General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Need help, ignition switch issue

Old 07-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help, ignition switch issue

So I started having trouble getting the ignition key to turn during start up, and after doing some investigating I found out that my ignition cylinder was bad. I purchased a “new” ignition switch from a salvage yard and after fumbling with the wires (I didn’t take a picture before disconnecting everything) I got it installed. I had the key reprogrammed by a locksmith and the engine started right up but I noticed the airbag indicator light was flashing and I discovered I forgot to re-plug one of the electrical cables.

At this point I was just happy to get the car back running after it sat for several days, and thought that since it started right up then the unplugged cable must not be related to the ignition nor starting the car. So after the locksmith left I decide to take a short test drive around the corner to the nearest grocery store.

It ran fine getting there, but when I tried to leave the store that’s when the trouble began. I put the key in the ignition, turned it, the engine started and immediately died. Fortunately on my second attempt the car started up, continued to run, and I was able to make it back home. So after letting the car sit for 20 mins or so, I came back out to try and start it again.

Same issue...the car starts and immediately all the indicator lights illuminate and the engine shuts off. After making a couple phone calls, someone suggested starting the car in neutral and then put it in drive, this worked with no problem. I was told there may be an issue with the wiring or maybe the sensors, and it might be related to how I put everything back together. I was wondering does anybody have a diagram or manual on how the wiring works that they could e-mail me? Any other ideas of what it could be?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by rh04g35
So I started having trouble getting the ignition key to turn during start up, and after doing some investigating I found out that my ignition cylinder was bad. I purchased a “new” ignition switch from a salvage yard and after fumbling with the wires (I didn’t take a picture before disconnecting everything) I got it installed. I had the key reprogrammed by a locksmith and the engine started right up but I noticed the airbag indicator light was flashing and I discovered I forgot to re-plug one of the electrical cables.

At this point I was just happy to get the car back running after it sat for several days, and thought that since it started right up then the unplugged cable must not be related to the ignition nor starting the car. So after the locksmith left I decide to take a short test drive around the corner to the nearest grocery store.

It ran fine getting there, but when I tried to leave the store that’s when the trouble began. I put the key in the ignition, turned it, the engine started and immediately died. Fortunately on my second attempt the car started up, continued to run, and I was able to make it back home. So after letting the car sit for 20 mins or so, I came back out to try and start it again.

Same issue...the car starts and immediately all the indicator lights illuminate and the engine shuts off. After making a couple phone calls, someone suggested starting the car in neutral and then put it in drive, this worked with no problem. I was told there may be an issue with the wiring or maybe the sensors, and it might be related to how I put everything back together. I was wondering does anybody have a diagram or manual on how the wiring works that they could e-mail me? Any other ideas of what it could be?
Sorry to hear you are having a problem.
You don't mention the year or model of your vehicle.
You failed to take a photo of the ignition wiring prior to disconnecting wires from the old switch or write anything down.
You failed to obtain the FSM for your vehicle.
Is it safe to assume that you do not own any type of code scanner or a multimeter?
And you expect assistance over the internet?

Sorry I can't help you

Telcoman

Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Doesn't sound like the problem is in the lock cylinder, all it does is physically allows the key to turn the switch. There is an antenna on the side that reads the RFID chip in the key and if everything checks out the ECU takes over and closes the ignition start contact in the IPDM and controls the fuel injectors and coil packs to start the engine. If it immediately shuts off after starting I'd be looking into an engine controls problem.

If you can, make a quick video of the problem and put it on youtube, post the link here so we can SEE what is happening.

There is a park/neutral position switch on the side of the transmission that sends data to the TCM which then communicates to the ECU to prevent the IGNITION START CONTACT FROM CLOSING. If your starter will turn on and crank the engine then the problem is not the neutral switch, if the starter will not turn on while it's in park then the problem MIGHT be the PNP switch.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Doesn't sound like the problem is in the lock cylinder, all it does is physically allows the key to turn the switch. There is an antenna on the side that reads the RFID chip in the key and if everything checks out the ECU takes over and closes the ignition start contact in the IPDM and controls the fuel injectors and coil packs to start the engine. If it immediately shuts off after starting I'd be looking into an engine controls problem.

If you can, make a quick video of the problem and put it on youtube, post the link here so we can SEE what is happening.

There is a park/neutral position switch on the side of the transmission that sends data to the TCM which then communicates to the ECU to prevent the IGNITION START CONTACT FROM CLOSING. If your starter will turn on and crank the engine then the problem is not the neutral switch, if the starter will not turn on while it's in park then the problem MIGHT be the PNP switch.

It’s an 04’ g35 sedan AT. Cleric670-Thanks for the info, I’m working until 10 tonight but I’ll post a video tomorrow to give you a better idea of what I’m experiencing.