General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Help check engine light on P1706 PNP switch-no signal change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Help check engine light on P1706 PNP switch-no signal change

My cel light came on this morning and I brought it to autozone and it pulled up

Trouble shooting p1706
OEM brand:Infiniti

Definition
PNP switch-no signal change
Probable cause
Open or short circuit condition
Poor electrical connection
Faulty PNP switch

Anyone know what this means?
My car runs and drives good and the only noticeable problems I have are the map lights don't work(maybe blown fuse or blown lights)driver side reverse light blown and front driver turn signal bulb blown.
It's a 04 6speed

Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
6 speed doesn't have a PNP switch. I'll check ASIST and see what it is for a 6 speed

Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Yea I googled PNP switch and it dose seem like its just for automatics that's been confuseing me so I brought it to 3other autozones and it keeps giving me the sane codes

Last edited by westbank23; 02-26-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:32 AM
What do you mean by ASIST?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my check engine light came on today after i cleaned my fuel sending units. How do you re-set it ?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
This code is an indication that the neutral position switch is not sending a signal to the ECM. It is a very simple circuit and should be easily diagnosed. Has the transmission been out recently? Perhaps it was left unplugged.

Since there is no control unit for 6 speeds this is the code that the ECM sets.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks nj666
I don't know if the transmission been replaced or pulled out because I just brought the car with 72xxx miles on it.would I be able to find the switch if I get under the car and look around the tranny area?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:54 AM
The Neutral position switch is located on the right(passenger) side of the transmission. It is above and just forward of the transmission mount. There is also a switch on the left side that is for the reverse lamps. Make sure they are both plugged in.

ASIST is the information source/data base that we use at Infiniti/Nissan.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Ok thanks I'll check it out later.well it be easier to locate the switch if I crawl under the car or will I be able to see it under the hood?
Also if you don't mine can you take a look at my other thread concerning what the Infiniti dealership told me about M/T fluid
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...-gear-oil.html

Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Have to get to it from under the car. Best on a lift. I think there is a sticky on here for the service manual, it should show the location.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Ok I'll check it out in a few days when I get off work

Old 11-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you ever figure it out?

Hey I have the same issue did yo ever end up figuring it out? I recently put a new transmission in and I have had the engine light since and I just unplugged and re plugged in that sensor and I still have a engine light. Do I have to do a battery reset or something?

Old 07-19-2021, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 rev up coupeeeee 2005
Originally Posted by NJ 666
6 speed doesn't have a PNP switch. I'll check ASIST and see what it is for a 6 speed

This is a super old thread but wondering if anyone ever figured out the issue I have a 05 rev up manual coupe - same code P1706 …
my car is tuned and I use the coast/set and cancel button to change between maps when it’s set the set light on the dash flashes the number of times per map example if I want map 3 I hold down coast/set while pushing cancel 3 times and when let go the set light on the dash flashes 3 times - sometimes the set light flashes - sometimes it doesn’t. Not sure what could be causing that issue, but mostly confused about the P1706 code.

thankssss

Old 07-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Aggyvq
This is a super old thread but wondering if anyone ever figured out the issue I have a 05 rev up manual coupe - same code P1706 …
my car is tuned and I use the coast/set and cancel button to change between maps when it’s set the set light on the dash flashes the number of times per map example if I want map 3 I hold down coast/set while pushing cancel 3 times and when let go the set light on the dash flashes 3 times - sometimes the set light flashes - sometimes it doesn’t. Not sure what could be causing that issue, but mostly confused about the P1706 code.

thankssss
Have you consulted the FSM?

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F2005%2Fec.pdf

See page EC-582

DTC P1706 PNP SWITCH
Edition: 2004 September 2005 G35 Coupe
DTC P1706 PNP SWITCH PFP:32006
Component Description ABS00E1S
When the shift lever position is P or N (A/T), Neutral (M/T), park/neutral position (PNP) switch is ON.
ECM detects the position because the continuity of the line (the ON signal) exists.
Then the TCM sends the PNP switch signal to the ECM via combination meter. (A/T models)
CONSULT-II Reference Value in Data Monitor Mode

DTC No. Trouble diagnosis name DTC detecting condition Possible cause
P1706
Park/neutral position
switch
The signal of the park/neutral position (PNP)
switch is not changed in the process of engine
starting and driving.
 Harness or connectors
[The park/neutral position (PNP) switch
circuit is open or shorted.]
 Park/neutral position (PNP) switch
 TCM (A/T models)
 Combination meter (A/T models)

Use your multimeter and let us know how you make out

Good luck

Old 07-19-2021, 04:00 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Aggyvq

thankssss
#1 - changing maps has nothing to do with check engine light codes
#2 - Code is pretty simple: the car isn't detecting a change in the neutral position switch even though the car is being driven. It's a simple circuit, starting with a switch on the side of the trans: make sure it's still plugged in and not damaged. Basically if the ECU thinks the car is in neutral, it won't activate the CAM phasers (int & exh) and the car will generally feel kinda slow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help check engine light on P1706 PNP switch-no signal change