General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Parking lights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti g35 coupe
Parking lights won't turn off

2006 infiniti g35 coupe parking lights stay on even if the key is out of the ignition and lights are turned off. I've disconnected the battery and let it sit overnight and the parking lights still come on and stay on when the battery is reconnected, even though the lights are turned off at the switch and the key is out of the ignition. I saw a few posts with the same title but none had any resolution other than take it to the dealer and those who did take to the dealer didn't post what was going on. Please help guys and gals, I really need to get my car fixed!

Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Usually it's water contaminating the IPDM.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Infiniti g35 coupe
I took the battery out and removed the cover from the ipdm and there was some moisture inside the plastic cover. I left everything apart over night and the moisture that was in the cover evaporated, so I put everything back together and the parking lights came on about 20 minutes after I reconnected the battery. Is there anything else that I can do to help get any residual moisture out or is the ipdm in need of replacement? I'm hoping that if water is the culprit when all is dry I won't have this problem. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Same trick as dropping your phone in water, take out the battery, remove the entire IPDM, disassemble as fully as you are able (take a picture of all fuse and relay locations, take it ENTIRELY apart) and place it in a bag of rice overnight along with all the components so they can fully dry out.

While the IPDM is out clean out the drain in the chassis below the battery tray, it can get clogged with debris if you aren't keeping the cowl drains clear of leaves and such. Also inspect the cover gasket on the IPDM, and make sure to reassemble it so the cover is properly sealed.

You should also remove the cowl cover and inspect/clean the drains for it as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:40 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
Might also be a faulty light switch. Easy way to check is to unplug the switch from the steering column.

Those lights will come on if the switch is left on even with the key off. Easy thing to check before trying to tackle the IPDM.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Infiniti g35 coupe

Update: I removed the steering wheel cover and disconnected the arm which contains the light switch and is also your turn signals then reconnected my battery and my parking lights are still on and my key is still out of the ignition. So, I went ahead and removed the ipdm and disconnected
all relays and fuses and placed it in a gallon zip lock bag with some rice. I did notice that some water droplets came out when flipped over after removal of the relays and fuses. I also noticed some rust like residue on a few of the relays, see pics. I used a bunch of Qtips and alcohol to clean up all the contacts. Fingers crossed that after a few days of being in the rice bag that my problem is fixed. Thanks again for your help and if you have any additional suggestions please let me know!

Old 06-25-2019, 04:10 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
When you reinsert all the fuses you should plug each one in like 5-6 times to remove any surface corrosion on the contact points.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:09 AM
How the hell does water get into the IPDM when it has a shell-like cover over it?? Its puzzling! It doesnt look like the whole thing got flooded with water.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Cowl drains clog easily then it waterfalls onto the IPDM.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Cowl drains clog easily then it waterfalls onto the IPDM.
But it has a cover over it. The only way to get water inside it is for it to move from the bottom towards the top. But that IPDM doesnt look like it was flooded.

The only possible way I see water getting inside the IPDM is if the cover has been installed incorrectly...leaving a gap.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Infiniti g35 coupe
The cover was installed correctly when I removed it and the drain at the bottom was clear, but the drain boot wasn't installed in the hole at all but was just laying in the bottom beneath the battery tray/ipdm. I was able to remove the back cover from the ipdm and there was moisture inside, so I left it off when I put it in rice. It's probably worth mentioning that this problem occurred within a day of driving in a serious rain storm. But I still can't understand how water got in to the ipdm if all covers are installed correctly and the drain wasn't clogged. I plan on re-installing everything on Friday hoping that three days in rice will dry it out. Wish me luck!

Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'm not talking about the battery tray drain, the COWL drain below the covers for the windshield wiper motors. The drain holes are really small and the entire COWL fills with water then waterfalls off right on top of the IPDM.

Yes the cover not being installed properly is likely why this happened as well, it takes both points to fail for it to fill with water like that and an improperly installed cover is extremely common.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Or just a LOT of water spilling on top of it.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Infiniti g35 coupe
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I'm not talking about the battery tray drain, the COWL drain below the covers for the windshield wiper motors. The drain holes are really small and the entire COWL fills with water then waterfalls off right on top of the IPDM.

Yes the cover not being installed properly is likely why this happened as well, it takes both points to fail for it to fill with water like that and an improperly installed cover is extremely common.
Are you talking about these?

Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
No, on the chassis, right below the linkage that ties the two wipers together. They're pretty small and easy to miss.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parking lights won't turn off