Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Any Cure for Raspy Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
Any Cure for Raspy Exhaust?

I got the Invidia g200. Just put on some Labree resonated test pipes. It's raspy as expected around 3K rpm. After that, i think it's just loud enough to not hear the rasp. Any cure for this? I was thinking about getting an extra resonator welded onto each pipe to muffler the sound and reduce or eliminate the rasp. I did this on my old accord with the Greddy Evo, I had bought used from a wreck. When I got a custom straight mid-pipe on it, it was raspy but once I threw a resonator in the middle, it was perfect. Any comment on this? I doubt the resonator would impeed too much flow but it's a concern. I'd like to hear some feedback since I'm sure many have TP's on this board.

~Khoa

Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
you got test pipes..what did you expect lol

most test pipes, even with resonators, are notorious for raspiness

though i have heard the best test pipes for minimal to no rasp are the fast intentions ones

Old 09-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
you got test pipes..what did you expect lol

most test pipes, even with resonators, are notorious for raspiness

though i have heard the best test pipes for minimal to no rasp are the fast intentions ones

Thanks for the reply but you merely confirmed what i already stated w/o adding any additional fact or recomendation. not trying to be a smarta$$ but i clearly stated that the rasp was expected and was seeking comment regarding adding additional resontator to my g200.

~Khoa

Old 09-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ratm68
Thanks for the reply but you merely confirmed what i already stated w/o adding any additional fact or recomendation. not trying to be a smarta$$ but i clearly stated that the rasp was expected and was seeking comment regarding adding additional resontator to my g200.

~Khoa
The additional resonator is likely going to do nothing. It will slow the exhaust flow a bit, but probably not enough to gain any back pressure to cancel the rasp out at all.

The key to no rasp with Resonated testpipes is/are quality mufflers with the system - hence a higher quality exhaust system designed to be used with testpipes if so desired.

There isn't much you can do other than continue to add other pieces to the system and choke it enough to work - but after you spend that money, it'll be too quiet or not perform the way you want it to or the way it did.

Is the the first exhaust you have put on your car? Many people put on 3-4 exhausts before they find the right one or just give up and settle back to stock, or the last choice they made.

Best bet is to listen to others that don't rasp and sound the way you want your to...then duplicate it.

I can of course recommend a favorite of mine but I'm biased here...

Rick

Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
The additional resonator is likely going to do nothing. It will slow the exhaust flow a bit, but probably not enough to gain any back pressure to cancel the rasp out at all.

The key to no rasp with Resonated testpipes is/are quality mufflers with the system - hence a higher quality exhaust system designed to be used with testpipes if so desired.

There isn't much you can do other than continue to add other pieces to the system and choke it enough to work - but after you spend that money, it'll be too quiet or not perform the way you want it to or the way it did.

Is the the first exhaust you have put on your car? Many people put on 3-4 exhausts before they find the right one or just give up and settle back to stock, or the last choice they made.

Best bet is to listen to others that don't rasp and sound the way you want your to...then duplicate it.

I can of course recommend a favorite of mine but I'm biased here...

Rick
Thanks Rick, for answer an exhaust question w/o directly promoting FI's product..as you guys often do on other exhaust questions. A member on my350z solved his problem by using an resonated x-pipe similar to the one you guys have on your FI exhaust system. I already have an x-pipe but it's not resonated, so i feel the only think i'm missing, is that additional resonation. The original Invidia came with resonation in the mid-pipe but they later took that out. Adding a resonator solved my problem on my accord with a Greddy Evo (rear section only). I duplicated the original exhaust by adding the missing resonator and the rasp was gone. I'm still debating but thanks for the input!! I love the g200 for it's look and got a good price on it. So it's more pratical to solve the problem rather than get a new exhaust.

~Khoa

Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
i installed a magnaflow 22" resonator and deleted all my rasp

Old 09-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Khoa,

Believe it or not, I have a bit of rasp with my F.I. resonated TPs!
I'm looking for a cure as well. I have the Greddy EVO2, which already has a resonated X-pipe (at least I believe it's resonated), so I'm not sure if the Magnaflow solution will do anything for me in this case.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by C_Lawd
Khoa,

I'm looking for a cure as well. I have the Greddy EVO2, which already has a resonated X-pipe (at least I believe it's resonated), so I'm not sure if the Magnaflow solution will do anything for me in this case.

Any thoughts?
I don't recall the Evo2 x-pipe layout, but i don't recall any of them containing a resonated x-pipe other than FI's x-pipe. I'm no exhaust expert but i think any additional resonator will help with the rasp. It will add additional muffling to the current exhaust. I think i might get the resonator done. I'll keep an update.

~Khoa

Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
I just got off the phone with a guy at GREDDY PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS, EAST. He stated the x-pipe is in fact resonated, but does that mean the Magnaflow won't be any better? I won't know until I bolt it on. My next question is will it even fit on the Greddy...

Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by C_Lawd
Khoa,

Any thoughts?
I'm not familiar with the EVO2 perforated X - but magnaflow has a few options and sizes as well. Ideally of course, your adding another step of filtration and resonance tuning, so it should work. It just depends on how good or well packed the EVO X is in comparison.

Rick

Old 09-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by da mayor
i installed a magnaflow 22" resonator and deleted all my rasp
It should have - it is long enough to re-tune the pulse dynamics...Rick

Old 09-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Just got back from exhaust shop, no room to fit the 20" resonator they stock. Either find smaller ones, which are are hard to come by or do the Magnaflow x-muffler. I think that x-muffler would directly replace my current X-pipe nicely and should have plenty of clearance room. Found a vendor that sells it for $75 shipped, not bad.

~Khoa

Old 09-12-2006, 03:45 PM
LEK
That Guy

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ratm68
Just got back from exhaust shop, no room to fit the 20" resonator they stock. Either find smaller ones, which are are hard to come by or do the Magnaflow x-muffler. I think that x-muffler would directly replace my current X-pipe nicely and should have plenty of clearance room. Found a vendor that sells it for $75 shipped, not bad.

~Khoa
i like the way your exhaust sounds right now.... dont change it.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Put the cats back on. It's not a 5.0 Mustang.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any Cure for Raspy Exhaust?