General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Need help with AC clutch/bearing PN info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Need help with AC clutch/bearing PN info

So I need a little help finding correct part numbers.

My AC whines at medium throttle in mid rpms. Doesn't squeek and doesn't grind, that bearing whine is the best way I can describe it. Sound can't be replicated at low throttle or wot and only happens with the air on.

So pretty sure it's the clutch or it needs to be backed out slightly or replaced. The part diagrams I've seen show the compressor and clutch assembly. Any past car diagram showed all the components from the clutch to snap ring, pulley, snap ring, coil with a plug than a bolt attached to the compressor. So is this like one solid clutch unit from Nissan where it's a one piece design.

Reason I want to know now if it's all one piece since determining if it's the clutch, vs bearing vs pulley is irrelevant if I have to order the same thing. My mustang had a spacer behind the clutch and pulley that caused me an issue before. Fixed very easily with a removal, clean and retighten and it was perfect. Took 15 minutes back to 100% quiet. Dealer told me it needed a full replacement new compressor and total cost was $1300. All because the clutch was to tight.

Any help will be appreciated. Rock Auto doesn't show the individual pieces. They list a a/c pulley but I'm pretty damn sure they mean idler pulley which is what I don't need.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
You'll probably have to go aftermarket to replace just the clutch/parts. I know on eBay there is a seller that sells just A/C clutch kits. The dealer or most other places are going to want you to buy a new one or reman probably. An old Volvo I had used shims to get the clutch to work properly. I could either buy a new one, reshim it, or take it apart to try and fix it. Due to time constraints, I decided to reshim it from the outside using zip ties and some magnets from RockAuto. It blew cold air until the car was in an accident afterwards, lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.