General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Replace fuel pump or whole assembly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace fuel pump or whole assembly?

So the other day I ran low on gas barely made it to the gas station, refilled, came home and parked. Few hours later went to run an errand but the car won't start. I primed the fuel pump by turning on off ignition few times... for the car started but engine died again under load. When I turn on the ignition, I DO hear the pump...so,
1. is it possible my pumps bad even though I hear it?
2. Should I just replace the pump or just buy the whole pump assembly since it comes with a new leveler that may possibly solve Gauge fluctuation issues?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by socalg35x
So the other day I ran low on gas barely made it to the gas station, refilled, came home and parked. Few hours later went to run an errand but the car won't start. I primed the fuel pump by turning on off ignition few times... for the car started but engine died again under load. When I turn on the ignition, I DO hear the pump...so,
1. is it possible my pumps bad even though I hear it?
2. Should I just replace the pump or just buy the whole pump assembly since it comes with a new leveler that may possibly solve Gauge fluctuation issues?
The low fuel warning light comes on with still a couple of gallons left in the tank.

Did you just think the warning light was just kidding you?

Perhaps there is air in the fuel line?

Try to keep in running for a longer period of time to get air out of the fuel line.

Perhaps you did ruin the fuel pump as gasoline in the tank keeps the pump cool?

Good luck

Telcoman

Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Air will purge through the line just by cycling the ignition on/off a few times, you probably damaged the fuel pump from running it dry, on a higher milage pump all it takes is no fuel for just a moment to irreparable damage it. Check fuel pressure with a pressure gauge (rated for fuel/oil, NOT an air pressure or water pressure gauge!!, I know the Schrader valve is exactly the same and the others will fit, you will break them if you try to use...) I'm not 100% sure on pressure spec without consulting the manual but it's probably 45-55psi through the entire rpm range.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I ran out of gas 3 times in this car and my fuel pump has been fine ever since. It was a week stretch where I was making a 75 miles a day drive fully cashed out starting new jobs. Ran it bone dry and no issues. I'm 35 and have always worked on my own cars, friend or family and I've never experienced a real life scenario that causes fuel pump failure from running out of gas. The car cuts off, there isn't time to overheat in a 1 second timeframe. I highly doubt you need a fuel pump out of the blue. Pull the fuel pump fuse and start the car, that should clear out the pressure if any air is trapped.

When you do run out of gas the junk at the bottom of the tank can run up and cause injector issues, blockage, whatever. I would make sure you have good gas, by some strong solvent fuel cleaner thats for injector cleaning and not fuel system treatment. Two different things, one is to clean the system good with strong solvent, the other is a full tank of gas, gas enhancer if you will, a gas treatment. Chemtool makes a good one, but by the one that has injecter cleaner on it. They have 2 versions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.