Go Back  G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion > Tech Area - V35 > General Tech Questions
Reload this Page >

Oil dripping as car is running. What could it be? 04 G35 Coupe AT 180XXX Miles

General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Oil dripping as car is running. What could it be? 04 G35 Coupe AT 180XXX Miles

  #1  
Old 01-20-2019, 02:47 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silver 04 G35 Coupe AT
Oil dripping as car is running. What could it be? 04 G35 Coupe AT 180XXX Miles

oil dripping onto hot exhaust pipe and smoking and then and leaking onto subframe near back of engine before pooling onto the ground. No valve cover leak (just replaced) and I just replaced oil cooler gasket. What could it possibly be now
 
  #2  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:00 PM
LoSt180's Avatar
Premier Member
iTrader: (11)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,624
Liked 407 Times in 336 Posts
Sounds like a valve cover leak. If you just replaced it, double check that something didn't get pinched during install causing a bad seal. Seal could have slipped out of the cover while setting it down, especially in a hard to see corner.

Once you triple check that, start looking for where it's coming from. Spray the area with brake cleaner so it's "dry", then check it after running for a bit. The o-ring around the cam sensors at the back of the head were leaking on mine. Noticed it while changing the clutch.
 
The following users liked this post: LoSt180
MD99 (01-22-2019)
  #3  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
BANNED!!!
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 5,910
Liked 646 Times in 601 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Buy a telescoping inspection mirror and a good flashlight. Look around until you find where it's leaking from.

Protip: shine the flashlight on the mirror and it reflects the light onto the surface you're looking at.
 
The following users liked this post: [email protected]
MD99 (01-22-2019)
  #4  
Old 01-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silver 04 G35 Coupe AT
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Sounds like a valve cover leak. If you just replaced it, double check that something didn't get pinched during install causing a bad seal. Seal could have slipped out of the cover while setting it down, especially in a hard to see corner.

Once you triple check that, start looking for where it's coming from. Spray the area with brake cleaner so it's "dry", then check it after running for a bit. The o-ring around the cam sensors at the back of the head were leaking on mine. Noticed it while changing the clutch.
my valve cover gasket had blown out. I assume high pressure due to a buildup of frozen condensation clogging my catch can setup since itís winter in MD right now. Gonna go with stock PCV setup w new OEM pcv valve and slap another gasket on and see if it happens again. Thanks for all advice. But do any of you think it could be a deeper problem than just a clogged pcv system? I didnít have this problem in the summer
 
  #5  
Old 01-20-2019, 06:27 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
BANNED!!!
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 5,910
Liked 646 Times in 601 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take off the PCV valve and see if it's all clogged up but I doubt that's the problem, you would have to clog up BOTH heads for there to actually be a problem like that.

However I would definitely get an inspection mirror in there first to verify EXACTLY where the oil is coming from.
 
The following users liked this post: [email protected]
MD99 (01-22-2019)
  #6  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silver 04 G35 Coupe AT
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Take off the PCV valve and see if it's all clogged up but I doubt that's the problem, you would have to clog up BOTH heads for there to actually be a problem like that.

However I would definitely get an inspection mirror in there first to verify EXACTLY where the oil is coming from.
Well I know the oil was leaking from a higher area as it was dripping onto the exhaust manifold before going down to the subframe. Took off the air box to get a clear view of the of the valve covers and bam. A piece of the gasket hanging out with oil flowing from where the gasket was supposed to be. So I know thatís the source but I know blown valve cover gaskets are usually linked to pressure and these are new gaskets I had just put on a few days ago too. The only thing I have on the car that could affect the pressure of the system is the catch can system. Iím installing another gasket tomorrow with stock pcv setup to see if anything happens. If it happens again then I know I have to look into a pressure test to see if anything is getting past the piston rings or if thereís a crack somewhere in the block or something but I doubt it. I donít think itís that common but only time will tell.
 
  #7  
Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 5,910
Liked 646 Times in 601 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just out of curiousity are you using any rtv sealant? If so are you making sure to let it cure for 24 hours +/- depending on ambient temperature before driving? Also, did you thoroughly clean the gasket surfaces on both sides with brake cleaner before installing?
 
The following users liked this post: [email protected]
MD99 (01-22-2019)
  #8  
Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silver 04 G35 Coupe AT
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just out of curiousity are you using any rtv sealant? If so are you making sure to let it cure for 24 hours +/- depending on ambient temperature before driving? Also, did you thoroughly clean the gasket surfaces on both sides with brake cleaner before installing?
Yes I'm using RTV as indicated in the service manual and allowing it to cure before operation. I also made sure to remove all old RTV and thoroughly clean with brake cleaner afterwards.
 
  #9  
Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 680
Liked 70 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MD99 View Post
Yes I'm using RTV as indicated in the service manual and allowing it to cure before operation. I also made sure to remove all old RTV and thoroughly clean with brake cleaner afterwards.
I put a dab of rtv every few inches on the valve cover and then put the gasket on and put some weight on the cover and let it cure for about an hour so the gasket doesn't shift position while putting it back in, especially the corners
At least it's the driver side and not the passenger. Half the work
 
The following users liked this post: FreshLikeAG
MD99 (01-22-2019)
  #10  
Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silver 04 G35 Coupe AT
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG View Post
I put a dab of rtv every few inches on the valve cover and then put the gasket on and put some weight on the cover and let it cure for about an hour so the gasket doesn't shift position while putting it back in, especially the corners
At least it's the driver side and not the passenger. Half the work
I utilize the same tactic
 
  #11  
Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
BANNED!!!
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 5,910
Liked 646 Times in 601 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I used just rtv and no other gasket, the FSM doesn't call for a rubber gasket. Typically a rubber gasket is for installations that can't wait for the rtv to cure overnight.

It's a trade off, rubber gasket can be driven immediately but will fail sooner, rtv requires a cure time but lasts longer. Certainly no harm in using both though and on some installations it's easier to use dabs of rtv on a rubber gasket to hold it in place in cramped working quarters.

How long did it operate properly before blowing out the gasket?
 
  #12  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:34 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silver 04 G35 Coupe AT
I'm not 100% sure when it blew but i know it was sometime right after installation. I just replaced the gasket and have the stock pcv setup on the car as well. Will let you know how it holds up by the end of the week.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rimshaker
G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
7
09-03-2009 03:18 PM
Brian10
G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08
12
06-26-2007 06:25 PM
maicoJr
Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
1
05-25-2007 11:22 PM
belal242
G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
3
03-12-2007 03:05 PM
ryn996
Florida G Club
7
07-12-2006 05:54 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Oil dripping as car is running. What could it be? 04 G35 Coupe AT 180XXX Miles


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: