General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Slow 0-60

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow 0-60

Ok.. I started a new threat for this question though I feel like they all sort of happened close to each other.

I have been reading on the 0-60 for this car and the FASTEST stock I have seen was 5.4s. I see a lot of averages hit closer to 6.

I am pretty sure I can't get this under 6.5. I hear tons of people talk about flying back into their seats its so fast! Not sure what car they are driving, but it's not the g35. At least not mine. My car accelerates from 650 RPM to around 5000 RPM slower than it does from 5000 to 7000 RPM.

From 1st to 3rd I can get to 60 in close to 6.5 seconds. I don't feel a big BOOM from the get go that pulls me back. I try these attempts with the traction control off. First gear is hard to start because you literally have to time it flawlessly or else you spend too much time revving the engine and not moving OR you kill it. I have driven stick all my life, so I am not used to cars being so tight on their clutch.

ONE THING HAPPENED that I didn't expect. When I first bought the car, I LOVED how fast it went. I noticed that the faster I went, the better it felt on the car (like it was meant to drive fast). NOW.. it seems like a hassle for the car.

I tried beating a stupid truck off the line at a light so I can get in front of him, and I can tell he wanted to not let me in. When the light turned red, I missed the clutch and killed the car. I restart engine immediately because I have cars behind me, and then floor it. It gets to 2500 RPM and then falls back to 2000RPM and the car shakes. It did this no matter what gear and didn't seem to want to move past 2500 RPM. After that, I let the car sit in a parking lot for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what happened. It is fine now, but 0-60 is slow and top speed is slow.

Any ideas?

I put a new popcharger in and cleaned the MAF and reset the ECU. Still lack of power.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Its broken.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Haha jk

Do the rpms seem to go up faster than the speed? Could be a clutch prob, Bob.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 AM
mmm. yes.. it will be at 5k RPM in 2nd gear and only 40MPH... which seems... slow.. car is going vroom vroom super load but the mini van in front of me is going faster.. and its like... why am i only at 40?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by joejoejoe3
mmm. yes.. it will be at 5k RPM in 2nd gear and only 40MPH... which seems... slow.. car is going vroom vroom super load but the mini van in front of me is going faster.. and its like... why am i only at 40?
Think its time for a new clutch, my friend.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:46 PM
So prices for new clutch vary from 250-1k depending on how intense you want to get. Then there is service fees. Before I go spending money like that, I want to ask about the clutch.

When I say the speed goes slower than the RPMS, it is not a HUGE variance. I did some testing today.

I had a nissan that had a failed clutch and it litterally did not accelerate. You had to go sooooo slow to get the clutch to catch that it probably did zero to 60 in about 20 seconds.

My car is hitting zero to 60 in about 7.

I think this is a little slow for the g35. I have no extra weight in my car.

6MT
2005 coupe
80k miles

I just changed the oil, filters, etc... at jiffy lube.

It went so damn fast when i took the traction control off that I actually lost control of the car when I first purchased this thing two months ago. Now, I don't have that issues. It just doesn't seem to do well from zero to 60. Once beyond 60, I can get to 100 fast and then it doesnt seem to want to speed up past 100 without A: shaking and B: taking a looong time. (too long that I don't wanna try and get a ticket).

Can the clutch prevent acceleration thruought the driving or is it just used for shifting gears? I don't know a whole lot about that, so I wanted to be clear with what is happenning.

At 1st gear, 5k RPM gets me to 15 MPH.
2nd gear 5k RPM gets me close to 40 MPHS
3rd gear 5k RPM tops 70 MPH
4th gear 5k RPM and I am at 80-85
5th gear 5k RPM puts me to about 100 mph
and 6th gear 5k RPM puts me to about 115 MPH with a sloooooww increase

Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 PM
I am also trying to keep my posts to a minimum, so I am going to ask this question here because it relates.

From a complete stop, I always seems to be VERY close to killing the vehicle. I have to have my foot almost completely off the clutch to get the car to move. Unfortunately, it is on the line of killing the engine if I don't rev high enough (causing burnout when i do go forward). I usually have to slowly get into 1st before I can really floor it so I dont kill the car. Never had this issue with previous sticks AAAAND didn't seem to have the issue when I bought the car.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
So prices for new clutch vary from 250-1k depending on how intense you want to get. Then there is service fees. Before I go spending money like that, I want to ask about the clutch.

When I say the speed goes slower than the RPMS, it is not a HUGE variance. I did some testing today.

I had a nissan that had a failed clutch and it litterally did not accelerate. You had to go sooooo slow to get the clutch to catch that it probably did zero to 60 in about 20 seconds.

My car is hitting zero to 60 in about 7.

I think this is a little slow for the g35. I have no extra weight in my car.

6MT
2005 coupe
80k miles

I just changed the oil, filters, etc... at jiffy lube.

It went so damn fast when i took the traction control off that I actually lost control of the car when I first purchased this thing two months ago. Now, I don't have that issues. It just doesn't seem to do well from zero to 60. Once beyond 60, I can get to 100 fast and then it doesnt seem to want to speed up past 100 without A: shaking and B: taking a looong time. (too long that I don't wanna try and get a ticket).

Can the clutch prevent acceleration thruought the driving or is it just used for shifting gears? I don't know a whole lot about that, so I wanted to be clear with what is happenning.

At 1st gear, 5k RPM gets me to 15 MPH.
2nd gear 5k RPM gets me close to 40 MPHS
3rd gear 5k RPM tops 70 MPH
4th gear 5k RPM and I am at 80-85
5th gear 5k RPM puts me to about 100 mph
and 6th gear 5k RPM puts me to about 115 MPH with a sloooooww increase
To tell if it's really slipping, put in 4th at about 3k and mash it. Does it rev like ur burning out in place? If so it's clutch time.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by JKL1031
To tell if it's really slipping, put in 4th at about 3k and mash it. Does it rev like ur burning out in place? If so it's clutch time.
^ good test

Plus, I'm fairly certain it is indeed clutch time.

And (regarding your other post) switch those flipping tires with the spare like I told you!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:44 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
May want to avoid Jiffy Lube. Not saying they caused your problem tho.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 194 Likes on 172 Posts
It sounds like your clutch is slipping. This occurs when the clutch is old and is wearing out or you've been beating the crap out of it too many times. As clutch temperatures increase, it becomes very hot making it difficult for the clutch to engage. At this point there is little material left on the clutch disc and it's time to baby the car so you can get where you need to go without raising the clutch temperatures too high. The good thing is you can now order a stage 2 clutch and light weight flywheel to bring your car back to being like new (or better). At this time I would also replace the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder for more beefier components. I would also upgrade the clutch line to a steel braided line and maybe change the clutch fluid to something with a higher boiling point. All of these changes will put a smile on your face a trucks will be a lot easier to pass at the light.

Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 06-22-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 194 Likes on 172 Posts
One more thing. 6th gear is more of a cruising gear it is not for speed. It's merely for highway cruising to help increase gas mileage. If you try to race someone in 6th gear you'll lose.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Ok.. I started a new threat for this question though I feel like they all sort of happened close to each other.

I have been reading on the 0-60 for this car and the FASTEST stock I have seen was 5.4s. I see a lot of averages hit closer to 6.

I am pretty sure I can't get this under 6.5. I hear tons of people talk about flying back into their seats its so fast! Not sure what car they are driving, but it's not the g35. At least not mine. My car accelerates from 650 RPM to around 5000 RPM slower than it does from 5000 to 7000 RPM.

From 1st to 3rd I can get to 60 in close to 6.5 seconds. I don't feel a big BOOM from the get go that pulls me back. I try these attempts with the traction control off. First gear is hard to start because you literally have to time it flawlessly or else you spend too much time revving the engine and not moving OR you kill it. I have driven stick all my life, so I am not used to cars being so tight on their clutch.

ONE THING HAPPENED that I didn't expect. When I first bought the car, I LOVED how fast it went. I noticed that the faster I went, the better it felt on the car (like it was meant to drive fast). NOW.. it seems like a hassle for the car.

I tried beating a stupid truck off the line at a light so I can get in front of him, and I can tell he wanted to not let me in. When the light turned red, I missed the clutch and killed the car. I restart engine immediately because I have cars behind me, and then floor it. It gets to 2500 RPM and then falls back to 2000RPM and the car shakes. It did this no matter what gear and didn't seem to want to move past 2500 RPM. After that, I let the car sit in a parking lot for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what happened. It is fine now, but 0-60 is slow and top speed is slow.

Any ideas?

I put a new popcharger in and cleaned the MAF and reset the ECU. Still lack of power.
I see no one addressed this. You got into "Limp home mode" somehow. That is designed to allow you to drive the car without tearing up something that the ECU can't control. I don't know how you got there, but you did.

Second, yes, you need a new clutch.

I had the same problems, I went with the Jim Wolf Technology Clutch pack. You just can't go wrong with them. It will most likely (for me, at least) will be the last clutch I will buy for this car.

Go here, Kyle has one of the best deals out there:

https://g35driver.com/forums/4024798-post1.html

JWT Light weight flywheel
JWT pressure plate
JWT Friction clutch plate
new pilot bearing
new SST clutch hose
clutch pilot tool
and more

His ad still says $775.00 and it's worth every penny. This clutch will handle almost 500 hp and it has very good engagement.

I bought the kit and has a mechanic install it for me for $400.00

Don't skimp on this, you will just be doing it again in a year or year and a half.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I see no one addressed this. You got into "Limp home mode" somehow. That is designed to allow you to drive the car without tearing up something that the ECU can't control. I don't know how you got there, but you did.

Second, yes, you need a new clutch.

I had the same problems, I went with the Jim Wolf Technology Clutch pack. You just can't go wrong with them. It will most likely (for me, at least) will be the last clutch I will buy for this car.

Go here, Kyle has one of the best deals out there:

https://g35driver.com/forums/4024798-post1.html

JWT Light weight flywheel
JWT pressure plate
JWT Friction clutch plate
new pilot bearing
new SST clutch hose
clutch pilot tool
and more

His ad still says $775.00 and it's worth every penny. This clutch will handle almost 500 hp and it has very good engagement.

I bought the kit and has a mechanic install it for me for $400.00

Don't skimp on this, you will just be doing it again in a year or year and a half.
Yeah so i did some more driving around. After finding a good spot to do some test runs i got 6.5 on my zero to 60 as my best and i dont think its going to go faster. With vdc off i just let the engine get to 6k rpm to check speeds and 1st hits 30 well before 6k 2nd hits 45 almost 50 by 6k and 3rd hits 80 by 6k. I think my issue lies in second gear which happened when my old cars clutch went out. I definitely think 2nd is slipping. 1st slips a little but not too much and everything else seems solid. When i try to 0-60 1 and 2 seem to slip (as in the rev bar doesnt match speed but shoots up there to 6k) it doesnt do it more than maybe 15% of the time but it does it. I am gonna save for that clutch because i think it will make a huge difference

Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
cant chirp the tire into second?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Slow 0-60