General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Where is the a/c compressor relay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Where is the a/c compressor relay?

A/C's blown cold air for 15 years and yesterday it decided to tell me to get ****ed. No warning at all. The compressor clutch doesn't engage. I have no issue paying to get it repaired but most technicians always find a way to **** up the task at hand or something else non-related. They've got a knack.
I've looked over the fsm and cannot find this relay. No fuse box has anything written on it regarding the a/c relay. I found a 10amp fuse and that's it. Perhaps there is no relay. I'd like to jump the relay and see if the compressor clutch does function and then go from there like all those on so many youtube vids as that's my only resource for a diy repair at this point.
If the clutch engages, then I know that aspect of the compressor is good and now I have a way to force the compressor to operate while I add refrigerant. At this point I will know if refrigerant is needed via a high/low manifold gauge. If refrigerant is good, I'll move to replace the pressure switch. I'm betting it's one of the 3, the compressor, the pressure switch or low refrigerant which is affecting the pressure switch and the compressor. I'll add some r134 stop leak in the hopes that it clogs up whatever's probably been slowly leaking as well as the a/c pro high mileage and some dye if I'm able.
If there's a relay, someone tell me where this damn thing is and please impart some knowledge as to what you've done to rectify your similar situation.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The low side line will always hold a static pressure, you can check it with the compressor turned off and it should still be 45-50psi.

AC relay is located in the IPDM. Not sure what year your vehicle is but this should get you close, I don't know why it isn't shown on the IPDM diagram but it's definitely in the IPDM, it gets power from the 10amp fuse location 79 on my 2006.

The following users liked this post:
onevq35de (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You can also unplug the harness for the low pressure switch (pretty sure you can access everything by just removing the grill) and test resistance, it should be a closed circuit so the meter will display the same reading as if you were touching the probes together.

The following users liked this post:
onevq35de (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:49 PM
Thanks a lot for all that cleric. I'm gonna check this out tomorrow for sure. Bruce W's getting roasted tonight.
I've got like 4 fuse boxes in my 03 fx35. 3 in the battery box and one on the driver side kick panel. Hopefully the fx shares this with the g as it does so many other things and if not, imma shoot it like you and your buddy did to that poor, big-*** squirrel! Guess they get pretty big over there on the west coast.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Here's a pic of my ipdm. It appears as though they are a little different. The a/c relay is not in the same location. Figures. I don;t have much experience with electrical components so I might be better off taking it to a shop.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04’ G35 Coupe Sport
Originally Posted by onevq35de
Here's a pic of my ipdm. It appears as though they are a little different. The a/c relay is not in the same location. Figures. I don;t have much experience with electrical components so I might be better off taking it to a shop.

did you ever figure the problem out????