Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

AEM / Injen / K&N Typhoon CAIs.. anyone tried em?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Lex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM / Injen / K&N Typhoon CAIs.. anyone tried em?

Hey guys, has anyone tried more than one of these intakes on 05+ coupes?

Currently, I have the Injen CAI SP1993 with MR technology... I have no complains.. sounds great, looks clean, except I got a referee ticket for having it.. =/
Injen says carb is in pending status for SP series on the 05s.
I checked with AEM and K&N today and both AEM CAI and K&N Typhoon CAI both are carb legal and come with stickers when purchased.

I know the AEM CAI is very similar to the Injen. It probably gains similar power and sounds like the Injen too. K&N doesn't have any kind of dyno charts on the 05s. I heard K&N Typhoon system isn't as good as AEM/Injen and also, was told that filter sits a little higher compared to AEM/Injen.
Does anyone have K&N Typhoon or tried these intakes Any info will be greatly appreciated...

Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
honestly, it isn't going to make much of a difference, if any at all. the difference that each intake will give/take from your performance is going to be negligible. imo though, stick with a dry filter for whatever intake you choose. that's just a personal preference.

my advice: swap the stock airbox back in and get it signed off. or if you can, just find a cop friend who will sign it off for you. either way, it'll be cheaper than selling what you have and buying another intake. save that money for something more useful.

btw - you better be comin out to the chino hills meet thurs night!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Lex
man, too lazy to swap back to stock and take it out again...
plus, I want something with carb sticker... injen doesn't have it... yet..
it'll take them few more months.
out of all the CAIs the Injen I have is my favorite, but wouldn't mind a stillen + ztube. problem is, stillen is also pending on the carb eo.
only options i have = stock (hell no...), popcharger+ztube (thinking about it...), K&N Typhoon complete cai (i want this the most, just because of the red piping). I no longer want the AEM after looking at their piping. It just looks all ghetto using stock adapter or whatever for the maf sensor. Injen and K&N looks better cleaner.
I'm not really looking to gain any power.. I just don't want to lose more of the low-end that I lost from the injen i have.

First priority: CARB sticker on the ****
2nd: Most aggresive/loudest sound
3rd: Looks (CAI looks the best, then stillen, then pop charger, then stock)
4th: Power (not looking for anything noticeable, just don't wanna lose too much lol)

So far, Stillen+popcharger+CF z-tube setup will be perfect for me... sounds good, looks good, all around powerband... but no carb sticker...
)@(*%$(@#)*&%)(@*&%)
F U K ~! FULK!$!@%*( now i'm scared to buy the HKS exhaust... i know i'll get pulled over if i put on the exhaust.. f u k! i need to find a way to retaliate against the five-o's....
man, nobody gets harrassed as much as i do.. at least nobody in irvine... and my car's the most stock out of all the G's i know in irvine... Man, every G/Z i know in irvine got modified & louder exhaust systems. they never get pulled over... ( F U K ! )
yeah i was gunna head out there last week but something came up.. i'll try to go down for sure this time. it's this thursday right?

Old 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by suhochunsah
Hey guys, has anyone tried more than one of these intakes on 05+ coupes?

Currently, I have the Injen CAI SP1993 with MR technology... I have no complains.. sounds great, looks clean, except I got a referee ticket for having it.. =/
Injen says carb is in pending status for SP series on the 05s.
I checked with AEM and K&N today and both AEM CAI and K&N Typhoon CAI both are carb legal and come with stickers when purchased.

I know the AEM CAI is very similar to the Injen. It probably gains similar power and sounds like the Injen too. K&N doesn't have any kind of dyno charts on the 05s. I heard K&N Typhoon system isn't as good as AEM/Injen and also, was told that filter sits a little higher compared to AEM/Injen.
Does anyone have K&N Typhoon or tried these intakes Any info will be greatly appreciated...
The AEM CAI makes more power than the Injen one for starters. I am purchasing the K&N CAI this month and have heard nothing but great things about it. It makes slightly more power than the AEM one and it's only 200 bux too

Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 PM
dont get the aem! i have it and i got a ticket for it..when i went to state referee he told me to go get a carb sticker. i got a carb sticker, went back, and then he told me that my carb sticker is for a 2003 and that 04+isnt approved yet!

Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 AM
THE BATMOBILE
none will yield any gains........go with injen for the noise

Old 03-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Lex
Originally Posted by savefatkids
dont get the aem! i have it and i got a ticket for it..when i went to state referee he told me to go get a carb sticker. i got a carb sticker, went back, and then he told me that my carb sticker is for a 2003 and that 04+isnt approved yet!
Thanks Robert. I wasn't gonna get AEM anyways because of the ghetto look of maf sensor placement. But damn, u got ref ticket for intake too? I got one with Injen... Injen says it's pending. I'm gonna just go with k&n typhoon cai. k&n says it's carb legal and has sticker included.

Originally Posted by truplay8
none will yield any gains........go with injen for the noise
Uhm.. i'm not sure if u read my first post.. or just missed it but I have the Injen on my car right now... and although I like it very much, I have no choice but to get a different one. But why do you say go with Injen for noise? AEM or K&N Typhoon complete cold air intake systems are not as loud as the Injen..? btw, i have an 05 coupe 6mt. I hope they're at least as loud as Injen...

Old 03-31-2007, 12:29 AM
no gains at all? not even a little bit? how can an intake system pulling cold air not be beneficial?

nevermind, i just got through reading another thread and my question can be woefully debated at either end.

Last edited by Jaded; 03-31-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the K&N Typhoon CAI on my car. Other than looking very shiny and relocating air filter into the wheel well which makes changing the filter a super tedious process, I think it give me like 40 horsepower indicated by the sucking air noise I keep hearing.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
The AEM CAI makes more power than the Injen one for starters. I am purchasing the K&N CAI this month and have heard nothing but great things about it. It makes slightly more power than the AEM one and it's only 200 bux too
Do you have any evidence to support your claim? I am so tired of reading intake threads that say just get an intake they make not power or intake A is better than intake B. Where is the dyno data? Where is the evidence to substatiate all these claims? I'm going bonkers.

I am looking for a "test-bed" intake to run some testing for our BPI FLow Stack on the VQ. We just recieved some very positive results from a shop in Canada on the VQ (ie. 350Z) and I am looking to perform our own testing.

Test will be performed on stock 05 6MT, against "aftermarket" intake, against "aftermarket" intake with BPI Flow Stack.

My decision now is trying to make an educated decision on an intake.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by savefatkids

hmmm see if you had the carb sticker from the get-go im sure you wouldnt have ran into this problem at all man...not tryin to put you down but you gave them a chance to look further into the FINE DETAILS...com eman we out here in cali...we gotta be sneaky haha

ps thanks for the fine details...im getting a aem intake for a 350z..so hmm yeah lol guess ill be screwed if i go to a ref too.lol

out of curiosity...how much was that ticket?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just got couple of questions for injen owners.
1. Can the Injen CAI be installed with the engine cover on?
2. I have an 05 g35x sedan, will it fit?
3. Does the bumper need to be removed for installation?
4. Since its an CAI setup wouldn't the intake suck up rain? Wouldnt rain go through the bumper hole into the filter and up the the engine? and cause problems to the engine?
5. Does injen come in polished only?

thanks.

Last edited by jin22gt; 03-13-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Guys, guys, guys, have you not searched these topics? The facts are these CAIs do not work and the same goes for the POP and Stillen CAI. Some of our more avid strip racers have tested the Stillen CAIs and have noted their modded VQs performed better with the stock intakes. Dyno tests show the same results. It's a well known fact that these AEM/Injen CAIs are great for two things:

1) Reducing power thanks to the enlongated intake tract which basically chokes the VQ at higher rpms.

2) Blown MAFs. VQ35 MAF sensors teamed with CAIs tend to get destroyed.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I had the AEM C.A.I and was very happy, no regrets, never had any problems with it either

Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 AM
I have a Problem with the Injen SP1993 W/ MR Tech Please help

I just installed the Injen sp1993 w/ MR tech cold air intake. The thing is I chose the secondary option and installed it as a short ram. But heres the thing, when I start my car, the engine will start than cut off. I noticed that when I repeated this but applied the accelerator, the engine stayed on. Is there a product defect? or does it have to be in the cold air intake layout? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AEM / Injen / K&N Typhoon CAIs.. anyone tried em?