Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Crawford HFC - rattle after install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crawford HFC - rattle after install

I have read regarding this issue previously, and im aware of rattleing issues with the cats. But i am haveing a problem in the back end of the exhaust setup. I am running a stock exhaust,a nd HFC. Only change to the stock is that i cut out the resonater and replaced it with an aftermarket one. I think this may be the problem. The car is very raspy right now, and when it revs back down to idle i get a rattle around 3k rpm's. I am taking into a shop tomoro to possibly remove the resonater and install the stock one again, or install a different (bigger) resonater.

^^^ any suggestions please?

and also, question for those who have installed crawford cats....did your installer use the stock brace on the new cats? and the gaskets? my installer told me it wasnt needed and didnt use them, could this be a problem?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
happened to crawford cats also. went away after the retainer bracket was mounted.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
loosen everything and retighten from end to front to rid the rattles

Old 10-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
happened to crawford cats also. went away after the retainer bracket was mounted.
what retainer bracket? the stock one? How was it attached to the new cats, my installer said he didnt see a way too.

And also, does anyone have stock exhaust with crawford cats, if so do you have any rasp at all?

Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Staff Alumni
I've had that rattle for a year now. It happened when I had kinetix cats on my stock sedan exhaust, as well as crawford cats with the same exhaust. It's almost a metallic hiss.

I put it on a lift, and it sounded like it was coming from one of the flex sections on the stock ypipe. I even got an extra OEM ypipe for replacement, but never put it on.

I then got a stillen sedan exhaust, which replaces the ypipe with an xpipe(no flex sections). To my surprise, the hiss was still there. On the lift, it sounded like it was coming from the middle of the xpipe.

I eventually put my stock cats back on, and the sound was still there.

I've just learned to live with it.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 PM
I went ahead and had my stock resonater installed again, rattle went away.....now my rear bumper is vibrating and causing a rattle at 2k rpm's =\

Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
ahhhh this rattle is so annoying! 2am....turn on the car, and it rattles as the rpm's fall from 2kish down to 1.4ish....it dies down under 1k =\ i need to find a way to fix it.....think its best to just wait until i isntall my exhaust and see if its gonna go away?

I asked a shop about isntalling the bracket from stock, but they said they dont find a way to mount that.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an engine dampener will get rid of the rattles caused by hfc's

Old 11-21-2006, 09:42 AM
LEK
That Guy

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by techi13
an engine dampener will get rid of the rattles caused by hfc's
i have that and i still have the rattles...

Old 11-21-2006, 01:30 PM
ok, i just spoke to doug and he mentioned the bracket is supposed to be installed - and it is attatched toi the transmission bracket?.....i really wish i could go udner there my self to see whats down there and how everything works.

The shop said they didnt see anyplace to mount the bracket........ can anyone confirm this is the bracket that should be mounted?

Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 PM
you know what is funny I just took my car into the dealer because on my car it sounded like it was comming from the tranny. Found out it is in the Y-pipe. I think that it is comming from the backpressure and something in that Y-pipe. I am going to pull my Y-pipe off maybe tomorrow and find out what it is. I will let you know

Old 11-22-2006, 12:29 AM
thanks, do you have crawford cats? if so can you please take a pic of your install? im going to be checking under there myself sometime this week.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:23 PM
bump for help!

Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
yo...samething happened to me when i installed my HKS Dual Ti Catback...
i don't have HFC yet...but just right after i got my catback installed i started to get that rattle in between 1.4~1.7 rpm... this is really annoying...
i'm gonna take it to my friend's shop next week...i'm gonna find out what it is...

Old 12-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Solutions?

Did anyone figure out what's causing this? I get the rattle around 3K - 3.5K RPMs while accelerating. I was considering replacing the resonators on my Stillen cat-back system with the same (but new) ones.

TIA,
B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crawford HFC - rattle after install