Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Fundamental exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^I was referring to the knowledge that you want me to 'trust' you have. You posted twice in this thread before I bashed you. Both posts failed to answer the questions. And the second post criticized me for pushing questions that were never answered... Yea, I have been keeping track of this thread. Apparently, I failed to realize that people dont read thoroughly before attempting to answer questions.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
chris, you cant live life asking why all the time. otherwise youll never get anywyere. some things you just have to accept for what they are. (im trying to sound deep, is it working? ) hahahaha

btw, paul..wanna do a quick photochop for me?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:42 AM
LOL calvin... Yea, some things arent as important as others. This part serves a very important function, but apparently no one (besides ISM) knows anything about it. They just know the basics, a few basic concepts and the info supplied by exhaust companies. With something as important as this (and somewhat costly with some systems), wouldnt you want to know how and why it works the way it does?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Overglorified Altima
nope. i believe everything i read. especially if its on the internet, then it must be right! duh. i thought you of all people would know that, sheesh. nismo exhaust will give you 1000whp b/c its nismo, duh

Old 10-04-2006, 01:54 AM
^seriously? sweet! I'm putting one on my bike.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Overglorified Altima
^^hahahaha still sportin that tricycle around, eh? "crayon boy"

Old 10-04-2006, 01:56 AM
^yea... its faster than my wagon...

Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Overglorified Altima
maybe you should put a nismo exhaust on that too..

lol maybe we should get this thread back on topic...hahaha

Old 10-04-2006, 02:09 AM
^theres no room... too many turbonators...

anyways... if anyone has any info to add to this topic, its always welcome. Just be sure you understand the questions that were asked...

Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS,
Ahhh... I see a little bit if salesmanship here If you're asked a question you dont know, give a totally different answer that just a little bit off from the original question. Most of the time, you fool the person, and they wont ask again. Now if they realize that you didnt answer their question, BS BS BS!

ISMSOLUTIONS, no worries... I understand. Its part of being a salesman, and a business man

Clean G 4D: What makes a duck a duck, and a chicken a chicken?
ISMSOLUTIONS: Oh, thats an easy one. Come to my website where I sell ducks and chickens. You can buy them at a discount.
Clean G 4D: Thanks, but that doesnt quite answer my question. I just wanted to know what it is that makes a duck a duck and a chicken a chicken... and why one is better than the other.
ISMSOLUTIONS: AHHH... question too hard. And by the way - your a DUCK...oops I spelled that wrong!!!

smooooooooth

Hes asking to learn about the fundamentals of exhausts... not the fundamentals of bullsh*ting your way out and dodging a direct and simple quesion.

Last edited by Silverbolt; 10-04-2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Overglorified Altima
^^paul, wtf

lol you, sir, are an interesting character..hahaha

Old 10-04-2006, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Additionally -

The reason you go duals is because the a single extra large pipe will slow the exhaust pulse down too much and allow the exhaust to cool as it flows, thereby reducing effectiveness as the vacuum effect will be lost.

Duals allow the exhaust to flow at the proper rate, when tuned correctly, and maintain most of it's temperature all the way to the tailpipes - keeping and enhancing the vacuum effect.
I see what you're trying to say, but I see some flaws. Why cant a proper single exhaust be tuned to work as efficient as a dual? You say that the exaust pulse will slow down, but if it was tuned to pulse identical to a dual, it should actually perform better because a single pipe actually has less surface area than a dual pipe that has the exact volume.

Example 1:

You have two ice cubes. You drop one in a cup of water. Take the other one and crush it to little peaces and drop it into another cup of water. The one with the crushed ice will cool alot faster because you increased surface area of the ice, while still having the same volume.

Example 2:

Eating candy; having it whole and not chewing it will only allow it to disolve the surface. If you chew it, you still have the outer surface, but now have the additional cracked peices and additional surfaces to disolve. Thats why we taste more when we chew up our candy/food.

With that being said. If the pulse in a single can be tuned to be identical to any properly tuned dual, it should actually be slightly better because the there is less surface area of the piping to cause it to cool down too quickly before it the exhaust exits.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:33 AM
^Thats a really good point Silverbolt. I trust ISM has an answer for this...

In a single system, to achieve similar results - you would need a 4 1/2" or larger single exhaust.
Also, I am still curious as to why a single exhaust would need 4.5" piping? Is that measurement resulting from adding up two 2.25" pipes? If so, thats incorrect... heres another paint masterpiece...

Referring to my original post, the single pipe of similar sizing would be 3.5" if you were to combine two 2.5" pipes. Using 2.25" pipes, the single would result in 3.2" piping (using logic stated in the my first post).

Last edited by Clean G 4D; 10-04-2006 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Clean G 4D
LOL calvin... Yea, some things arent as important as others. This part serves a very important function, but apparently no one (besides ISM) knows anything about it. They just know the basics, a few basic concepts and the info supplied by exhaust companies. With something as important as this (and somewhat costly with some systems), wouldnt you want to know how and why it works the way it does?
Sorry for giving u wrong info, if u want i will delete my post from this thread.
I really do apologise.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Not to knickpic but if a particular car is single turbo, the exhaust will more than likely be a single pipe exhaust. Forced induction especially turbos aren't as concerned with exhaust pulses and scavanenging as they are with total pipe dia area and actually getting the exahaust out as fast and easy as possible.

When the exhaust pulses are directed into the turbo turbine section, it's no longer pulsing.

Well - you can look at our site and see the 20 HP gain dyno with our exhaust and resonated testpipes on an completely stock car...so that estimate is a good one. More HP will be seen from the intake and exhaust mods when combined - over their simple addition to a stock car.

A simple way to KNOW that a true dual flows better than a single piped exhaust:

Look at the last 50 years of automotive racing and forced induction vehicles. There isn't a real pro out there without a dual exhaust - especially and FI'd vehicle....why? Because they need MAX FLOW - and that what TRUE DUAL gives you....if you don't trust 50 years or so of professional racing and engine dynamics - then you wont trust anything any of us have to say - no matter what. Keep in mind as well - the new G35 is now made with a true dual exhaust - do you think they did that to de-tune it????

When you start a thread and ask for info - and MANY people agree and give info on why a duck is a duck....you have to stop assuming it's still a chicken.....

Rick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fundamental exhaust question...