Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Motordyne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motordyne

Hello Everyone,
I’ve decided to make what could be a one time post here to acknowledge Motordyne Engineering---specifically Tony Colette.
I’m quite involved in the FX35/45 online community. I've autocrossed my FX35 several times and have had it to the track twice. I've done quite well at both. The FX is an amazing vehicle.
I installed Tony’s 1/2 “ plenum spacer about 1.5 yrs ago.

November 30 of this yr, my FX just flat out had some sort of catastrophic failure.
I had to have my car trailered 300 miles to Zimbrick Infiniti in Madison, WI.
(the closest dealer to me)

A few days went by and I was informed that a wiring harness connector had failed. I was informed a day later that the ECU had been taken out, also. More than likely because of the failed connector. They replaced that, too.
I was then told that my 1/2” Motordyne spacer gasket was leaking just a bit. I told them to go ahead and replace it knowing that would be out of pocket. (The FX carries a 4yr/60,000 mile warranty. I have 58,414 miles on mine)

That’s when it got interesting. I was then told I had an exhaust restriction and that both converters were plugged. Vacuum tests showed only 6 in. instead of 20 in. They (their tech guy) said that the slight prolonged leak from my spacer gasket plugged my converters. They wanted me to pay $2,000.00 for two new converters.
I’m no mechanic, but common sense and some knowledge told me something was wrong with this picture.
After consulting with 3 people that do know what’s going on, I decided to fight their conclusion.

I decided to go Motordyne’s website to send an email to them. (Just trying to cover all my bases) I then saw the phone number there and decided it couldn’t hurt to try and talk to someone. It was Tony that answered the phone. He runs a completely hands on operation and has been the one to answer the phone the 3-4 times we’ve talked about this situation.
Tony jumped in feet first and was extremely helpful. He didn’t need to help as he did because no one was questioning the merits of his spacer. They were trying to pin the problem on a slight leak in a gasket I had installed 1.5 yrs ago.
He prepared a list of analytical questions as to how they arrived at their conclusion. I drafted a letter and included Tony’s questions at the bottom indicating that I wanted each question answered in writing with corroborating data and evidence to support each request.
I asked that they acknowledge receipt of my correspondence by replying in kind.
One of the service advisors, Lorrie, responded saying her immediate manager was on vacation until 12/18/06 and that she would forward my letter on to Infiniti to see if they would agree to cover the 2K for the converters. That was 12/11/06.

Last night, I heard back from Lorrie and my car is fixed and ready to go. They decided to go good for it and I couldn’t be happier.

I believe Tony Colette was instrumental in providing his knowledge and insight into my situation and cutting to the chase with his list of pertinent criteria, the answers to which would have had to have been addressed in order to come to a logical analysis and conclusion.

I will say that Zimbrick Infiniti of Madison has treated me extremely well in the past. Extremely well, especially considering I bought my FX on Ebay in August of 2004. This incident got off on the wrong track.

“You trust your mother, but you cut the cards,” as my dad was known to say from time to time.

My FX will be delivered back to me tomorrow. Zimbrick also shipped a G35X up here for me to use. Way beyond what I would have ever expected. I don’t believe there are many dealers out there that would have taken care of me like that. Maybe none.

Last edited by wireboltman; 12-21-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

We all know that Tony is a top notch guy.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Hey, excellent story.

That why Motordyne DOMINATES the spacer market in these forums....

Skunk2? Who?

Old 12-21-2006, 08:15 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tony and Motordyne are very well respected here, as are all his products. Thank Goodness for g35driver.com!

Old 12-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Yes, I agree... Tony's a great guy. I thought about that "other" brand... but at the end, I choose the right one... I love my MD 1/2" spacer.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, I don't know why as many as do go with brand X. Not to say there are not alternatives, and competition is always good.
But going with something that was not only well designed, but tested by an independent publication is a big plus. On top of all that, outstanding customer service.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Nice to hear a good story for a change.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by tomcatm
Nice to hear a good story for a change.
+10,000

I hate hearing the stories about people who have their engine warranty voided for having aftermarket speakers in the doors. Or other BS like that.

At least this was one screw over the dealer couldn't pull off.

This really was a bad conclusion on the dealers part.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
And thanks for the props guys! Its really appreciated.