Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Who's got test pipes w/o rasp......which brand combo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Fast Intentions exhaust including TP's and have no rasp at all. Not sure if the mixed set up you have would cause the rasp. Email or call Tony and he might be able to provide the answer. I specifically bought the Fast Intention exhaust after hearing it so I wouldn't have the rasp and I'm happy to report, no rasp!

Old 08-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the HKS exhaust. I had the Crawford High-Flow cats for almost about a year. There was no rasp at all. About 2 weeks ago, I replaced them for the resonated Fast Intentions test pipes. I went with their test pipes hoping there would be no rasp...well, I got my hopes up. There is rasp from about 3200rpms-4000rpms. It's not overwhelming, but the smell of the exhaust is. But I have to admit...the test pipes made my G sound like even more of a beast. Overall, I'm happy I changed them out.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 AM
We've got them all day long man!

Fast Intentions Resonated test pipes with our Intimidator Exhaust...GREAT combo!! Our CATS are top notch too and give the4 car a more Euro sound as well. Search and listen and read the reviews.

Rick

Old 08-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by bb319675
Thanks Rick, just like to learn about all my options b4 spending more $$. Feeling guilty already. haha
The Stillen system will be your cause. The X-Pipe is not the most efficient and they have Magnaflow build their mufflers, but they are not done very well. The 8" resonators are pretty useless too. We hear more bad things about Stillens' exhaust than any. It was the first I ever put on my car...it lasted 4 days....

Rick

Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't be killin' the Stillen

Old 11-28-2006, 09:55 AM
I have the Stillen Gen 1 with the Kinetix resonated and it was VERY raspy and LOUD. I changed out the front resonators with 2 1/4" 30" long true Magnaflow mufflers and it toned down a ton.

But still had the 3200-3500 rasp. I TIGHTLY wrapped the testpipes and the x-pipe section with thermal header wrap, then a 2nd layer of 2"wide Nomex tape and it is nice and quiet now. The key is to damp the resonance (ringing/buzzing) created from the gas flow in the piping. If they made a 2000 degree Dynamat, that would be the ultimate.

This was a stop gap measure and it worked without having to buy another exhaust. If you are just starting out, get the FI exhaust from the getgo and you will be fine. However, nothing wrong with wrapping the exhaust up front anyway since it will improve velocities (low RPM torque) in any case.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
I have F.I. RTPs with my GReddy EVO2 system and it's pretty raspy around 3500 too. Outside that range, it sounds awesome though! Where can I get this thermal header wrap you speak of? If that can tone down the rasp even a LITTLE, it's probably worth doing...

Old 11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by C_Lawd
I have F.I. RTPs with my GReddy EVO2 system and it's pretty raspy around 3500 too. Outside that range, it sounds awesome though! Where can I get this thermal header wrap you speak of? If that can tone down the rasp even a LITTLE, it's probably worth doing...
Most autoparts stores that have performance section will have it. If not, you can order it here http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...13943_-1_10261

If you do it, make sure you wrap it tight. I mean really stretch it so that it is in close contact to the pipe. That way the vibe energy (rasp) is transfered into the fabric. If it's loose, it will just muffle it. Get some 2-3" hose clamps for each end and secure them. You will be surprised how much it helps. I can barely hear any rasp at all anymore.

If you went the next step and put in some Dynamat under the carpet for road noise, I doubt you would hear anything.

Attached Thumbnails Who's got test pipes w/o rasp......which brand combo-wrap1.jpg   Who's got test pipes w/o rasp......which brand combo-wrap2.jpg   Who's got test pipes w/o rasp......which brand combo-wrap3.jpg  
Old 11-28-2006, 07:20 PM
i just put on motordyne 5/16 spacer and F.I. tp yesterday and today running with my borla true duals and from what i can tell right now there is not much or not at all rasp. this is also because the only thing i can hear is a da** exaust leak in the H pipe which i am taking care of tomorrow, i dont really care for the clamps that much on this exhaust sounds good but im considering selling and getting something else, something to sound good with my tp and stuff would be great

Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Does everybody have "rasp" with aftermarket catalytic converters?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:41 AM
bb319675 what kind of power did u gain with the utec and tune?? also i have tp and stillen ..raspy as hell .. sounds good under wide open.. put cruising its really raspyyy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who's got test pipes w/o rasp......which brand combo