General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Oil light came on/ with check engine light :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil light came on/ with check engine light :(

2003 G35 COUPE 6MT

I was on the highway going to work after 5 mins doing about 70 mph and engine light came on. I smell oil burning or so I think. Immediately I took the next exit, drove to walmart which is right off the ramp. As i turn into Walmart my oil light flash on. I shut her off once parked, went into Walmart and bought 2 quarts of mobil 1 5w30 synthetic and put one quart in.

She still drives fine and everything. Still have the power but the check engine is not going off. I went to a nearby o realli and had them read the codes.

Those codes were:

P0011
P0327

One was for cam sensor and the other one was for knock sensor. Does these code correlate to the car running low on oil? Please help, am I over reacting or will it be okay? The car runs normal, there is no knocking of any sort. She still pulls strong. It's just that the cel wont go away. Do I have to drive it until the light just go off after a few drive cycle?

I'm away for college so this really sucks and its my fault for no checking the oil dipstick

Last edited by flytim3; 09-01-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Okay so. Be prepared to buy a new engine soon.

These have oil consumption issues, assuming you have a DE or rev-up.

With my last motor, it wasn't too long before I noticed power loss after seeing my oil light flash just once. Funny, it was at wal-mart too. The fact that your oil light came on means your engine saw a drop in oil pressure (very low, the switch actuates at 10 psi tops is what my buddy said when I had him test mine) Oil pressure drops momentarily from your pickup tube not being submerged, aka you burn oil in between oil changes and going around the corner in the lot caused what was left for oil to move away from the pick up tube. Check the valve cover gaskets if you smell burning oil, and look for drips where you park.

Start with resetting the ECU, look up the various ways to do so. After you check for oil leaks go ahead and drive it, make sure you have the right amount of oil in it.

If the CEL comes back, time to look into those codes. If not, you're fine for now. But you'll need to be religious about checking your oil level from now on.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the fast reply. All i did for now was add in correct amount of oil back in. I left the battery unhook and going to leave it like that for the day and hopefully the car resets. There are no signs of oil dripping anywhere.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:23 PM
You can press the brake pedal a few times, it discharges the caps instantly instead of waiting for them to drain. No signs of oil, hmm, where did the smell come from then?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure but while I was driving on the highway, as soon as the cel came on that when i smell a hint of it. It's not coolant for sure and i had my sure of that with my subaru. But any I checked it last night and today there are no signs of oil leaking at all. Gosh I just hope it's not the motor going like you stated above. Sensors fine, but motor I don't have $ for that. haha

Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 PM
It's not the sensor lol. You were just low on oil. How many miles ago and what oil did you change it with last? I stopped running M1, it sucks. I ran penzoil platinum and loved it with the last motor when I got tired of paying for AMS.

Edit: a compression test wouldn't hurt

Old 09-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Last oil change was right about 4200 miles ago. I use mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic. I wasn't really sure what to use on it since i'm new to infiniti. I should try penzoil platinum out too. I know it's least likely to be the sensor lol it just sounds better than replacing a motor. haha

Old 09-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car started to ping and I thought It was the one tank of 87 octane I used. Got the full tank of 93 in there now and still pinged so I took it to a shop and glad I did. I looked at the oil a few weeks ago to make sure it wasn't that, and it seemed full, so I went w/ the u fool u put 87 octane in there. Well the shop called me and said that my oil was low right on the bottom line and it was my timing chain hydraulic sensor or something from it being low on oil. I also run Mobil 1 5w 30 synthetic and they are supposed to run 5k miles. Well I was a little over 4k miles since last oil change and that was the problem. They put the new synthetic in and the noise went away and it drove once again like a beauty. They also did a stage 3 gas cleaner, additive etc for the lower octane fuel I used just incase. My car is a Rev Up motor and these cars do burn oil and after about 3k miles your oil will be starting to get low even w/ the good oil... so don't depend on the 5k mileage Mobil 1 change. I figured they need a oil change after every 3k miles just to be safe. 142.00$ later my car is back to good and no problems. Glad I decided to go to the shop or could of been a lot worse. Goodluck.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the input fellow g35 owner. That makes me feel a bit better. Although i wasn't planning to change it at 5k miles. I knew she was due for an oil change soon but I didn't know how fast these car goes through motor oil. what kind of oil do you use?

Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 PM
I stated in my post... Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic. 5 qts I went about 4093 miles and it started pinging right around 4000 miles or so due to low oil.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Yeah I just reset the cel. It's gone for now and I hope it stays off. Makes me want to hook up a oil pressure gauge now.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by flytim3
Yeah I just reset the cel. It's gone for now and I hope it stays off. Makes me want to hook up a oil pressure gauge now.
LOL. It's a good idea for cars that burn oil.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Someone made a write up here. It is something that should be standard on cars!!!!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 AM
It should be! By the way what does ping mean?

Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 AM
It's like a knocking noise from the engine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil light came on/ with check engine light :(