Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

waste of money?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by techi13
now, we put on an aftermarket intake (lets just say a pop charger) on both cars 1 and 2
and we dyno both cars again right after the other...

(now read carefully cus this is what i've been trying to say the whole freakin time)

CAR #1 would pull something like 236/237 hps (an increase of 1-2 hps)
CAR #2 would pull something like 280/285 hps (an increase of 5-10 hps)

the same intake will generate more hps when used in a combination with exhaust mods
An intake on a Z/G/FX will not yield those kinds of numbers, even with all the additional mods you listed. The intake openings and airbox size is MORE than enough to flow the air needed for all the mods you listed. The restriction is not in the intake box or snorkels. It's primarily in the intake manifold, heads, and somewhat the headers.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the input...

but first of all, i specifically stated that those are hypothetical numbers only to get my point across

and the point that i'm trying to make is an intake with produce more hps when used with other exhaust mods, rather than just the intake by itself

thats it...this discussion has nothing to with bottlenecks, "waking up monsters" or specific gains from an intake

Last edited by techi13; 09-23-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
thanks for the input...

but first of all, i specifically stated that those are hypothetical numbers only to get my point across

and the point that i'm trying to make is an intake with produce more hps when used with other exhaust mods, rather than just the intake by itself

thats it...this discussion has nothing to with bottlenecks, "waking up monsters" or specific gains from an intake
You missed my point. The stock intake isn't a restriction. Opening up the exhaust doesn't require opening up the stock intake because the intake can already meet the demands of NA mods.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:56 PM
i'm sure it's gonna sound ****in sweet!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 01:26 AM
i understand your point...but what does that have to do with anything me and athen was discussing?

or were you just making a off topic statement?

Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
You missed my point. The stock intake isn't a restriction. Opening up the exhaust doesn't require opening up the stock intake because the intake can already meet the demands of NA mods.
This has been what I'm telling you all along.

i understand your point...but what does that have to do with anything me and athen was discussing?

or were you just making a off topic statement?

Last edited by FI'ed G; 09-24-2006 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:32 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-25-2006, 04:22 PM
/\ I've seen that...

Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB

Not true. If you have a MD spacer/Mrev kit the stock intake will restrict the full hp gains of that system. It did on mine and after the Stillen was added it showed the full gains that the MREV should get. My car never gained the full amount from the mrev kit due to the stock intake being restrictive.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by AthenG
By the way, did you ever did the math on you bolt-on vs FI route? coz you seem to know so much about it.

on stillen's site the kit is only $5,228
+ 800 - 1000 install so that's around $6,300 + Hood (i think $300 )= $6,500 ? Install should be easy coz no tuning required so you can save 1G if you do it yourself.
I don't know about those figures for the FI set-up. I investigated going FI about six months ago and I think the final figure I came up with was around 10K to do a Stillen Stage 2 along with all the recommended/required mods (gauge cluster, chip, beefier engine internals, etc.) I think the hood worked out to the better part of a $1000. I think Stillen's website was selling it for ~$600 unpainted, so add a few more $$$ for that + shipping. I know you can save yourself a lot of money by doing the install yourself, but I doubt that most people going FI have the knowledge/experience to do it by themselves. $10K seems more reasonable for your average Joe.

By contrast, many of the bolt-ons that people on this board have bought can be installed by a novice or intermediate owner. So while they may not make as much raw power as FI, they do provide fun ways to improve the car yourself at relatively low cost.

Just a thought from a guy with zero mods so far.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by vt_maverick
I investigated going FI about six months ago and I think the final figure I came up with was around 10K to do a Stillen Stage 2 along with all the recommended/required mods (gauge cluster, chip, beefier engine internals, etc.) I think the hood worked out to the better part of a $1000. I think Stillen's website was selling it for ~$600 unpainted, so add a few more $$$ for that + shipping. I know you can save yourself a lot of money by doing the install yourself, but I doubt that most people going FI have the knowledge/experience to do it by themselves. $10K seems more reasonable for your average Joe.
First, sorry for bringing this up since this is out of topic.
1. We don't use a Chip,
2. Stillen uses an SS box (Included with the kit) and it is lock and not tunable. this is why it is a real plug-play FI system you can get.
3. You don't need to upgrade the internal because Stillen SC don't produce big power. I used the Stillen Stage 2 because with this you can add an engine warranty around $250.
3. Don't you think you'll pay shipping for every time you order NA parts online?
4. If you think installing a Crawford headers is a piece of cake then installing a Root type blower(Stillen) will be a easy.
5. Ask any one who went NA and after everything is said and done FI will always be cheaper when you look at $$ to power ratio.
6. If you want cheaper then Vortech will be the way to go coz you don't need a new hood and it cheaper than Stillen.

10K for Stillen Stage 2 is really alot.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
i bet if you add about 20 stickers to your car you could get 20+ hp =]... you know how fast and the furious **** is...the more stickers the more hp you get

Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Good info - like I said those were my general impressions from some reading a long time ago. Couple points though:

3. Don't you think you'll pay shipping for every time you order NA parts online?
Obviously the shipping cost exists for both types of mods. Just throwing it out there as another cost. Besides, I can't imagine shipping costs are the same for a $5K+ FI kit as a Z-tube or CAI.

4. If you think installing a Crawford headers is a piece of cake then installing a Root type blower(Stillen) will be a easy.
Please read more carefully:
By contrast, many of the bolt-ons that people on this board have bought can be installed by a novice or intermediate owner
That's right, "many" does not mean "all."

5. Ask any one who went NA and after everything is said and done FI will always be cheaper when you look at $$ to power ratio.
Again, please re-read:
By contrast, many of the bolt-ons that people on this board have bought can be installed by a novice or intermediate owner. So while they may not make as much raw power as FI, they do provide fun ways to improve the car yourself at relatively low cost.
There's nothing in there about $$ to power ratio. I even pointed out that FI will always make more power than NA mods. I did not say that NA mods were cheaper and more effective. They're just individually cheaper than going FI. I suppose if someone is obsessed enough to buy every NA mod out there, then yeah, they'd be an idiot.

I'd love to go FI, but I just don't have that kind of money, at least not in one place at one time. So for now, (mild) performance and appearance mods are a nice way to compliment the base car. Get off the FI-preaching, NA mod trashing high horse.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:16 PM
/\ I could care less if you go FI or not. I just want to point out that your research is flawed. FI is not for everyone and I have no intention to preach or bash NA mod. I'm just giving people option because a lot of Newbs (Been There Done That) wasted lot's of NA Mod and in the end went FI. All I'm trying to say is that know your goals and you'll save more $$ in the end.

They're just individually cheaper than going FI. I suppose if someone is obsessed enough to buy every NA mod out there, then yeah, they'd be an idiot.
Have you seen how many people buy useless stuff that think that it will make a difference?

Enjoy.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
I just want to point out that your research is flawed.
I think I admitted that possibility at the end of my first post, as well as at the beginning of my last post. No need to belabor that point.

So let's say I intend to go FI in the future, but in the meantime I'd like to add a few things while I save up the requisite X thousand dollars. What NA mods would also be valuable with an FI set-up?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: waste of money?