General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

VCD and SLIP Lights come on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
VCD and SLIP Lights come on

Anyone know what can be the issue???
Okay so at first I had this issue, if I was accelerating from 0 and turning right, my VCD and Slip come on and stay on for the rest of the drive until the car is shut off and restarted.

Now that rain is here in the NW those lights come no matter how light I accelerate. ABS module malfunction? Anyone else had this issue or know of someone with the same issue?

Also when I took it out to the track and turn the VCD off.. after 1st gear these lights come on as well and just stay on. its annoying and I want to see if anyone else delt with simillar issue and what they did to take car of it.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Check the brake fluid level and make sure it's topped off. That was my problem.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 PM
same issue with the lights coming on and staying on??

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I have some help. I was replacing my lca bushings and was going to do the ball joints as well so I took the wheel speed sensor off the back of the hub so the line wouldn't be damaged. After I got it all back together I when for a test drive and my front left kind of locked up and then my vdc and slip lights came on.

So I put it back in the air and removed the wheel speed sensors, sprayed brake cleaner in the area where they sit and took a rag and wiped it off. Reinstalled the sensor and test drove and I haven't had the lights come back on.

If there is any debris or build up on the sensor them it will throw the lights on bc it isn't being allowed to do its job.

Hope this helps. All you need is a 10mm deep socket and a 1/4 in dr ratchet to get the sensor out.

The following users liked this post:
VT's G35S Sedan (10-29-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
+1, at least check the wheel sensors and clean them. Mined ended up being a bad yaw sensor! Those things are quite pricey to have replaced, but worth every penny. With the season changing you want the system working. The tires will have even less adhesion in the rain especially with the lower temps and you might be caught by surprise when you least expect it. Trust me, I know lol.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 PM
{\-_-/} I'm on board with vqdriver. We don't have the most sophisticated systems in the car world but what we do have is a great tool for iffy weather and if the system is broke it could mean bad times when you least suspect it.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VQdriver
+1, at least check the wheel sensors and clean them. Mined ended up being a bad yaw sensor! Those things are quite pricey to have replaced, but worth every penny. With the season changing you want the system working. The tires will have even less adhesion in the rain especially with the lower temps and you might be caught by surprise when you least expect it. Trust me, I know lol.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how did you find out it was the yaw sensor? I have the same issue and took it to a pretty well respected Infiniti shop (guy who owns the place was the head technician at an Infinit dealer) and they pulled the code as a yaw rate sensor. They quoted me $1000 to fix it ($790 being the sensor itself) I'm considering finding a used one and doing the work myself, just want to be sure replacing the yaw sensor will fix it.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:46 PM
well my right front axle was replaced, so the sensor would make sense.. Thanks guys i will check the sensors. I hope its not the yaw sensor.. I don want to spend the money on it. I am selling my G and possibly trading it for 2007 550i M-package.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Phecke
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how did you find out it was the yaw sensor? I have the same issue and took it to a pretty well respected Infiniti shop (guy who owns the place was the head technician at an Infinit dealer) and they pulled the code as a yaw rate sensor. They quoted me $1000 to fix it ($790 being the sensor itself) I'm considering finding a used one and doing the work myself, just want to be sure replacing the yaw sensor will fix it.
You would need a Nissan specific code reader. I believe it's called CONSULT. But i'm not even sure it's related to that particular system. I do remember my obd2 scanner would not work as far as getting a diagnostic code.

The only reason I found out it was a yaw sensor was because the bodyshop repairing my car could not reset the light. They had to bring the car to an Infiniti dealer to have them diagnose and repair it. The estimate was very similar to yours. You maybe able to DIY it for far less money. I think I saw a thread about that on this or my350z forum. The sensor is near the transmission location near the armrest.

Good luck and don't let this repair wait too long. If you ask me and it's your daily driver I would not hesitate to have a shop repair it asap. This is my hindsight. I was trying to wait out 6 weeks before getting custom exhaust work and an Osiris tune to have them diagnose/repair since they'd be able to with their equipment. Big mistake. I had my accident and the cost was far greater than any estimate. I'm just lucky that it wasn't worse and I was thankful I was unharmed during the crash. I never followed through with the mods or the dyno tune. It's still nearly stock today and all I do now is detail and maintain the car.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had those lights come on when my brake fluid got low.
Check your brake fluid, and if its low top it off. Also, have your brake system checked. There are 2 reasons why your brake fluid is low, your break pads are worn, or you have a leak in your lines.

But topping it off will take off those lights. (Granted low brake fluid is the problem)

VT's G35S Sedan (11-01-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by VT's G35S Sedan
well my right front axle was replaced, so the sensor would make sense.. Thanks guys i will check the sensors. I hope its not the yaw sensor.. I don want to spend the money on it. I am selling my G and possibly trading it for 2007 550i M-package.
Yeah if your axle was replaced then whoever did the work might now have gotten the sensor back in it original spot or it has some build up on the end of the sensor. When I rechecked mine the bolt wasn't all the way tight. Took the sensor back out, cleaned the end of it, sprayed some brake cleaner when it is and then reinstalled and tightened it down.

My lights do not come on anymore.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by VT's G35S Sedan
My parents have that year 550i. GREAT car to drive!! Not a single bolt on my car equals one on that car. That being said, that car has been back to the shop for whatever random ish that goes wrong lol. Good luck trying to wrench on that car. Nothing is clearly labeled and if it was it's in German! They clearly make those cars differently so trying to figure the anatomy of the car takes twice as long as any random Japanese or American car. Oh, and a regular OBD2 code scanner won't work to clear anything. Gotta get one compatible with Mini Cooper or BMW. Once it's out of service warranty you're definitely on your own because parts are way more expensive and they gouge labor to pay for their overhead. The problems G35s have are nothing like the problems you may see on a BMW. I LOVE my G35C! Yaw sensor, wheel speed sensor? Not a problem. I just like driving the BMW once in a LONG while. Haha

Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ VQDrivier thanks for all the help, I too just took my car into the dealer to have them check why my lights were coming on, but My ABS light also stays on... Sucks that I just sold my M3 that had 200k for this car which only has 85k and now I might be forking out a grand to fix it... I'll need to check the fluid levels b4 I take it to get fixed.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:15 AM
This is soemthing I am planning to take car of this week, so I will Update you guys on what helped and what I will have to do to fix it.

I took a quick glance at my brake fluid and its above the min line. should i just top it all off?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Okay Guys so Here is an UPDATE. I had the time and took off my sensors and found my issue right off the bet. The sensor itself was a bit dirty but nothing bad, The actual issue was the attaching screw itself wasnt making a good grounding connection due to Oxidation.

I Used some WD-40 and a metal scrub brush to get the build up off. IMO, this build up is caused due to the Knucle of the axle being made of Aluminum and the ABS sensor grounding plate is out of metal. Either way after I cleaned it up and re-installed everything back into its place.Then I fired it up and my lights were all still there, for a moment I was disapointed and thought I waisted my time. But then I reset the ECU by unplugging the neggative cable from the battery for 15 mins. Went to start it up and took it for a spin and the issue is GONE. Been a week now and Now more lights and my VCD is working just fine. Glad I asked and didnt take in for a diognostics, what a waist of money that would be.

Thank you guys! Hope this helps to anyone out there with simillar VCD issues.

Picture one is of the sensor as I found it with white build up and rust>>>>>>>>>>

Picture # 2 and #3 are of the sensor and screw after I cleaned and scrubed it with a metal brush

Cheers!

here is a pic of my ride in its current set up

totopo (11-08-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VCD and SLIP Lights come on