Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Is rattle same as rasp? I have a tin rattle when I accelerate.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good stuff here. I'm glad (or maybe sorry???) other people have experienced it / know what I'm talking about.

G35_TX, it's definitely not from the engine cuz I hear it behind me...

Here's a summary of details:
- Only at WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear at about 2500-3000 rpm the rattle comes
- When not in gear and I floor it, i hear no such noise...only the smooth rumble
- I am running kinetix HF cats and topspeed headers but with stock catback
- Getting my HKS Hi Power next week we'll see how it is after I put it on.

I wonder, will a regular car mechanic have a lift that allows someone to go in the car and engage gear while lifted? Like a dyno i guess....it's the only way to tell for sure what the heck is happening. Any other suggestions?

Rick thanks for clarifying the resonated pipes.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
I will say that I have also heard the VQ35 make this sound. BEE's in the CAN and its definitely not caused by the pipes. It's coming from the engine itself.

The ypipes on the Maximas replace the cats/flex pipes and they use to not even have a flex pipe in them. All it was is SS piping and nothing else to create this noise. It is possible this noise is what the Maximas had.
I have the y-pipe installed on my 99 Max. I never got the "bees-in-a-can" sound. I attribute the lack of the "bees" to my free flow GReddy cat-back.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Premier Member

Okay if its behind you then yea its not that. I heard that from below to in front of me with the Bee's in the can. Check the shields..

Old 06-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by machavez702
I have the y-pipe installed on my 99 Max. I never got the "bees-in-a-can" sound. I attribute the lack of the "bees" to my free flow GReddy cat-back.
On the early Ypipes they had this problem. The later ones Cattman and a few others fixed the issue with different materials to help insulate the noise.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
On the early Ypipes they had this problem. The later ones Cattman and a few others fixed the issue with different materials to help insulate the noise.
I bought the Stillen unit, supposedly the infamous bees-in-the-can y-pipe. I'll still think that the HF cats or race/test pipes are just letting way more air through than the stock cat-back can handle. The stock cats act as disrupters and the stock cat-back can keep with that.

To look at it another way, a common setup would include a HF intake, plenum spacer, and possibly HF headers in addition to HF cats or test pipes exiting through a stock cat-back. You now have the equivalent of a party favor. Tons of air can go in but it's bottlenecked at the cat-back restricts the out flow and you get a funny noise to boot.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The sound the VQ30/35 Maxima's had was what I called a metallic ringing. It sounded like a faint metallic rattle that was emitted from the muffler. My setup at the time was an aftermarket y-pipe, aftermarket midpipe (no resonator, stock had a resonator), and a stock muffler. For whatever reason, it never occured to me that the noise started after installation of aftermarket midpipe. I was convinced the sound couldn't be coming from midpipe because it was just a piece of bent pipe. I figured the stock 8 y/o muffler had finally broken an internal weld and it was rattling. I bought a 4 year newer used muffler and to my surprise, the noise was still there!!! On a whim, I threw the stock midpipe back on the noise was gone. The ringing wasn't caused by the aftermarket y-pipe because numerous Maxima owners with and without Y-pipes reported the same ringing after adding non-resonated midpipes. After talking with a speed shop owner and prior lead tech at ATI Procharger, he was convinced the sound was caused by the V6 layout and firing order of the motor. A similiar sound eminates from modified 3800 series V6 GM vehicles.

The sound that G35_TX is talking about is the infamous "bees in the can" sound as air passes through the unlined flex sections of the Maxima aftermarket y-pipe. This sound was somewhat remedied by adding lined flex sections. Over the course of ownership, I add two different aftermarket y-pipes on my Maxima. One had unlined flex sections and the other had lined ones plus it used heavier and thick guage piping. That y-pipe was significantly quieter, it still had a sweet little hiss that occured above 5000rpms under heavy load. It sounded much like a small turbo hiss.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Again - ALL? Have you used a micrometer on EVERY aftermarket exhaust system against stock piping to verify this statement as the fact you are stating?

Stock piping is basically 16 gauge - though metric, actually closer to 15 gauge. Many aftermarket systems use 14-16 gauge stainless, compared to aluminized piping, which is actually higher quality and better at sound conditioning and pulse absorption. Only the extra light system use 18 gauge - and the drone and noise come from the cheap muffler.
It's just not the gauge, it's the steel content of the piping. I should have made that point previously. You know as well as I that Nissan uses a very heavy and relatively thick low grade stainless steal on their OEM catbacks and mufflers. This dense piping along with the OEM heat shields and insulation batting act as heat insulator and noise suppressor.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by machavez702
I installed race pipes with a stock exhaust on my sedan and all kinds of "tinny" rattles showed up. Here's what was happening... The pipes were unobstructed to the flex pipe causing it to balloon. The threads were bouncing off each other as air was escaping. I could only hear it at 3000-4000 rpms. It sounded horrible. I have sine removed them until I get my cat back installed. I rattling from the exhaust tips. There were more but I couldn't isolate them and I figured I'd just wait until the cat-back came in. I would guess that the HF cats would present the same problems for you, though I'm not sure if all Gs have a flex section. Bottom line, I think you're free flowing more than your stock cat-back exhaust can handle.
Mike, I warned you about getting those test pipes...

Old 07-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Most of the rattels are gone now that I have the cat-back. I can har a few things bouncing (6k range) but I only have about 8 miles on it now. The car just sounds totally pissed off now. It's louder than I wanted but I can get used to it. It will attract more attention than I was anticipating. It's "temporary" until I go FI next year hehehe.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:36 PM
UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for responding to my initial request. Since installing my HKS Hi Power, I no longer get any rattle. I guess it was because of the stock muffler and not the HF cats or kinetix headers. Now, all i get is throaty RUMBLE like you woulnd't believe. Pretty sweet.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:58 AM
It's probably not from the muffler but from the single, small diameter stock tubing. This was my contention all along, high flow up to the stock exhaust causes lots of rebounding notes that are typically explained as rattles from shields or busted cats. It should be noted on all info for headers & high flow systems that a high flow cat-back is a requirement.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:27 PM
RPL
Sorry to dig this up from the grave but has anyone tried to put a reducer on the end of a 3'' y-pipe to eliminate rasp?