General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

2003 died at idle, restart with long cranking...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 PM
ofg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 died at idle, restart with long cranking...

Well, this thing almost dumped me again. It died while idling in a drive thru. Started back up but required long crank time. Ran fine home. No SES light. I will scan codes tomorrow. I just replaced cam sensors for the 2nd time about 9 weeks ago. Its driven may be 500 miles in that time. Anybody want to pose a guess? First time it dumped me, it was cam sensors. Next time it didnt want to start it was a cam sensor. This time,, died at idle, and somewhat hard start,,,,,,, cam sensoer(s)?? Ill post scan results tomorrow. Very tired of this lemon!

Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
What's the brand of sensor you've been using?

Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 PM
ofg
Ah yes, very pertinent question. Autozone, the cheap ones.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Maybe your crank sensor? When it's hard to start is your RPM needle moving everytime?

Old 10-18-2018, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by ofg
Do you know the definition of insanity?

Telcoman

Old 10-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by ofg
There you go. I just did extensive research and posted it on a thread regarding cam sensors. Hitachi bought from any major auto parts store is oem. $145 including shipping for 2 cam 1 crank position sensor @ rock auto.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:19 AM
ofg
Well, thankfully, ive only done it twice, so im not quite insane,, just a little crazy. Allright then,, if it turns out to be cam sensor(s) again, then I will be sure to get hitachi. The onse in there might be though. They cost like 30 and 40 dollars each. Not sure. Perhaps the crank sensor. I didnt notice if any needles were bouncing at the hard start. When I started again, it fired right up. Ill keep an eye on the dash when we move cars around today. I had just pulled the g35 out of the garage to give it a few days of driving, then this happened. So, now we have to get the g back in and my fj out...

Old 10-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
What did the codes say?
Also, it's not a lemon, it's 15 years old and still on the road. Most cars don't even make it that far, but you should expect things will break and you'll have to fix them if you want to keep it going reliably - even a 15 year old Camry will need work, and it's not a 250 WHP RWD sports car platform either.

If you want to keep the car and not be constantly chasing major issues it's a good idea to do some preventative maintenance and a tune up so that all of the old age issues with the engine are taken care of all at once with as little headache as possible. Get all the parts from RockAuto all at once (only pay shipping once) and do it all in one sitting, and it'll only take a few hours of your time.

If original replace with OE or OE quality:
-Cam/crank sensors (Hitachi or OEM known to be reliable)
-Buy a couple $5 used coil packs for when one or yours goes out
-Thermostat $20
-Upper/Lower Radiator hoses to be extra safe. $15
-Coolant bleeder valve (this tends to crack and cause catastrophic coolant loss with old age)
-Coolant temperature sensor ($6 part that failed on my 04 causing hard starts and apparent overheating, threw no codes)
-Clean the MAF and throttle body (don't move the throttle plate while cleaning)
-Spark plugs inspect/replace if old
-If your alternator/belts are really old, this is a very good time to replace them as you need to bleed the coolant system and take the hoses off to get to the alt. I didn't replace the old one on my 04 when I drained my coolant, and a month later it went out causing me to have to do everything again.
-Get a $10 Bluetooth OBDII adapter so you can check codes on your own instead of relying on a mechanic or AutoZone for troubleshooting and parts.

If you go ahead and do all that you've gotten rid of all the age related "time bombs" in your engine control, charging, and cooling subsystems with the exception of the water pump and O2 sensors which are less common failures, and you've spared yourself the headache of unexpected breakdowns and the perception that your car is a "lemon" when in reality you've just got a bunch of 15 year components which are all starting to go at the same time. If you replace them all at once you may find your G will run reliably right up until the date something blows up in the engine or transmission, which is completely a factor of how the car was driven and maintained at this point,

Last edited by cswlightning; 10-18-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:03 PM
ofg
Code was p0345, cam sensor bank 2, which is the driver side. Im pretty sure I had gotten delphi sensors. The hitachi is actually cheaper, but not carried in stock, so ill have to order it. I know, its not really a lemon, but this was supposed to be a reliable daily, and ive spent more time and money on it than any car ive owned in recent history. These cam sensors keep going out and thats been the only reocurring issue. Everything else has been once and done.

I bought the car at 130k miles, and did all the routine maintenence and typical repairs that these cars are known to need in that amount of miles,, about 10 months and may be 1600 miles ago. The previous owner did nothing. So when issues popped up, they offed it. On the positive side, its near mint in appearance and general function. A real low miles survivor. Unfortunately,, things like sensor, coil packs, rubber seals and hoses are all over due for failure. Eventually, if I keep it, it will get the whole valve cover, spark plug, coil pack, plenum spacer service upgrade... right now,, just trying to keep it going. So,, off to the parts store and order up some hitachi sensors.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:56 PM
You're just bitching cause you f'd up. I know, I do it too. This and other vq forums have multiple threads of people just like you going through exactly what you're going through because they bought aftermarket sensors. I almost did as well. Lesson learned. Hitachi coil packs, throttle bodies, sensors, they're all original equipment AND appropriately priced.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 AM
ofg
I dont know about the price. The crap Delphi I have cost more than hitachi from autozone. Dealer quoted me roughly 150 a piece for oem. Im going hitachi all the way this time. Then the only thing I can bitch about is fuel mileage. Its weird though. I have used delphi on other cars no problem. Dealer wanted my vin because they had 2 different part numbers for 03 cam sensor bank 2. Im wondering if there is a difference..

Old 10-19-2018, 06:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There were multiple revisions to the cam sensors but revision D supersedes all for OEM parts, the dealer was probably confused because he saw revision C and D both on the screen and didn't read the footnote about revision D superseding the other.

Just get the Hitachi and call it a day, it's either revision A or C depending on the bank, you don't NEED the revision D it just has a metal housing designed likely to prevent a rare occurrence of oil leeching into the cam sensor and causing a failure. All other non-oem sensors are a Gamble and have a long history of not working properly or prematurely failing.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:20 PM
ofg
I jiust ordered a hitachi for bank 2. Should be in by sunday. It seems the same one keeps failing,,I think it was the p0345 code last time as well. So, the pass side seems to be holding on a little better. When that one starts to fail, ill get hitachi for replacement there too.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by ofg
I jiust ordered a hitachi for bank 2. Should be in by sunday. It seems the same one keeps failing,,I think it was the p0345 code last time as well. So, the pass side seems to be holding on a little better. When that one starts to fail, ill get hitachi for replacement there too.
I recall reading people replacing both cam and the crank sensors because replacing just the one known by the code didn't do it. I had a po345 pending but replaced all 3 for the price of one from Infiniti. Infiniti dealers can kiss my ***.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:42 PM
ofg
Ill have to see. I ordered from the parts store. 1/3 the cost from dealer, and I specified hitachi.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003 died at idle, restart with long cranking...