General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Passenger side switch not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger side switch not working

I have searched everywhere and I’m lost. I have an 06 G35x, up until this week it’s been great, until all of a sudden the passenger side window and the door lock switch on both sides don’t work. The switch on the passenger side isn’t illuminated nor does it click when I try to roll the window down. I have replaced the motor and switch a couple times with parts that i know are working. Could it really be the harness in the door is somehow throwing this off? All other windows work from the master switch and their respective switches, except for the passenger side

Old 03-22-2018, 01:03 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
With could definitely be broken in the harness probably where the door hinges.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:10 PM
I'm going to take the harness out this afternoon and inspect it, and hope I find the culprit. To ease my mind...the bcm couldn't be 'going bad' with just one window switch and door locks not working, correct? I have power to sunroof and all other windows, and believe that if the bcm were bad none of that would work

Old 03-22-2018, 09:25 PM
*Update* i have replaced the entire wiring harness in the passenger door and I still don't have power to my passenger window or the door lock switches. I'm completely stumped at this point. Please help

Old 03-23-2018, 12:05 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Coupe or sedan?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Sedan . The only possible factors left that I know of is maybe the driver door wiring harness has a wire pinched in it, I say this because the little light at the bottom of the door has never worked since I owned the car, or the bcm is faulty? Absolute worst case scenario is wires behind the dash have been cut somehow.

Last edited by Schenzel; 03-23-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
On the passenger window switch harness the WHITE wire should read 12v, the BLACK wire should read continuity to ground, I would verify these two first before going any further to make sure there is actually power going to the switch an that you have a ground connection. Next the window UP button should return 12v on the BLUE wire and the window DOWN button should return 12v on the GREEN wire

The passenger window does NOT WORK when operated from the driver controller correct?

The passenger door lock does NOT WORK when operated from the driver controller correct?

Basically how the system works is the BCM sends power to the driver and passenger switch, when you press the button the signal is encoded into a SERIAL communication signal back to the BCM, the BCM then sends the serial signal back to whichever window needs to be operated, the switch assembly at each door all have a CPU and encoder/decoder to read the serial signal and then the switch operates the window motor at it's door.

Lock controls are handled entirely by the BCM and do not have to serial pass through the door switch controller a second time, the signal originates at the button, is encoded to serial communication to the BCM and the BCM is directly wired to each lock cylinder with the sole exception of the DRIVER lock which has the capability to roll down/up windows (hold the key in the lock/unlock position to roll up/down windows from outside the vehice) and is encoded to the driver window controller.

If the passenger door lock will NOT operate from either the key fob or the driver side door controller then the problem is likely either the wiring or the BCM itself.

If the passenger door lock DOES operate properly from the fob/driver but NOT from the passenger controller then it could be wiring, or the controller on the passenger side, since the passenger side doesn't have any lights my guess is it's either not recieving power or the ground wire is broken, or the entire controller is bad.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
On the passenger window switch harness the WHITE wire should read 12v, the BLACK wire should read continuity to ground, I would verify these two first before going any further to make sure there is actually power going to the switch an that you have a ground connection. Next the window UP button should return 12v on the BLUE wire and the window DOWN button should return 12v on the GREEN wire

The passenger window does NOT WORK when operated from the driver controller correct?

The passenger door lock does NOT WORK when operated from the driver controller correct?

Basically how the system works is the BCM sends power to the driver and passenger switch, when you press the button the signal is encoded into a SERIAL communication signal back to the BCM, the BCM then sends the serial signal back to whichever window needs to be operated, the switch assembly at each door all have a CPU and encoder/decoder to read the serial signal and then the switch operates the window motor at it's door.

Lock controls are handled entirely by the BCM and do not have to serial pass through the door switch controller a second time, the signal originates at the button, is encoded to serial communication to the BCM and the BCM is directly wired to each lock cylinder with the sole exception of the DRIVER lock which has the capability to roll down/up windows (hold the key in the lock/unlock position to roll up/down windows from outside the vehice) and is encoded to the driver window controller.

If the passenger door lock will NOT operate from either the key fob or the driver side door controller then the problem is likely either the wiring or the BCM itself.

If the passenger door lock DOES operate properly from the fob/driver but NOT from the passenger controller then it could be wiring, or the controller on the passenger side, since the passenger side doesn't have any lights my guess is it's either not recieving power or the ground wire is broken, or the entire controller is bad.

the passenger window doesn't move at all from driver side or passenger side switch. The same goes for the lock. Neither side will work. The key fob operates as it should and the doors lock and unlock from that. Just not the switch in the car

Old 03-23-2018, 12:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
So the key fob operates the passenger door lock but the DRIVER controller does not operate the passenger door lock?

Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Yes

Old 03-23-2018, 01:01 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think it's time for a trip to Nissan, you might have a BCM problem but check all the stuff from post #7 though.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:21 PM
What's the usual life expectancy on a bcm? I just put a used one with low mileage(according to seller) in my car in December and plus wouldn't all windows and sunroof be affected from that and not just the passenger side?

Old 03-23-2018, 01:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Not necessarily, there are many digitally operated relays inside a device like that and all it takes is a single component to fail and the whole thing is pretty much trash. The Nissan diagnostic will either prove or eliminate the BCM as the failed item but you still need to verify the passenger switch has 12v power AND a ground. You can also probe the same wire shortly after the BCM (there is a factory splice because the white wire goes to both driver and passenger switches) to verify power is being sent properly. The passenger switch not being illuminated makes me thing it's not getting power AT ALL but the lock wierdness makes me think BCM.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:39 PM
So there's no way possible this could have happened somewhere in the driver door? I did replace the wire harness in the passenger door and result was the same. With the little foot light under the door panel not working as I've switched it with one that does work and still nothing, that gives me a little hunch that those wires and possibly more wires in relation to the passenger side could be damaged. I'll test the voltage and I'll get another bcm tomorrow and test it just to see if that's the case.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:58 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You can't just plug in a BCM, it needs to be programmed by the dealership, I highly recommend just paying the $100 for a diagnostic rather than throwing more parts at the car hoping something fixes it. Get the diagnostic done at Nissan, they are cheaper than Infiniti, the Consult-II tests for the BCM are comprehensive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passenger side switch not working