General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Exhaust install question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exhaust install question

Hey everyone, new to the forum and my name is Joe, I have a 2004 G35 coupe, manual trans.. Just installed Plenum spacer, z tube, and larger throttle body today.
My next step is going to be exhaust, im looking at Borla, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster. what experiences have you guys had for fitting? which ones require cutting/welding maybe? or do they just bolt right on?
Also, just on a side note, they guy i bought the car from said it was a 6mt, but how do I know for sure? It has nav, bose, black leather, titanium trim inside, and brembo brake package if that helps. Thanks

Old 02-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Hi Joe, welcome to the G35 forums! To answer your last question, 6mt means six speed manual transmission! (you have a clutch pedal) Exhaust systems, they're all bolt in and should fit like a glove! I've had 5 exhaust systems since I drove SLICK off the showroom floor in late 2003, two were sponsored which I quickly sold after installing them because I disliked the sound. A couple of our members swear by Exotic Speed R1-T. I prefer the true dual systems which elimates the y-pipe and comes directly off the converters like my HKS system! You've made a few good breather mods thus far, before dropping $$ on an exhaust system attend a few meets and listen to what others are running!
You have a great looking coupe Joe, again welcome to Driver and enjoy the ride!
Gary

Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks gary, ill check out exotic speed and HKS too. for the 6mt, at first thats what i thought i meant, but it looks like 6 mt is 6 magnesium tipped pistons.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
The biggest difference about fitment of these exhausts is an exhaust bracket that holds up the axle-back which differs depending on the model year of the G. Other than that, G exhausts can share the same components except for the muffler. You can even fit a 350Z exhaust if you get a 4" extension for the mid-pipe.

The brands you mention also carry universal parts which need to be fitted, cut, and welded to be installed. But if you get a kit made specifically for your car, you will not have to cut or weld anything, it will be a simple bolt-on job.

And... it doesn't matter which car we are talking about: 6MT = 6-Speed Manual Transmission

Last edited by dofu; 02-21-2017 at 11:32 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.