Strange Ignition Lock Issue - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

General Tech Questions
This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Strange Ignition Lock Issue

Old 10-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Strange Ignition Lock Issue

Let me preface this by saying I dont know know much about cars in general, so please forgive me if I call something by the wrong name or do other dumb things of that nature.

I drive a 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe AT
My problem -
Last night I accidentally left my window down while I was at work and we experienced a burst of rain. When I tried to start my car my ignition was locked. I tried moving the steering wheel back and forth to unlock it as well as holding the brake and moving the steering wheel. No dice. My ignition is still locked up.
I'll list the things I know and have tried so far, maybe we that can help narrow it down.

The lights work (interior, brights etc)
I'm able to unlock and lock the car with the fob.
The car automatically locks, even if I'm sitting in the seat.
I'm able to unlock the door by pressing the button on the door handle with fob in hand.
I'm not able to disable the alarm using the panic button.
I'm not able to turn the key with the battery removed from the fob.

I have not tried jumping it, though I have doubts this will do anything.
I'm fairly certain this was caused by water intrusion, though it may be coincidental.

Any ideas?

Old 10-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Thaillier View Post
Let me preface this by saying I dont know know much about cars in general, so please forgive me if I call something by the wrong name or do other dumb things of that nature.

I drive a 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe AT
My problem -
Last night I accidentally left my window down while I was at work and we experienced a burst of rain. When I tried to start my car my ignition was locked. I tried moving the steering wheel back and forth to unlock it as well as holding the brake and moving the steering wheel. No dice. My ignition is still locked up.
I'll list the things I know and have tried so far, maybe we that can help narrow it down.

The lights work (interior, brights etc)
I'm able to unlock and lock the car with the fob.
The car automatically locks, even if I'm sitting in the seat.
I'm able to unlock the door by pressing the button on the door handle with fob in hand.
I'm not able to disable the alarm using the panic button.
I'm not able to turn the key with the battery removed from the fob.

I have not tried jumping it, though I have doubts this will do anything.
I'm fairly certain this was caused by water intrusion, though it may be coincidental.

Any ideas?
Call AAA, request a flatbed tow truck and send it to the nearest Infiniti dealer.

Telcoman

Old 10-26-2016, 05:26 PM
I don't have a dealership anywhere close to me.

Last edited by Thaillier; 10-26-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:33 PM
I can't really afford to do that right now.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Make sure your shift lever is all the way into "Park".

Last edited by 05_SkylineSedan; 10-27-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:55 PM
is the steering wheel locked?

Old 10-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Yes, I've tried everything. Car is in park all the way, steering wheel is currently locked. My think now is that my ignition lock switch is broken or somehow locked up by an anti-theft system.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 AM
You said you are "able to unlock the door by pressing the button on the door handle with fob in hand" so that means you have the Intelligent key, right? But I believe '06 still had a twisting ignition switch. So when you press the ignition switch in, before you turn it, a key-shaped symbol should light on the instrument cluster. If it's red then the car is not recognizing your I-key as being in the car and it won't start. If the key symbol is green then the car does recognize the key and something else is in play.

If you have the I-key you also have a mechanical key hidden in the fob - small switch on the back releases it. Put that in the ignition and try it.

Check those things out and let us know.

Also, you said "I'm not able to disable the alarm using the panic button". The panic button on the fob is for setting off the alarm by holding it for a couple seconds (in a panic). Once the alarm is sounding press "unlock" on the fob to stop it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 05_SkylineSedan For This Useful Post:
Urbanengineer (11-04-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Mechanical key still won't turn it. Beginning to think my ignition lock switch is actually broken.
Yes I have the intelligent key.
Also to reiterate, the key won't even turn to on. It's locked like if the steering wheel was locked.

Last edited by Thaillier; 11-03-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Bizarre. Does that mechanical key work in the driver's door and glove box locks? (Making sure it's the correct physical key for your car).

OK, some fuses to check. They're all related to i-key, particularly #18. Check all those outlined in the pic below.

Attached Thumbnails Strange Ignition Lock Issue-checkthese.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Also consider taking off the negative battery end and then turning on the lights to kill all built up charge and potentially reset any dumb problems these cars like to have.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Both my mechanical key works on everything save the ignition lock switch. I'll check fuses and try the battery thing next chance I get.
I want to thank everyone for helping me out so far. I'll be sure to follow up with my issue once it's resolved.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Hey Looks like you have knowledge on the infiniti G35 , mycar seems to have the same problem with the ignition locking and steering wheel locked also. My dash does show the red key symbol so Im guessing itís not recognizing the key. Not sure why. I did disconnect my battery and thatís when this all happened. Any suggestions ?
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan View Post
You said you are "able to unlock the door by pressing the button on the door handle with fob in hand" so that means you have the Intelligent key, right? But I believe '06 still had a twisting ignition switch. So when you press the ignition switch in, before you turn it, a key-shaped symbol should light on the instrument cluster. If it's red then the car is not recognizing your I-key as being in the car and it won't start. If the key symbol is green then the car does recognize the key and something else is in play.

If you have the I-key you also have a mechanical key hidden in the fob - small switch on the back releases it. Put that in the ignition and try it.

Check those things out and let us know.

Also, you said "I'm not able to disable the alarm using the panic button". The panic button on the fob is for setting off the alarm by holding it for a couple seconds (in a panic). Once the alarm is sounding press "unlock" on the fob to stop it.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Solid red key means no i-key was detected, replace the battery in your i-fob. If it still won't work your key may have died and you will need a replacement from Nissan/Infiniti.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 AM
I am having this SAME issue. I just bought my G and all I got was the key part inside The FOB when I got the car. Had it 3 or 4 days and everything was fine and last two days Its becoming more and more a pain in the *** to unlock the ignition. Yes the red key light comes on. But I have no problem unlocking the door or even doing the windows up and down trick. I'm at a loss of what to do. I honest have blisters on my finger from getting pissed and trying to start it lol.
​​​​​
Am I correct by saying a locksmith won't be able to make me another transponder key to check if my tumblers are messed up cause it won't recognize the key right? Or am I wrong?
I stopped last night. Disconnect the battery last night and came in and let it clear everything. So what should I do to start with this morning? Call a locksmith? Did you figure out what may have been stopping the key from turning? If so what did you do so I can try that next. I don't want to pay a few $100 and it be something stupid and replace the switch. I feel it's something stopping it from turning cause it will just randomly work at times. Just out of the blue it just turns like nothing is wrong and life is perfect. I don't get it.... Help!! Lol

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: