Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Test Pipes, Oil Use, CEL Lights, and O2 Sensor.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SFLG35
i dont think i have this problem.
but that could be due to the fact that i have an 03 which can run test pipes without throwing a cel light.

the cel light comes into play with people that have 04.5 and newer g's. this is because of the higher emissions on the car. i think its called ulev2 or something like that. where my car is a ulev1 so it doesnt have the problem.

it seems that this burning oil problem is all on newer g's. serengetti what year is your car. im goin to assume that its an 05 because the seregetti color wasnt available until then.
You are correct it is an 05

Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by DHCrocks
CEL is actually the SES (service engine soon) light in the dash, same thing.
Ah, things are clearing up now...

The CEL, or Check Engine Light, is implemented with the SES, or Service Engine Soon dash display that represents the Malfunction Indicator Lamp, or MLP, according to the Owners Guide.

Heck, I should have known that...

Old 06-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, in short, those that have Coupes before 04 have no need to order test pipes with bungs as the non foulers are not needed? Thanks for the post Jb.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Easein2itG
So, in short, those that have Coupes before 04 have no need to order test pipes with bungs as the non foulers are not needed? Thanks for the post Jb.

no all years need the O2 bungs, you need to install the O2 sensors regardless. If it's pre 04.5 then just don't need the non-foul adapter.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:13 AM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by SFLG35
it seems that this burning oil problem is all on newer g's. serengetti what year is your car. im goin to assume that its an 05 because the seregetti color wasnt available until then.
Dan, have you heard of anyone else having the test-pipe-oil-burning-problem problem other than these two recent instances?

Serengettisandg said his G35 is an '05, and our FGC friend has an '06.

Rick also has a '05, but I think his is a 350z. I know they are "virtually" the same. Just trying to put down some facts to see if we can figure out what's going on.

I know there is power in exhause gases. Back in the day, Bill Jenkins and some of the guys found that if you weld a slanted pipe with a slot cut in it (to act as a venturi) through a hole in the middle of a header collector, and plumb the other end to a valve cover, the suction created by the passing exhaust in the header would create a vacuum in the crankcase on the back side of the pistons, and that the motor would rev more freely. That worked and never caused a problem, however I used to change rings and re-hone the cylinders about every 80 runs (20 miles).

I'm sorry to say that I don't know enough about Infiniti's VQ35 to understand what is really happening internally. If I had a guess, it would be that the exhause gas speed, or maybe density, near the O2 sensor was causing the ECU to make some radical adjustment that resulted in excessive oil burning. For that much oil to go past the rings would seem to cause a loss in power. You would think that if the valve guide seals let the oil through, they would do it all the time. Dunno...

Old 06-02-2006, 12:16 AM
no all years need the O2 bungs, you need to install the O2 sensors regardless. If it's pre 04.5 then just don't need the non-foul adapter.
So I'm just reinstalling the O2 sensors that are currently on the OEM Cats? I'm only asking as I didn't see the sensors the last time I was under the car though I wasn't really looking for them before now. If that's not the case, where are the sensors getting wired back to and will it require a bung on each test pipe? Thanks

Last edited by Boston; 06-02-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Test pipes..............not!

Except for the cost is there a lot of diffrence between
the high-flow cats (legal) and the test pipes (not legal)? Since I live in Ca and will no doubt have a
smog check next year I will go with the h/f cats!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Except for the cost is there a lot of diffrence between
the high-flow cats (legal) and the test pipes (not legal)? Since I live in Ca and will no doubt have a
smog check next year I will go with the h/f cats!
Gary, hypothetically, if the test pipes were for off road use only, live in a state that does not conduct emissions or have the ability to replace OEM cats when needed, do the test pipes have an economical advantage over HF Cats? (All legal disclaimers to this question apply)

Old 06-02-2006, 12:38 AM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Serengettisandg
Motor isn't fubared. Like I said I was checking the dipstick besides noticing the blue oil smoke out the back. Dipstick would be full leaving my house, go for a nice drive around 200-300kms and come home. Let the car sit over night and come out and see the dipstick down at least half to a full quart. So no the cats are not scrubbing the oil out of the exhaust.

The dipstick now stays to the full line and has not dropped since I reinstalled the stock cats.
That sure seems like a good test. If it burned oil, and then you replaced the test pipes, and suddenly it stopped burning the oil... that would seem to be pretty conclusive to me.

Originally Posted by Serengettisandg
The dipstick now stays to the full line and has not dropped since I reinstalled the stock cats. And to prove to you I am not lying and the MREV is not the problem I will be putting the MREV back on as soon as I get back from the dealership next week. You can think my brother and dad are idiots all you want and installed something wrong, but I guarantee you they can work in a garage so I trust them not to install something wrong. My dad has been a certified mechanic for over 30 years.
When did you take the MRev off?

No one here is saying anything bad about your Dad or Brother. Trust me on that. It's very hard to discuss things like this in a written forum because no one can see your facial expression or know when someone is kidding. It's way to easy to draw the wrong conclusion. That's why emoticons like were invented, but they don't always work.

None of us in this thread know why a couple of cars are experiencing this oil burning problem that seems to come from test pipes. We're all just guessing. Hopefully someone will make a really good guess and we can identify the problem. Then we'll all learn something.

I have a vested interest because I'm thinking about getting a set of test pipes and I have an '05 Coupe. I'd like to find out what's happening before... oh... say... June 11th or so...

Old 06-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Easein2itG
So I'm just reinstalling the O2 sensors that are currently on the OEM Cats? I'm only asking as I didn't see the sensors the last time I was under the car though I wasn't really looking for them before now. If that's not the case, where are the sensors getting wired back to and will it require a bung on each test pipe? Thanks
yes reuse the stock O2 sensors, they are on the cats.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:46 AM
some cars have also oil burning while stock so it could be just one of those...just luck of the draw. could possibly that changing the oil had something to do with it to, so many variables.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:49 AM
yes reuse the stock O2 sensors, they are on the cats.
Thanks Much!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by _jb
That sure seems like a good test. If it burned oil, and then you replaced the test pipes, and suddenly it stopped burning the oil... that would seem to be pretty conclusive to me.

When did you take the MRev off?

No one here is saying anything bad about your Dad or Brother. Trust me on that. It's very hard to discuss things like this in a written forum because no one can see your facial expression or know when someone is kidding. It's way to easy to draw the wrong conclusion. That's why emoticons like were invented, but they don't always work.

None of us in this thread know why a couple of cars are experiencing this oil burning problem that seems to come from test pipes. We're all just guessing. Hopefully someone will make a really good guess and we can identify the problem. Then we'll all learn something.

I have a vested interest because I'm thinking about getting a set of test pipes and I have an '05 Coupe. I'd like to find out what's happening before... oh... say... June 11th or so...

We removed the MREV as we were removing the test pipes and reinstalling the cats. I was just trying to point out you can rule out inproper installation as stuff was done correctly . I am bringing this out into the open and trying to be honest to hopefully save someone a motor. Hell I know a lot of people do not check their own oil or change it and if they were to wait 500kms(in my case) you would have had zero oil left and been out a motor.

In my honesty opinion I think the oil is being pulled through the PCV valve and into the lower intake manifold. For the amount I was burning that is the only thing I can think of. That line off the PCV valve is large enough to let a good amount of oil suck through. Unless someone knows something about the crankcase pressure and oil control rings in this motor and wants to chime in.

Who ever mentioned a bad valve seal you are correct. If a valve seal was bad you would have a motor that was constantly puffing blue smoke out the tail pipe. Like those old **** box civics you see with a nice blue trail of smoke

Old 06-02-2006, 12:53 AM
_jb
Photographer

some cars have also oil burning while stock so it could be just one of those...just luck of the draw. could possibly that changing the oil had something to do with it to, so many variables.
I understand that someone could have a lemon, but that doesn't explain how removing the test pipes could un-lemon it.

I don't see how changing the oil could resolve this issue, unless the original oil was the wrong viscosity or someone forgot to put the oil in, or... who knows.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:01 AM
maybe a different viscosity was used, maybe the old oil broke down due age and use who knows. Sounds like you changed 3 things and your oil consumption went away. it could be the test pipe, it could be something else, it could be a combination of all three. just saying that test pipes don't automatically lead to oil consumption. A lot of people are running them with no problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Pipes, Oil Use, CEL Lights, and O2 Sensor.