Hawaii Honolulu

Heading to Hawaii for a week. Suggestions on things to do/see/eat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Heading to Hawaii for a week. Suggestions on things to do/see/eat? **Updated Pics**

Hey guys and gals.... coming up this march , me and my girlfriend are going to hawaii for a week , to visit my sister who just had a baby. My sis is putting me up in a hotel for the weekend, and then i'm staying at her house the rest of the time i'm there....

so, my questions to the locals are....what are some suggestions for things to do, places to see, places to eat?? we'll be staying at the sheraton moana surfrider hotel on Waikiki Beach (is this a decent hotel?) ... i'll probably end up being a freakin tourist half the time, but i still can't wait.

http://www.moanasurfrider.com/index.htm

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Jon.

Last edited by DRAGMODE; 03-27-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't mean to sound rude, but how old are you and yours, what are your interests, and what kind of food you chow down?

the moana surfrider is a nice hotel. the location isn't bad either. it's absolute walking distance to the beaches, eateries, shopping, bus lines, clubs, etc.

i'm local!

Old 02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of food do you like?

Hawaiian - Ono's Hawaiian Food 726 Kapahulu Ave

Sushi - Sushi Masa 1200 Ala Moana Blvd (next to Paul Brown Beauty Salan which is located in the mall near boarders), Sasabune 1419 S King St, & Sushi Koh 255 Beach Walk # 1

Korean - Sorabol 805 Keeaumoku St, Honolulu, HI
(808) 947-3113

Garlic Restaurant - Ninniku Ya Garlic Restaurant - 3196 Waialae Ave, Honolulu, 96816 - (808) 735-0784

Buffet Prince Court Restaurant
100 Holomoana St, Honolulu, HI
(808) 956-1111

Shrimp Truck - It is called giovani's shrimp truck out in kahuku or north shore

If you need more just let me know and I can think of more restaurants

Old 02-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Japanese - Kyoya on Kalakaua (beginning of Waikiki), Katcho (waikiki)

Japanese buffet - Hakone (in Hawaii Prince Hotel waikiki)

Old 02-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by sen_jen
i don't mean to sound rude, but how old are you and yours, what are your interests, and what kind of food you chow down?

the moana surfrider is a nice hotel. the location isn't bad either. it's absolute walking distance to the beaches, eateries, shopping, bus lines, clubs, etc.

i'm local!
nah, not a rude question at all =)... i'm 29 and filipino, so I like to eat everything that could be considered "asian" and like trying new things all the time. I definitely want to take my sister and her husband out at least one night, to a nice dinner...and maybe hit the clubs or something, seeing as they haven't been out yet (my sister's been prego the whole time they've been there, they moved out there less than a year ago...) so they haven't been able to do the whole tourist thing either. As corny as it sounds, i'd like to take in the sites too just because it's such a beautiful place. Maybe jet ski, snorkel, hit up a bunch of beaches? but i'll be there for a week so i'll have plenty of time to have lunch at different places (hole in the wall, doesn't matter to me, they usually have the better food, hehe)

I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for places i should def. hit up. appreciate all the tips... 3 weeks and counting!!

Old 02-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
alright, i'll update this post when i get home on the clubscene, and nice eateries. the eateries listed above are definite must's.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:36 PM
One of the nicest places to eat at, is the Oceanarium at the Pacific Beach Hotel. The food is pretty good...get the snowcrabs!

If you're looking for filipino food, hang around Waipahu or Ewa Beach and follow your nose . I dont know any other places than Elenas Deli. You're better off just eating your grandmas cooking Tastes the same...why pay for it?

Ono's is IMO the best Hawaiian ethnic plate lunch place on the island. You better be there hungry...they give a lot. And the best IMO (again) local grinds is at Rainbows Drive in...both on Kapahulu Ave, on the outskirts of Waikiki. get the mixed plate if you dont know what to get. Kakaako Kitchen at the Victoria Ward Center got some flavorful foods. they make the BEST pastrami sandwich i've ever tasted. And their sweet chili chicken is to die for!

And there's the local and tourist favorite, shave ice. Everyone loves going to Mastsumotos in Haliewa. IDK why...they're ok, but the best shave ice is on the corner of Waiola St and Paani St...the Waiola Store. But if you wanna take a tour of the island, there would be no other better rest spot than Matsumotos.

If you wanna hear live island music and lounging around...Mai Tai's on the 3rd level of Ala Moana is your best bet.

There's a few others, like Cholos if you like mexican food. Kanekas, if you wanna try another taste of local food, Kuru Kuru sushi or Tokkuri Tei - my favorite - if you want cheap gut good sushi.

follow your nose.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Rainbows
Ruger Market
Leonard's (Malasadas !!!!)

Old 02-18-2006, 12:12 AM
gotta get zippy's chili and korean fried chicken, monarch's crab cakes, manapua/pork hash/half moon/and rice cake from that noodle factory place right by monarchs in kalihi, boneless chicken from richie's, breakfast special with garlic chicken from mitsu ken, any fish plate from en fuego's, pork adobo fried rice omlette from elena's, hawaiian plate with pipikaula at highway inn, chesseburger with french fries extra sauce from tasty freeze and much much more. sh*t, i'm hungry now......mcdonalds here i come (2 double cheeseburgers plain with bigmac sauce = $2.08).....cheap eats!

Old 02-18-2006, 12:30 AM
haha...how can we forget leonards?
screw McD's...Ted's Burgers!!
There's a small Thai restraunt on Nuuanu called Krung Thai...that place rocks! Along Bishop St, theres a greek restraurant there...I forgot the name, but their gyros are tangy good. And there's Aloha cheese steak on Hotel and Bishop. mmm...mmm..good.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:20 AM
liliha bakery- coco puffs!!!

Old 02-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by mdnt
Garlic Restaurant - Ninniku Ya Garlic Restaurant - 3196 Waialae Ave, Honolulu, 96816 - (808) 735-0784
i think they even have garlic ice cream
Originally Posted by G35TRex
liliha bakery- coco puffs!!!
good place to go for breakfast too (if you're lucky enough to get a spot at the counter)...

you should try the Beard Papa cream puffs

Moana Surfrider is nice-- you'll get to check out the Waikiki nightlife just don't take up anyone's offer to buy "pakalolo"

a lot of people ask us locals for the scoops-- to the point where, i've started to compile my recommendations... here ya go

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Oahu.doc (44.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 02-18-2006, 08:02 AM
haha, on my last trip to Cancun for my boy's bachelor party....no joke, we found a huge bag of "pakalolo" half way buried in the sand.... none of my friends wanted to take it, we thought it was a setup or something... so we just kinda watched to see who owned it...turned out a bunch of mexicans that were renting out boogie boards were selling it as well... good thing we didn't take it, or that trip would've taken a turn for the worse, haha..

THANK YOU for all the help guys, i really appreciate it. I have a surprise that will happen on this trip as well. (Let's just say my GF will be very happy, and i won't be able to get my twin turbo kit for the G for a long while now, hahaha) I'll print all your tips to take on my trip, and then update this thread with my pics.

thanks again, Jon.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
^ yeah, since the nightlife changes a lot here, just PM me with a contact number and i'll leave mine as well. that way, when you do arrive, i'll get the updated 411 to you.

good luckers!

Old 02-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What up guys! I was actually in HI my 1st time about 2 months ago! Let me tell you....I did not want to come back to the mainland (CA). Hahahaha....Maybe I can just give my 2 cents.
*I ate at Ono's and the food was good! A real locals spot.
*Haunama <-- spell check) Bay - that place is awesome for snorkeling. The view was seriously something you see from a movie!
*Did the whole Luau <-- spell check) and I recommend if you do go, just get the cheapest package. The more expensive package is just more drinks, which you can just purchase at the bar, and the seating is supposed to be better, but you still end up seeing the show from any seat. (I went to paradise cove.)
*I'm not sure what street it is....but I think it's called the "International marketplace, kind of like a swapmeet." Me and my chick walk up and down that street several times and just stopped by and ate at random places. Try eating at one of those japanese restaurants. The food the sooooooo good!
Well.....sorry this ended up being so long.
I can't wait to go back!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heading to Hawaii for a week. Suggestions on things to do/see/eat?