Hawaii Honolulu

Spots for Photoshoots on Oahu, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spots for Photoshoots on Oahu, Hawaii

As an aspiring photographer, I am always looking for new locations to shoot cars, bikes, models, buildings, landscapes, etc... This is when I got the idea of putting together a "database" of photoshoot locations on Oahu. It would be open to input from anyone, and would help photographers in our area to find new spots, and to share those they have found along the way.

The way this thread will work is photographers (like myself) can post pictures of locations they have found so that others can use them, but in addition to adding locations, people can request locations. For example, I'm currently looking for a red brick wall to use as a background for my next car shoot. If anyone knows where I can find one that is publicly accessible, please post location/pics of the spot.

Post up whatever you've got, and feel free to ask questions as this thread is meant to be a tool for all of us.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 PM

Forget the name of this spot... Chad brought us here for one of the cruises. Almost looks like mainland-style mountains. Just remember we went through Waianae... and kept going West for a while until we couldn't go much further. Name of the spot would be appreciated.

Although this isn't a public spot, I know a bunch of guys can get on base, so this is for them. This spot is on top of a hill at Kaneohe MCBH (is that correct?)

This spot located at Kawela Bay adjacent to Turtle Bay Resort is a beautiful spot for almost any kind of photography, whether you are interested in taking pictures of your cars, models, or landscapes, but I found the sunsets there to be breathtaking.

Here are my requests:
Red Brick Wall (big enough to be a backdrop for a g35, and big enough to fill the full frame)

Building/Parking Structures with white lighting. I find it difficult to deal with mixed lighting, and the orange/yellow lights commonly used here are not ideal for car photography. Pure white lights are best for this in my opinion, but anything close to this would be appreciated

Anyone been on any particularly nice hikes? I'm looking for nice landscapes, and areas which show pure natural beauty, without buildings or other man-made structures. Maybe some others would be interested in joining me for some photo hikes? Let me know!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope this grows into a great resource for all of its readers!

Last edited by sncskyline; 06-19-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a challege on my own downtown/chinatown esp. HPU area.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh and just a warning to all... Never try to do a real photoshoot in Ala Moana parking lot. I was dumb enough to try this twice, and the second time they made me erase my memory cards. Not as friendly as you would expect.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, sorry to hear that. we're mostly lucky back in 05/06 days and maybe it also depends how cool the security is. most of my solo shots were quick though.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 AM
damn that sucks about the memory cards.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by sncskyline

Although this isn't a public spot, I know a bunch of guys can get on base, so this is for them. This spot is on top of a hill at Kaneohe MCBH (is that correct?)
I took a few pictures there two nights ago. Here's the once I took. Depending on the time of the day, you'll be able to get some good exposure..I'm not a professional or anything but, I just got into it as a hobby. Hope you like them:

Old 06-20-2008, 04:04 AM
your in hawaii what more could you need lol !!!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:14 AM
thats true.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 AM
nice pics... gotta love that spot.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 AM
The name of the beach is Yokohamas (hawaiian name is Keawa`ula).

And about the pure white light, sorry there is no such thing. Regular bulbs are orange and have a kelvin rating of 3600k, sunlight is 5600k. the only way you can get pure white light is by knowing what Kelvin temperature your light source is and white balancing your camera to it. Sorry if you already knew this just thought id post it up.

Heres a chart to help you match colors
2800k = super orange light = candle
3200k = orange light = light bulb
4600k = green light = fluorescent bulb
5600k = blue light = sunlight

remember all of these can be pure white if you balance your camera to the temperature. also if you balance your camera to a certain temperature like sunlight and have a normal house bulb in the shot then its going to make the sunlight look white and the light bulb look orange. also works the other way around. If you balance to 3200k and see sunlight coming in your house through a window then the light through the window is going to be blue.

again sorry if everybody knew this.

now on to some ways to work around this. what we do in film is, if we are shooting outside during the day then we obviously cant change the color of the sun, so we change every other light source to match the suns 5600k and balance the camera to 5600k (if you want pure white light, depends on what you want, photography is subjective). they sell bulbs that put out different kelvin temp.

this doesnt help you at all with trying to shoot a pure white building unless the people that own the building lets you change bulbs out.

shoots!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 AM
I guess what I'm trying to do is find a building with lighting that is close to the color output of my speedlights (although with the right gels I could theoretically match most common kelvin temperatures). Thanks for the chart Chad, I copied it down in my photo journal to keep as notes.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I remember taking pictures of our bikes at this cliff in Laie. It was close to the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
i was thinking in the middle of the street in the beginning of waipahu all the graffiti on the wall. i think that would be ku but thats my opinion.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Any Nikon shooter s on Oahu? I'm looking into getting a group together for "Strobist" meets for some creative experimentation with SB's (I have 2 SB-800's of my own)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spots for Photoshoots on Oahu, Hawaii