General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Interior rattle - passenger side

Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Interior rattle - passenger side

Have started to get an intermittent rattle over uneven pavement and slight bumps coming from the passenger side interior. Sounds like it's coming from either the window itself, from the door panel, or from somewhere around the passenger sun visor area. The window seems tight and the noise is there regardless of whether the window is up or down, and moving the sun visor around seems to have no effect either. I've taken everything out of the glove box to test out whether that was the problem, and it's still there.

anyone had anything like this and figured out what it was?

Old 11-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the piece behind the door handle. Make sure your chrome trim is not loose. Seatbelt?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks. Seatbelt is not the cause - I have tried that one.

Someone else suggested the screw behind the door handle as well, but the aluminum trim piece is definitely not loose. I'll check that out. I can't imagine it's something inside the door panel as the window seems solid and there's not much other hardware to float around in there, I believe. Sometimes it sounds like it's from somewhere near the headliner/roof...driving me crazy!!!

Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
It may be coming from the base of the windshield on passenger side. On 03-06 sedans there is a common rattle noise at windshield area. Remove passenger defrost vent and there is a single 10mm bolt that holds dash to firewall. Remove this bolt and you will notice that it has a crazy shoulder on it. Throw the bolt away and install a regular bolt(one from your lower engine cover will work) in its place and tighten securely. This may take care of the annoying rattle that you are experiencing. Hope this helps

The following users liked this post:
TheIronYuppy (12-20-2014)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by infinitidude
It may be coming from the base of the windshield on passenger side. On 03-06 sedans there is a common rattle noise at windshield area. Remove passenger defrost vent and there is a single 10mm bolt that holds dash to firewall. Remove this bolt and you will notice that it has a crazy shoulder on it. Throw the bolt away and install a regular bolt(one from your lower engine cover will work) in its place and tighten securely. This may take care of the annoying rattle that you are experiencing. Hope this helps
Hmmm, great suggestion. Will have a look. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right side rattle

My '04 coupe had more of a squeek from the area behind the glove box. Turns out the previous owner changed the battery and the new one was smaller and moving around causing the squeek. There is an opening to the dash that you can see from the battery compartment.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 AM
I have a Nissan battery so I doubt that's the issue, but I'll check it out. Thx

Old 12-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
I have a Nissan battery so I doubt that's the issue, but I'll check it out. Thx
do you have the hold down installed?

Old 12-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Take the door panel off and have someone drive your car while you listen.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
do you have the hold down installed?
Yup.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Lol passager side seatbelt that bitch will drive you crazy

Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Guys, thanks for the suggestions, but this thread is a year old, and I've played with the the passenger side seat belt many times (though that does annoy the crap out of me). It's a different noise from the seatbelt noise. I've looked at all the other obvious sources and can't seem to track it down. As I've mentioned above, it sometimes sounds like it's actually coming from the sunroof or headliner area, but since it's only occasional and very slight, I've not been able to pin it down. It can go away for weeks/months and then come back for a few days. I probably do need to remove the door panel but I'm too lazy :-)

Last edited by G35fromPA; 12-06-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM
I have had the 3 screws that hold the sunroof motor in place fall out and into the center light dome. I had all noticed a noise form up there but I just crack the tunes louder, then one the sunroof had stuck open. In trying to fix that is when I found all three screws in the light dome.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Hogbone
I have had the 3 screws that hold the sunroof motor in place fall out and into the center light dome. I had all noticed a noise form up there but I just crack the tunes louder, then one the sunroof had stuck open. In trying to fix that is when I found all three screws in the light dome.
Hmm...how do you access that?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Hmm...how do you access that?
Now that you ask I can seem to remember the steps to save my life. I know you don't have to remove the headliner. You'll have full access to the sunroof motor, you should only have to remove the light cover and loose a screw or two, then unclip the plastic pieces but be careful of the plastic tabs. Just study the task at hand and take your time doing it. I done it that way or try find a thread that covers a DIY for sunroof

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior rattle - passenger side