Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

The New SEDAN Stillen Dual Catback - INSTALLED!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The New SEDAN Stillen Dual Catback - INSTALLED!!!

Read through half the post and just got tired of reading all the compliments. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just wanted to ask if this Stillen systems on the sedan sounds anything like the coupe system? If it is the case, I prefer the sound of Borla over Stillen. Thanks!

It's still a G thang!!

Old 12-15-2003, 12:44 AM

I second the question on how does the sedan stillen compare with the coupe stock? In terms of decibals or estimated percent sound increase? I was told by Stillen that it was 4 decibals louder than stock sedan, but I didn't ask at what RPM. (can't download the sound clips).

Based on the comments above, I'm 90% confident that the performance gains are there with preservation or improvement of low-end torque. I'm sold on the better type of sound and know that it is louder at all RPM's. Last question before I order is how would the increased sound be cruising at 85 MPH at ~3100 RPM for 8 hours??

Stillen also said that exhaust weight was up due to the extra piping over stock. Someone above said weight was down?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by don1 on 12/14/03 09:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 12-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

blackonblackG (Journeyman)
12/12/03 08:12 PM

can you compare your stillen to the 22" magnaflow. right now i get a pretty bad drone with light gas from 1500-2200rpm when the car is fully heated up. is this issue taken care of with the stillen exhaust or do you still get that drone. also would you say 0-2000rpm is louder with the sitllen or quieter then the magnaflow 22". thanks.
__________________________________________________ _

I would only get what your talking about while under a accelerating load. Holding steady or off the gas makes for whole world differances in the sound your talking about. When I wasn't hot foot'n it I would find myself in that rev range frequently, so I know exactly what your describing. Once I am done accelerating, the sound goes away. My current custom exhaust is dramatically different than how the premuffler replacement mod was, from idle to redline. In principle, I would expect the stillen to be just as different.

"i, for one, am not a fan of glory hounds."

Dang straight, it's all about the glory of helping. Who have you helped today?

Old 12-15-2003, 12:52 PM

"I would only get what your talking about while under a accelerating load. Holding steady or off the gas makes for whole world differances in the sound your talking about. When I wasn't hot foot'n it I would find myself in that rev range frequently, so I know exactly what your describing. Once I am done accelerating, the sound goes away. My current custom exhaust is dramatically different than how the premuffler replacement mod was, from idle to redline. In principle, I would expect the stillen to be just as different."

Different as in better?
I’m glad you know what I’m talking about though. I do realize that with constant speed the drone goes away but going to and from work is when I do most of my driving and I find myself getting stuck between the 40-50mph range in 5th gear with almost a constant minimal acceleration... so I’m guessing that with your custom setup you still have that drone but its a different tone and not as base low type, now its more pleasurable?

Old 12-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Re: Audio Sound Bites

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I am going down to Technosquare tomorrow to see if this system does anything to the A/F mixture ratio. Wll keep you all posted - Gurgen

<hr></blockquote>Anxiously awaiting your Stillen exhaust w/ TS ECU air flow evaluation and report...

Old 12-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Re: Did I get my Dual Exhaust installed???

Gurgen... yes, I had it installed last Friday at Stillen.

Everyone else...yes, there is noise anytime you have the throttle down. Pleasant for running the roads, but maybe not so for taking clients out (unless they are gearheads)

When you have reached speed and are cruising without accelerating, there is no noise. When you are at a stop light idling...no noise.

-T

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 12-15-2003, 04:27 PM

What's your take on the performance now that you've had it for a few days? Did you notice any improvement in torque at low rpms as did Gurgen? He took me for a ride and it seemed impressive from the passenger seat, but I wouldn't really know cause I didn't drive. How would you rate it on a scale of 1-5, w/ 5 being worth every penny? Just want to get more feedback before possibly laying down a grand for one in the upcoming week or two. Thanks!

BTW, the only thing I wish it had appearance-wise were slanted "rolled" tips, kinda like the stock system. IMO, the tips are a bit thin. I guess that can be fixed by purchasing some tips though.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:53 PM

Third Day Feedback:

1) DAMN! I love the sound!!!

2) Mileage is biting at 19, but probably cuz I just can't stop goosing it to give all those BIMR drivers whiplash.

3) Definitely has more get up and go....I have not done an ECU,reset nor am I chipped.

4) Smelling a little bit of fuel/exhaust fumes...but that may go away as the ECU learns and the exhaust breaks in. Steve Millen did say that the sound would change a little as the system breaks in. I have not noticed anything on that yet.

5) I am learning to not over-throttle in order to cruise without the growl.

6) I am having a hard time learning to not floor it every time I see a BIMR, G-coupe or Mustang

7) I like the way the pipes don;t stick out from my NISMO kit's bumper...they will by about 1.5" to 2" if you have the stock rear bumper.

8) I wish we could have had a seperated dual exhaust system...but, oh well.

9) I wish the tips were a little more dressier...but this forces me to continue looking stealthy.

10) DAMN, I love the sound of this thing!

=====
BTW, A Red G-sedan was at Stillen today when i ran by to pick my OEM exhaust. (didn't want to haul it in the G last Fri) He was geteting his Dual too.

Anybody from the board?

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 12-16-2003, 03:12 AM

That would be me. Your right the sound is killer, I drove with my stereo off and the window down all the way home just to listen to the" Beast" released with-in....Wife thinks its a little to loud, guess I'll be driving more!!!! The car does feel a lot more responsive at the low end now. Unfortunately I had to work all day and haven’t really had the chance to test it out on the highway, tomorrow won’t be here soon enough...

Old 12-16-2003, 09:07 AM

i always enjoy your imput. i've got the new borla dual
exhause for sedans installed. GurgenPB's comments
are the same for borla. your comments about interior
sound levels are also true of borla. my wife's not overly
happy with the new sys. at cruise 70-80mph, cabin sound
levels are as stock even witn the k&n typhoon.
this is FYI only in case anyone ask about borla
happy holidays,
bob

old road rat

Old 12-16-2003, 11:28 AM
AV6
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Gurgen,

Enjoy the sound and performance as the rest who installed this exhaust. It would be cool if you find time to do a DYNO to see how much you gained (with your existing mods) from stock before you'd go FI.

By the way got 04 sedan on 12/1 and love it.

Serge.

2004 G35s (bone stock)
-----------------------------------
2002 s/c Accord V6
1/4 13.9@101.8

Old 12-16-2003, 11:36 AM
AV6

Zimbo,

Congrats on Vortech. Its hard to stop, trust me. I have supercharged Accord and I always look for something more.
My new upcoming mods are all forged internals swap this winter and new performance tranny that can handle up to 500whp.

There are not many exhaust system around that will give you more low-end. It seems Stillen is the way to go, however I'd like to see Gurgen's DYNO and compare to stock.

2004 G35s (bone stock)
2002 s/c Accord V6
1/4 13.9@101.8

Old 12-16-2003, 01:03 PM

where do you get the borla dual for the sedan and how much is it?

2003.5 G35S, 6MT, BLACK ON BLACK
35% TINT
CLEAR CORNERS

Old 12-17-2003, 02:20 AM

Hey Guys

Sorry to be away for while, just got back from an expensive weekend in Vegas....

hey Serge (- long time...) COngrats on your new toy - it's truly awesome ain't it ?! AT or 6MT?

I will definitely be dynoing the car, but unfortunately not with the exhasut ONLY added. My plans are to drop in the new cats and I am afraid that my T/C swaps have messed up our controlled testing method a bit....

But we'll see, I have an idea on how to come up with some valid dyno results for comparison.... But that would have to wait at least till the second week of January 2004, becuse I have been dynoing my car in San Jose and want to use the same machine - we'll see.

Here is the A/F mixture report that I promised> I am afraid I can only be 80% sure about this - not my usual 99% required to state anything with certainty. We checked the A/F last Friday at TS and came up with 13.1, which is where it was at my last dyno (it is lean b/c of the torque converter that I am currenlty redoing - too high a stall speed). So we richened it up a bit to about 12.5 - and BAM!!! - the car is yet again awakened!! It is the fastest it has ever been.

I am, in my unusual tradition moving on to some other mods.

Stand by for these, AS WELL AS SOME OTHER things I am doing that I will be reporting on shortly... It is nice to be off for a whole month - alot of time to mod....

Gurgen

Old 12-17-2003, 01:04 PM
AV6

Hey Gurgen,

I've got 5AT (silver/black) since my wife doesn't drive stick and due to traffic issues, nice ride (just broke 1000 miles, drove a lot) [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].

It found A/F ratio to set the best just below of 13 on my s/c Accord and it seems that is the key with G otherwise you would experience the gradual detonation, so 12.5 sounds right where it should be.

As far as DYNO, all was I interested to see your WHP before you'd go FI (forced induction) so sure adding cat doesnt hurt, so take your time no rush, I just curious how much you gain comparing to stock.

Thanks, Serge

2004 G35s (bone stock)
2002 s/c Accord V6
1/4 13.9@101.8

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The New SEDAN Stillen Dual Catback - INSTALLED!!!