!

hey guys, I was just topping off the oil in my car and blowing out the air filter, and I checked all the bolts holding down the plenum to see if any were loose. One felt loose, so I tightened it a little. I heard a little cracking noise but wasnt sure what it was. I noticed later that the metal in the upper plenum had CRACKED! There is a 3 inch circular crack around that bolt. I noticed it when I turned the car on and heard/felt the vacuum.

What should I do? Should I put maybe duct tape over the crack to seal the vacuum and take it to infiniti and eat the charge of them putting on a new plenum? Or should I order a new upper plenum myself and install it?

HELP ME!! Thanks guys!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
I would tape it and head to the dealer. I woiuld see if they will cover it under the warranty. If they wont cover it, I would chage it myself.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:21 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kuneff
I would tape it and head to the dealer. I woiuld see if they will cover it under the warranty. If they wont cover it, I would chage it myself.
yea let's all chage ourselves! ............

Old 12-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Obsessive Owner
I thought of that, but I do have the MREV Plus installed, so I feel like there is no way that they would cover it under warranty. I thought of saying that it cracked on its own, but they would still say that it was due to the fact that I installed the MREV and it cracked because of that...

Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeStarrG35
I thought of that, but I do have the MREV Plus installed, so I feel like there is no way that they would cover it under warranty. I thought of saying that it cracked on its own, but they would still say that it was due to the fact that I installed the MREV and it cracked because of that...
and they would have to prove it was the mod... by law...

Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Okay.......but you cracked it, yourself. It didn't break on it's own. Don't be a liar, just buy a new upper plenum and put it on; they seem to go pretty cheap on the forum from people who have replaced theirs with an aftermarket piece.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by UnluckyCharms
Okay.......but you cracked it, yourself. It didn't break on it's own. Don't be a liar, just buy a new upper plenum and put it on; they seem to go pretty cheap on the forum from people who have replaced theirs with an aftermarket piece.
true...

Old 12-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeStarrG35
I thought of that, but I do have the MREV Plus installed...
OK, did you install the bolt spacers? They support the plenum to keep this from happening. Those bolts should ONLY be tightened with a torque wrench!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Obsessive Owner
Ya I just bought an upper plenum from a member here and am going to install it myself. I didnt have a torque wrench with me and I stupidly tried to do it anyway. I know its my fault, it was a stupid mistake. Thanks for all your input guys.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:51 PM
No worries man, everyone messes up sometimes.

Definitely a good idea to use a torque wrench on the plenum. Those bolts are way too easy to overtorque.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hate to say it, but by remembering what happened to you, i now know what NOT to do!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.