General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Undercarriage Ideas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
How would covering the bottom up effect, tranny and Diff temps? The Exhaust will also be covered so it will be cooking inside there with the Tranny and Diff. Would have to be vented and some air flow or something :O

The G already achieves zero lift, so what exactly would this be for?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
How would covering the bottom up effect, tranny and Diff temps? The Exhaust will also be covered so it will be cooking inside there with the Tranny and Diff. Would have to be vented and some air flow or something :O

The G already achieves zero lift, so what exactly would this be for?
If an Enzo and even some Corvette's come completely sealed underneath I highly doubt that the diff will be an issue (especially with a properly designed system).

I plan on diverting air that comes between the chassis and the panels to specific sections, differetial, and rear brakes 2 of them. Ultimately making the air underneath the chassis not have disturbance. Along with making a rear diffuser that is not too race inspired but a very comfortable view.

Additionally, Along the way the panels will have small relief openings, to allow for any water to escape in the event of going through a deep puddle (If water can go through, air surely will).

Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Mr.202?

^ I know the Nismo Diff cover comes with Fins to help cool the diff, so just something I was thinking about with covering the bottom . I am sure if you are looking into all this stuff, everything should be good then.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
sub

Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM
^ I know the Nismo Diff cover comes with Fins to help cool the diff, so just something I was thinking about with covering the bottom . I am sure if you are looking into all this stuff, everything should be good then.
well, remember heat travels up.. obviously the diff isn't going to get any cooler as it's covered with the chassis and sealing it will definetly bring some potential issues. But, before I do anything. I spend time researching.

I'll be testing temperatures all throughout the week to see where it operates under OEM conditions.

But, yeah 6-P's (Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance)

Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Ok, so far here is some more tech data:

Steel Gauge Chart / Weight Comparisons.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ga...eet-d_915.html

So I passed by my local steel yard and checked out prices for 4x10 steel sections

ranging from 20 gauge stainless/cold rolled to 14 gauge aluminum sheets.

I must say HUGE price difference in Aluminum and Stainless (and Cold Rolled Steel).

Since, I will be going for a one off custom made carbon fiber system, I will be going with a 20 gauge cold rolled steel sheet frame. Alone it'll wobble like hell, so I would NOT recommend this for the underneath where it will be exposed to alot of wind sheer and velocity.

4x10 section of 20 gauge cold rolled steel runs around 58.00.
4x10 14 gauge stainless = 210.00 and similar with aluminum... (too expensive)

with the 20 gauge cold rolled you can very easily make bends, and molds. Once I get cracking on this (after much needed research) I will begin buying supplies and ordering carbon fiber material, etc...

Old 10-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
something like this would be perfect...

although i'd settle for something like this...

or this...

Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Mr.202?

^ I think he is talking about covering the whole bottom lol

Edit: oh and that :P

Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
I wonder how it would work with a CS rear? Would it be applicable to all rears or lowered cars seeing how the fins are exposed on the bottom? The CS sits considerably lower then stock. Not sure about the others. Like I said, I'll be in MIA later in the month. Still gotta work on my issue but eager to see where you're going with this and willing to have the G as a guinea pig if you can get under it lol.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ive been looking into this stuff for years. once i have some time ill be making the setup for another car and then maybe on to this one

Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM
^ I think he is talking about covering the whole bottom lol

Edit: oh and that :P
Yes, that will also be part of the deal.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
To add to what Tian was asking about, my concern would be the covering up the exhaust system right after the cats. On a lowered vehicle this is where it usually scrapes the most. Personally, if I had any type of cover under my Y-pipe it would be ripped off within a week.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
There was a thread about making undercar aero components started by a rep from Cianci Performance on my350z but it would seem the dude dropped the ball on it for now. If there is enough interest maybe it will happen. I sent him an email but didn't get much back, maybe some of you will have a lil more luck. Give the guy either a call or email, just google Cianci Performance, they make a lot of aero parts for the 3000gt crowd.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Resurection Did anything come of this? I have been looking into this for months and would like to pick up where everyone else has left off.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
This, like majority of idea threads, was nothing but pipe dream that went no where.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Undercarriage Ideas