Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Fundamental exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
SILVERBOLT -

Your the master of assumption - you have no idea what the discussions CLEAN and I have had over the last 2 days with you out of the way...and I didn't apologize either.

I chose to have discussion with him away from the drama king, you, and everything seems to be fine now.

He and i will continue our discussion in private - and as I told him, you are now on my ignore list.

After all - he and I are being very civil to each other now ...

Rick
Thats so good to hear! I'm proud of you!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:32 PM
ISMSOLUTIONS, you should really post the info you gave CLEAN. Its really good stuff!!! Your clear piping test is brilliant! Now THAT answers the question. My hats off to you, Rick.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:29 AM
Rick, as always, you have proved your antagonists that they have no reason to disprect you and your knowledge. No offense Silverbolt, I can understand why you would get a little frustrated, but the disrepect and ridicule was totally unncessary. Also, Rick provided way more information than you did. At least if you're going to ridicule someone, add some better information to back yourself up.

Rick, I like your experiments. Maybe you should post up this information up on your website so interested car owners can learn more about the efficiency of various exhaust set ups.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I would think any discussion of exhaust systems should include their potential effect on exhaust gas scavanging, cylinder charging as well as how firing order, cam timing, reversion, etc. affect the mix.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G05C
Rick, as always, you have proved your antagonists that they have no reason to disprect you and your knowledge. No offense Silverbolt, I can understand why you would get a little frustrated, but the disrepect and ridicule was totally unncessary. Also, Rick provided way more information than you did. At least if you're going to ridicule someone, add some better information to back yourself up.

Rick, I like your experiments. Maybe you should post up this information up on your website so interested car owners can learn more about the efficiency of various exhaust set ups.
Thanks man..

By the way, as I've said before, I'm not an employee or paid by Fast Intentions. I know Tony is currently working on revising the site, fixing a few things, and adding lots of content. It will take time, but more informative information, like your asking, is already part to the goal.

Rick

Old 10-08-2006, 12:23 PM

My purpose on this thread was to learn... to find the same answers that CLEAN was searching for. Apparently, there was a misunderstanding between Rick and CLEAN, and CLEAN got bashed on, and THAT, I found to be uncalled for. I was just pointing that out and defending CLEAN... and trying to get to the answer of the question as well. Rick deleted all of his earlier posts, but if you were following this thread from the beginning, you would understand why I was frustrated, and also offended. If I was disrespectful to him, it was because there was no respect deserved. However, in the end, Rick did finally pull through and have an answer for us. He could have shared this in the very beginning, but either way, he has my gratitude for shedding some light on a subject I was also inquiring.

Last edited by Silverbolt; 10-08-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Excerpt one:

The bottom line comes to this test I did on my own:

Make a Y pipe out of 1/2" PVC and make an X pipe out PVC as well. They may not be perfect examples of custom cut and welded pipe, but make them, as boxy as they will be - at least they will have the same disadvantages. On the top of the Y pipe - put a 2" piece of PVC with a reducer.

Then take 2 hoses and turn the pressure all the way up on the X pipe you made. You will see how the water flows and/or backs up the pipe. Then do the same with the Y pipe - using BOTH hoses - this is why there is a 2" piece of PVC on top. Now watch how the water flows and backs up.

The efficiency of the X is hugely better. The water will flow very smoothly out the X and there will be far less water backing up the pipe than the Y pipe will show you. You will also notice the Y pipe does not flow nearly as smooth and chokes on itself as well.

Also, if you let the pipe end flow into a bucket filled with water, you will see how many bubbles come of of the end in a Y pipe compared to the X - about 5 times more bubbles. This represents the pockets of air and the pulses not lining up, and being crammed into each other, instead of balanced and re-ordered.

Trust me man - I've done my homework on this, with HUNDREDS of dyno's testing different combinations and bolt-on systems.

I know you want to see more linear data - but manufacturers and R&D teams wont give it to you. I have yet to find it myself - and I've been looking for over a year.

Rick
Do you remember the dimmensions or diameter of the piping you used for this experiment?

Old 10-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Sorry man - do a better job of reading at least...give me a break...show enough respect back to at least read the post I put up that YOU asked for.

Rick
I read your post. Chris (CLEAN) read your PM, and we are both wondering what diameter of the outlet of the Y-Pipe is. According to what you say.. its two 1/2" into one 1/2" pipe. There should be two different diameters... in and out. If its the same, then your obviously bottle necking, and the question is if the outlet diameter was increased so there was no bottle necking, would it be as efficient?

After you FINALLY answered Chris's question, I asked if you can post it on the forum for all members to learn... not for me. You posting it on the forum doesnt benifit me in any way at all, since I could easily walk up to Chris and ask him myself. I gave you credit where credit was due. You finally addressed the question, and I thanked you for that. Now can you please stop acting like a jerk and share with the forum the details?

Old 10-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Speaking of whats totally unnecessary. It was unnecessary for Rick to insult Chris (CLEAN) over and over agian, and insult Chris's intellegence, bascially calling him an idiot for not understanding what Rick was saying... when it was actually Rick that was not addressing the quesion. Maybe I over reacted, but I dont take lightly when someone attacks family. If he hasnt appolgized to Chris, then I still think Rick owes Chris an appology for acting like a big headed arrogang jerk.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:07 PM
SILVERBOLT -

Are you going to contribute anything to this thread other than a bad attitude? The rest of us have put that aside...it's your turn. If your going to continue degrading things - I'm outta here...

Rick
Chris may have put it aside and forgoten about it, but hes too nice for his own good. You were a complete a$$ to him and you owe him an apology. I have nothing to contribute to this thread beause I'm am also a person who doesnt know and wanting to know the answer to a question. If you're "outa here" and ignore how you were acting before... so be it. I just hope we never cross paths.

Last edited by Silverbolt; 10-08-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:12 PM
To address the question of the pipe sizes I used in the experiment:

It was all 1/2" - it was the easiest as I would just slide the hose-ends right into each inlet without worrying about leaking once they back-flowed.

Just as if a custom Y/H or X was being made, I would use all 2 1/2" pipe, cut the pipes as necessary and insert the H, mate the Y or cross the X. I used flexible PVC to best simulate the mandrel bending of the pipes as well, only I made seams in the corners and bends to keep them in the shape I wanted/needed.

The same types of cuts and joining were made, just as they would have been done on actual pipe, to the PCV and then sealed. I wouldn't do it any other way - even on a car. The goal was to simulate flow, though this was water, for an all 2 1/2" exhaust system.

Rick
So basically, you bottle necked the Y-pipe in the experiement by not making a larger outlet. If this is the case, then isnt the test for the Y-pipe flawed because a real Y-pipe have a larger out to closer match the volume on the two smaller inlets?

Old 10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry all - I'm done here...I'm not going to deal with SILVERBOLT anymore, and don't have to.

SILVERBOLT - Chris can fight his battles..and there isn't a battle for him to fight anymore...so butt out and mind your own business. You seem to want to have fights with me, just because you can't let go of something that has nothing to do with you.

You may think Chris is 'too nice for his own good', and that's something you may want to pay attention to...you can learn from him greatly. Your grudges, especially those that don't belong to you, will come back to haunt you some day.

Anyone else can feel free to PM me if you want info or have questions.

Rick

Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Sorry all - I'm done here...I'm not going to deal with SILVERBOLT anymore, and don't have to.

SILVERBOLT - Chris can fight his battles..and there isn't a battle for him to fight anymore...so butt out and mind your own business. You seem to want to have fights with me, just because you can't let go of something that has nothing to do with you.

You may think Chris is 'too nice for his own good', and that's something you may want to pay attention to...you can learn from him greatly. Your grudges, especially those that don't belong to you, will come back to haunt you some day.

Rick
Silverbolt, thanks for ur explanation and reply to my message. However, I think Rick is right when it comes to Chris defending himself. I think you gave yourself a 'higher authority' or 'body-guard type' mentality when he did not ask for it openly. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen, Rick is trying his best to solve questions- people get frustrated once in awhile but I think Chris is mature enough to know when to step up for himself.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Silverbolt, thanks for ur explanation and reply to my message. However, I think Rick is right when it comes to Chris defending himself. I think you gave yourself a 'higher authority' or 'body-guard type' mentality when he did not ask for it openly. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen, Rick is trying his best to solve questions- people get frustrated once in awhile but I think Chris is mature enough to know when to step up for himself.
Chris is my little brother. Rick attacked him, and I take that personally. And I dont think Chris knows when to stand up for himself. Hes too nice for his own good. As for Rick, he told Chris that I'm on his ignore list. Thats fine. Rick attacked my family, so hes on my "i'll kick his *** and make breathing a challenge" list. For his sake, I hope we never cross paths.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 AM

Rick
It became my business when he called me over and was pointing out how much of a jerk you were, and how you were insulting him left and right. As I said before, you owe him an apology.... regardless if he decided to forget the way you were treating him.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fundamental exhaust question...