General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Where is "Bank 2" on 2004 Infiniti G35x

Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Where is "Bank 2" on 2004 Infiniti G35x

Hi. 2004 Infiniti G35x AWD... Shows SES Code: P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2)... I am told that I might want to consider replacing the oxygen sensor (downstream) from catalytic converter. Is Bank 2 driver's side or passenger side? Any one know for certain which side is Bank 2. -- Thanks.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
Bank 2 is Passenger Side Bank 1 is Driver Side

Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I just got my 2004 and that code came on tonight, a week after I got it. What is usually the problem? It runs beautifully and just passed inspection.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Code P0430 could mean a slew of different things. Please check out: http://engine-codes.com/p0430_infiniti.html -- Unfortunately, one of the culprits, and perhaps, the most likely cause is a defective, damaged or bad catalytic converter. It is no longer functioning properly. I took my 2004 for two separate diagnostics tests and twice it showed the catalytic converter was bad, meaning, what's coming out of the converter is pollution, not "clean air." Like you, just days after I purchased my car and passed emissions, the SES light came on. The dealer wanted anywhere from $2300 to change both converters and all four 02 sensors -- on up to $6800 to change the entire exhaust system and converter system. I politely declined. I ended up buying two converters online here and now I'm waiting to install them on my car. I'm still debating whether or not to buy and install four new O2 sensors. You may want to reset the SES light and see if it comes on again. Mine did. It also went off by itself. But came back on indicating that it's probably not a false reading. Something was amiss. Also like you, my car runs flawlessly. The gas mileage is what it's supposed to be for a gas hog like my G35x. My understanding is, you can run the car without replacing the converters as long as you don't experience any performance problems. If your converter(s) are plugged you are likely to experience sluggish engine behavior, poor mileage and idling problems. I have 148k miles on my car. Not sure what the warranty is for Infiniti regarding catalytic converters... I have heard something like 80,000 miles or X number of years, but you may want to check into that as well. Good luck with your car, and if I can, I'll post the results of what happened to my car after I installed the cats, I'm anxious to see if the SES light goes out permanently.

The following 2 users liked this post by adwizard:
Atharyn (06-04-2017), MainStreet (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks, and good luck! My husband also replaced the air filter he tells me. PLUS, after we got the P0300 code cleared (presumed it was spark plugs and such that he fixed), the second code was from the Autozone guy who said in passing it was a "Q" Infinity. I was busy talking to my friend, and didn't think much of it till now. Did your catalytic converter smell of rotten eggs, as did Aztec's? I just don't want to ruin more (if it's only the oxygen sensor on passenger side, for example), by running it if the fuel mixture is still rich or something.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Could P0430 code be due to a loose wiring harness - somewhere?

Okay, this is starting to get old. I just bought my (seemingly perfect) '04 G35 Sedan last month (declined a warranty). As SOON as I paid for it, the airbag light came on. The mechanic at the used car place fixed it (presumably.) Then my husband reversed coils when changing the plugs. Took it around the block (mini-misfired once). Back to our garage. Realized his error next day and fixed it. Code for that came on, had it cleared three times, never came on again (as I recall). Hubster replaced engine air filter (oiled it, like he always has done with no problems on his Nissan Sentra). Then code 0430 came on. Same mechanic kindly took a look at and said he'd order an O2 sensor. Would be about 4 days. I called after 7, and they said "we'll CALL you when it gets here!" Has now been 2 weeks. Meanwhile, praying it wouldn't cause damage, have driven it close to 600 more miles. Gulp. At least it runs perfectly smoothly. I just don't want to wreck my catalytic or any (more?) sensors, if indeed one is truly wrecked already. Called local Infiniti dealership for Oxygen sensor estimate w/ and w/o labor. Three days later - haven't heard back. Oh, also the tire air pressure light came on again yesterday - hopefully unrelated. Haven't checked tires yet. Does anyone think a loose wiring harness SOMEwhere might be the cause of (at least this latest) code? Don't know how any of these recent fixes might have loosened one, cuz am totally ignorant, but did read about loose wiring harness and another sensor on these forums. Thanks for any more help I can get!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MainStreet
Okay, this is starting to get old. I just bought my (seemingly perfect) '04 G35 Sedan last month (declined a warranty). As SOON as I paid for it, the airbag light came on. The mechanic at the used car place fixed it (presumably.) Then my husband reversed coils when changing the plugs. Took it around the block (mini-misfired once). Back to our garage. Realized his error next day and fixed it. Code for that came on, had it cleared three times, never came on again (as I recall). Hubster replaced engine air filter (oiled it, like he always has done with no problems on his Nissan Sentra). Then code 0430 came on. Same mechanic kindly took a look at and said he'd order an O2 sensor. Would be about 4 days. I called after 7, and they said "we'll CALL you when it gets here!" Has now been 2 weeks. Meanwhile, praying it wouldn't cause damage, have driven it close to 600 more miles. Gulp. At least it runs perfectly smoothly. I just don't want to wreck my catalytic or any (more?) sensors, if indeed one is truly wrecked already. Called local Infiniti dealership for Oxygen sensor estimate w/ and w/o labor. Three days later - haven't heard back. Oh, also the tire air pressure light came on again yesterday - hopefully unrelated. Haven't checked tires yet. Does anyone think a loose wiring harness SOMEwhere might be the cause of (at least this latest) code? Don't know how any of these recent fixes might have loosened one, cuz am totally ignorant, but did read about loose wiring harness and another sensor on these forums. Thanks for any more help I can get!
Bank 2 is the even bank: cylinders #s 2,4,6 are in bank 2. For the G35, this is the driver's side of the motor.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the same code (P0430) and the voltage readings on the O2 sensors are fine, which suggest my CAT might be gone.

So my questions are:
430 is for Bank 2 which is driver's side correct?
How much labor would it cost to get this fixed? Should I buy used or new CAT and how much should they cost?

I have an 04 g35x with 135k miles on it

Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Problem resolved - for free!

After all my research, my gas tank was down to almost empty and the code disappeared. I remembered my son telling me the light had come on as soon as Dad put gas in the car. I noticed how hard it was to put the gas cap back on when I filled 'er up, and asked Dad if perhaps he did not turn the cap all the way till it clicked. He said he might not have. The light never came on, meaning the fuel mixture was affected AT THE GAS PUMP by simply not locking the gas cap on tight enough! Next time I filled up I noticed there is even a warning right on the gas cap that the SES light might come on if you don't tighten the cap enough. Wow. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE!!!! Thanks, all.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil@GRUBBS
WRONG

B1 - Right side (Passenger side)
B2- Left side (Driver side)

For the Nissan/Infiniti V8 Engines, it would be as you have stated.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know what the voltage should read for the sensors? My girlfriend has a 2004 g35 and codes p0430 and p0455. I drive a lexus gs430 and I had a code p0420 before, but all i did was just the rear sensors and fixed an exhaust leak and the code never came back. Im trying to figure out if I should go after the sensors or do the cats right away.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil@GRUBBS
Phil is correct....^....why are you giving the wrong information? I replaced a Bank 2 sensor after I installed my first set of HFCs...passenger/right side. Don't be confused, passenger side never changes!
Gary

Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Bank 2 is drivers side per the FSM

The following 2 users liked this post by TomPeters:
alliew2010 (11-20-2014), DeafBringer (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TomPeters
Bank 2 is drivers side per the FSM
Sorry for bumping an old thread. But I had a P0430 thrown this morning after my P0300 woes. Had to do some digging and wanted to say that the above quote is correct per the FSM, pg EC-18.

The following users liked this post:
Atharyn (06-04-2017)