Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Injen CAI Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen CAI Fitment Issues

Got around to installing my Injen CAI on my 03.5 G35S. Found two problems which I noticed no one else has mentioned. (Searched the forums and found no prior posts)

1. Secondary pipe (leading to the fender area) is very close to the HID ballast (like 2mm). Anyone experience any problems with this? Will it rub against the ballast under heavy acceleration or cornering?
2. The filter touches the fender liner and bulges out about 2 inches into the wheel well. Is this normal? SHould I be concerned?

Old 11-03-2003, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Injen CAI Fitment Issues

Both of these were issues when I installed the RD1990 version of the Injen CAI. I think part of that was because I started the install up near the plenum and ended at the filter.

On the next go around (I installed the RD1992 on my 2nd G--and that's the one I STRONGLY recommend using eve if you have an automatic), I decided to start with the filter inside the wheel well and then work back toward the plenum. That way, I could bolt the air filter end of the intake so that it didn't rub the HID, nor push against the wheel well cover.

Worked like a charm.

--Steve

Old 11-03-2003, 02:09 PM

I actually took it all apart and reinstalled it from the filter first, but with the second pipe attached to that vibra mount, you don't have much of a choice in where to position the filter. I currently have a piece of foam wedged inbetween the HID ballast and the pipe.

I do not plan to scrap this intake and buy the 1992 version so if this is the norm with everyone else, I will probably try to replace the filter with a narrower design and possibly move the HID ballast? Any ideas from anyone else?

BTW, I installed this simultaneously with my Greddy Exhaust and I can tell you the sound from the exhaust is minimal. All the noise is coming from the intake and there are times the intake resonates so much that it causes the interior to rattle.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:24 PM

"(I installed the RD1992 on my 2nd G--and that's the one I STRONGLY recommend using eve if you have an automatic)"

Hey Zimbo: Would you mind elaborating a little on the benefits of the RD1992? How is it easier to install? Is the fender well pipe shorter?

And is there anyone else who agrees w/ this statement? Should I get the RD1992 even if I have the auto? I'm planning to order an Injen CAI this week, but want to make sure I've done my research first.

Many thanks,
NIC

Old 11-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly recommend the RD1992 for ALL installs, not just the manual... The MAF sensor is closer to it's stock position, there are two mounting "fork" brackets instead of one, a rubber air tube extension is not necessary. It seems to be quieter.

That said, if I approach WOT it's still loud enough to resonate the cabin and make the windows rattle--just like the last one.

--Steve