General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

2003-07 G35 Coupe--Window Motor tests

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003-07 G35 Coupe--Window Motor tests

Done my searching re: Driver's Window NG--Took out the motor and cleaned it up -- didnt look bad at all. Put everything back together and voila --no activity now at all! Doesnt go up or down, motor not running etc etc.
1)Is there a reset switch and procedure on the 03-G35 coupe? I have the TSC for the 350Z but I dont recall seeing a switch on the motor when I had it out?
2)How can I bench test the dam motor? There are about 6 wires coming into the harness - four going to the motor and 2 going to the lift cable mechansism -- which I am assuming are limit switches. I would like to put B+ and ground on the motor to verify it runs in both directions before bolting back in!

Love my car -- and it roars like a raped ape -- but this motor reliabilty bs is something that really pisses me off about Nissan.

Thanks for all replies.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are only two wires for power and ground. these wires will switch between negative and positive depending on which way the window is commanded to move.

terminals 1 and 2 - green wire and blue wire, respectively.

more than likely you will need a window motor.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Window Motor Testing!

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I now know more than I ever wanted to about dam window motors on my G35. Your response enabled me to get further into the repair. Here is what I have garnered:
-One can test the motor definitely on the bench-- but unless you take off the limit switch mechansim you will damage the plastic gears etc.
-Just pry the metal cover off (it is only hand tight) and leave everything alone re wiring etc.
-Wire up a batt charger B+ and ground to the green and blue wires as Mr. Webb mentions.
-The motor will run or not. Mine didnt run !
-Dismantle the commutator cover (the brass colored cover held on with 3 phillips heads) and lift to expose the lead screw and the commutator windings.
-CLEAN FASTIDIOUSLY and completely (Q tips and alcohol, and a toothpick between the winding slots on the rotor) using compressed air when you are through cleaning and put everything back together.
-Not a boad idea to check the resistance in the windings when you get things back together -- and there should a dead short (very little resistance) through the commutator/winding (that is power and ground).
-If that checks out leave the drive cover off again and power things up and the motor should rotate without the drive attached.
-Mine rotated fine after the cleaning and I will now bolt everything back up knowing that at least I have a good motor to start.

Many thanks to Mr. Webb and the "DIY sticky windows" -- THE definitive source document for this repair.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome man! good to see you got creative and avoided the cost of a new window motor. before you button everything down, the window motor will have to be timed. here is the procedure:

raise glass all the way up using manual - NOT auto
while holding reset switch fully lower glass - again dont use auto
release reset switch and raise glass all the way up - dont use auto.
your window is now timed. auto up and down should now be functional

Last edited by pwebb; 05-05-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Window motor fixed!!

Thanks much to pwebb---
Retimed the motor and everything is right!!
Pita was getting the regulator bolts back on
Before I reset the motor!!

Again thanks!!

Chet