Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

aem cold air intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aem cold air intake

Does anyone know if the aem cold air intake is very good. I was getting k&n but they said they quit making them so i need to find a new one. I was thinking about injen but they dont have one of those for a manual coupe so aem is probably what im gonna get unless it sux.
Thanks

Old 06-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm pretty sure that Injen's CAI works on the manual - do a search and you'll find a ton of people that have it. You may want to start here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...Stillen+intake

It's a debate between Stillen CAI and Injen CAI owners on which is better. Take a look at their signatures and see if you can find anyone with a 6MT.

I've read some bad reviews on the AEM CAI (which is also the NISMO CAI), but then again I've also read some positive reviews. One thing people seem to like is that the Injen/NISMO CAI comes with a water bypass valve standard, which helps to alleviate the concern over hydrolocking. I believe that Injen does not, but can be retrofitted with a water bypass valve from AEM for extra cost.

There are some tests out there that tend to indicate that the Stillen HFA ***slightly*** outperforms the traditional CAIs from AEM/Injen, but none of them seem to make outstanding gains in power. Personally I like the looks of the NISMO CAI better, though I'm torn between it and the Stillen right now.

Search the forum. There are literally hundreds of threads on intakes, many written by people who've owned both kinds. You're probably not going to find many experienced users who are willing to repeat previously posted materials for the thousandth time in your thread. I just thought I'd provide you an intro summary, but you're going to need more advanced info before you buy.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I would like to hear or be linked to a thread where somone has tried more than one.

The key to really seeing if they work is to do back to back 1/4 mile runs. NOT stupid Dyno runs.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried the AEM, Injen, and Pop Charger/Z-tube.

All three performed equally. The only difference between the AEM/Injen and the Pop Charger/Z-tube is that you cannot here the Pop Charger/Z-tube sucking the air very much. AEM/Injen look a lot nicer too. Nothing wron with the AEM though!

Old 06-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Several tuners I've talked to say the long tube CAIs don't perform as well as shorter intakes like the Stillen, OEM, and JWT setups, particularly at higher rpm. Both the Stillen and OEM setup (which really isn't that bad) isolate the intake from the engine compartment.

Whatever you get, no intake is going to make a significant performance difference.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:02 PM
THE BATMOBILE
search it..........ive read endless threads about AEM yeilding no gain whatso ever........i would go with injen or stillen.........pm jnkirk1977 for more details about AEM

Old 06-03-2006, 09:53 PM
When you install the cold air intake the most your going to get is a cool noise and your engine may randomly die on the highway (very common do searches). The stock air box is about as good as a panel intake as you get because its ducted from the grill; unlike most cars.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i have the aem cai and i like it and havent had any problems with it.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:22 AM
I like this thread, it is very informative. Thank you everyone for your wisdom on this subject.

I have recently bought a 6mt G35 sedan and I like the looks of the Nismo Intake. Any words of advice on whether to buy it or get some thing better in terms of actual gains rather than just the intake noise....?

Old 06-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Most intake mods (AEM, Ijen, z-tube/popcharger) yield roughly the same gain in hp (+or- 1-2 hp). Some say they have even seen losses in adding a CAI. I, personally, just sold my INJEN CAI for a z-tube/K&N filter/stock air box setup. I can't really feel any difference but I can hear it. The sound from the z-tube combo suits my tastes better than the "sucking air" sound I got from the CAI. It also comes down to price. My IJEN CAI was around $240. My z-tube setup was around $130. I honestly can't tell the difference in the 'ol butt dyno. But then again, can you really feel an increase of 3-6 hp? Not really. Depending on the weather conditions, you may lose that daily. But if you plan on adding more mods, than they might add up to something you can feel. When I put my spacer on, I swear I could feel that. Now the difference in the sound, that made it worth the swap

Old 06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I've been debating between the Nismo CAI, Stillen airbox, and stock Z-tube/K&N set-ups, and I'm leaning towards the Nismo setup for the looks also. The power gains/losses seem negligible between the systems, but I hadn't considered whether the sucking sounds might be weird. Anybody got any more information on the differences in sound? Maybe sound clips of both? I'd hate to go through all the trouble of installing a CAI only to have to undo it for the other set-up.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Injen cold air intake

crap!!! i just ordered the Injen set up for my 05 coupe auto. did i screw up? sounds like all the info on this thread is very usefull but inconclusive. don't know what to do, i just spent 270.00 on it but now i'm thinking i should've gone with the Stillen set-up. ideas?

Old 06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
It doesn't really matter which CAI you go with they all basically yield similar gains +/- 1 or 2 hp. The main difference is looks. If you want something to look and sound cool go with Injen, AEM, or Nismo. If you want strickly performance try Stillen or something.

Injen however makes 2 different CAI's one for 5AT and one for 6MT. There have been instances where if you put a 5AT CAI on a 6MT G35, stalling may occur at idle or at neutral.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:41 AM
really informative thread so i wanted to post question

im posting my question here because u guys are real informative and the subject was mentioned here...i want to get a plenum spacer...everyone notices good gains...im not too experienced with cars yet so my questions may be silly....which plenum spacer should i go for? what do u look for when getting a plenum spacer? also whats the difference between an upper and lower plenum spacer? should i get both done? also i saw a crazy plenum spacer but its made specifically for the 05 and up g35's because of the new "REVUP" engine...that one had gains of 15-18....well my g35 is 04 so that really wouldnt go with my standard block would it? i saw another plenum spacer (same brand) designed for the 04's and it had less gains 10-12...im just curious cause i know everyone says they notice differences with this piece so i want to try to get the best one to get the most out of it since i wont be spending money on a CAI (people keep saying its not worth getting) aight any help would be appreciated, thanks

Old 06-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Do a search, I did a comparison of the AEM and Stillen intake w/dyno results. Long story short, they both came out the same.

I strongly recommend the Stillen. I had an AEM at first, but the Chicago winter killed the filter. So if you live in an area that gets snow, don't get a CAI (unless its an Injen or K&N, those can be converted to short ram).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aem cold air intake