General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Passenger Side HID Projector Vibrating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger Side HID Projector Vibrating

Hello all,

I bought an 04 G35 Coupe last summer and I'm new to the forums. I got into a small accident a few months ago and have done repairs (front passenger side) that include a fender replacement, bumper, and headlights. I bought the Spec D sequential headlights and they were great for about 2 months until recently. The passenger side HID projector sits a bit lower than the driver side and vibrates with the engine vibration. I understand it is common for HIDs to vibrate but this isnt a normal vibration. The prominent HID light cutoff is noticeably lower on the passenger side than the driver side. As I said I'm new to the forums and I'm not sure if there is an existing thread for this issue, but if anybody could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks to whoever could provide some suggestions and I'm happy to be apart of the group.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:43 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Damn that is an awesome pic of your G!

Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Damn that is an awesome pic of your G!
thanks a lot! Appreciate it

Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Start with a simple adjustment and see if it gets better? Not understanding your issue.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Start with a simple adjustment and see if it gets better? Not understanding your issue.
I’ve pulled the headlight unit and took the HID bulb out. Everything is secured but it looks like the bulb is damaged a bit so that might be my issue. It was pretty tough to explain without a picture/video.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You're probably not seeing a vibration but rather a hyper-flicker which is basically crappy capacitors not delivering a steady flow of current into the ballast. You end up with a flicker based on the current delivery out of the alternator, usually it's more prevalent at idle and as the rpm's rise above like 3-4k the flicker seems to disappear.

DC current in cars has a LOT of interface noise frequencies in it, everything from the radio, the headlights, the generator/alternator, even the discharge of the coil packs all induce bad frequencies into the current. If you don't have good capacitors (or a lot of chokes which unfortunately manufacturers don't use on cars much) then you start to see it in equipment with lesser quality (or failing) components.

EDIT: (air friction across the vehicle at highway speed generates static electrical noise as well but in an automotive application it's almost never an issue)

If you burn out another headlight rapidly (noise generates a lot of extra friction/heat in lamps) then you probably need to replace the ballast. However if it was a defective lamp to begin with and didn't have the proper charge of gas then it will simply amplify any existing noise so it might have just been a bad lamp.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:37 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
G35C 5AT
Dang, I was debating if that style headlights would look good. Consider me sold!

Old 05-07-2023, 10:31 PM
Clean
Originally Posted by Greg Jamieson
I’ve pulled the headlight unit and took the HID bulb out. Everything is secured but it looks like the bulb is damaged a bit so that might be my issue. It was pretty tough to explain without a picture/video.
Did you change your bulb 💡? Did that fix the shake ?