Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installed Stillen Cat-back this morning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Installed Stillen Cat-back this morning...

the catback exhaust does not fit the g35x... no word on why it doesn't haha... but it only works w/ the rwd model...

Old 01-19-2004, 05:59 PM

I would think that the exhaust piping would need to be different due to the different drivetrain setup on the g35x.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 PM

can you post some pics of the install? Id like to see the size of the tips compared to the Fujitsubo

2004 G35 6MT Coupe
Black/Willow
Purchased Dec 20, 2003

Old 01-20-2004, 09:02 PM

you're welcome [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

Old 01-20-2004, 10:18 PM

That is a beautiful thing.

03.5 5AT-S (Black-Willow-Premium-Sport-Aero-GroundingGear™-Silverstars-PIAA)

Old 01-21-2004, 08:13 AM

Now that you have some more miles on your exhaust, did it ever mellow out a little bit?

Old 01-21-2004, 09:16 PM

I've had it on the car since Saturday. I've driven the car everyday since then. The improvement in performance is significant. The car seems to have much more grunt. It accelerates like mad. At WOT, it sounds awesome. But for everyday driving about town, it is intrusively loud.

Do these things really mellow, or do some people just become accustomed to a loud exhaust note after a week or two? I'll keep you posted...

'03 G35 5AT Sedan, Garnet Fire/Willow
18x8 SSR GT1/Bridgestone S03 225/45/18Y
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs & Anti-Sway Kit
Stillen Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System

Old 01-21-2004, 09:31 PM

thanks. looking foward to a future update.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, please keep us posted on the sound of the exhaust.

amG35
2003 Silver Sedan

Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 AM

Hmm, only 5 days? Most seem to have taken a bit longer than that to mellow. Also, I did post how much difference in sound (and performance!) doing all four quick ecu resets made, particularly the "Idle Air Volume Learning" procedure. I presume you have *successfully* done these by now? If yes, I would say give it a couple of weeks or so. And enjoy the perf gains!

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

Old 01-22-2004, 06:33 PM

With the gain I've noticed in performance, I will grit my teeth until the beast begins to mellow. To those of you who profess a mellowing process is still underway, I haven't given up hope. I'm hoping in the next week or so, I'll start-up the car, and... hear some ear-candy. I'll let you know. Thanks, all.

18x8 SSR GT1/Bridgestone S03 225/45/18Y

Old 01-23-2004, 06:39 PM

Bullseye,
You have me a bit worried about the increased decibal level under normal cruising conditions. I ordered by stillen sedan exhaust and will install in a week. Don't mind a much louder sound level under hard accelleration, but I want it to be "not that much louder" when cruising at a given speed.

Also, in your opinion, how would you describe the type of louder sound? high pitched or low. Nice V8 sound, or Civic 4 cyl engine with ricey/high pitched annoying sound? I have heard audio clips, but hard to hear the increase in sound with no stock comparison.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:31 AM

Well, so far, it's still loud. I'm a little embarrassed to start it up at work, because it turns heads. Until the engine warms-up, the engine at fast idle is loud. The folks at work know I'm into cars, but... it's just a bit much for my taste. At work, a car with a relatively low profile is good.

From inside the cabin:

At low to moderate open throttle, it sounds more high-pitched than stock, more like a coffee-can 4-cyl Civic. It drones.

At cruise/no load, you can only just barely hear it; It is very quiet then.

At WOT, it is electrifying! It howls! The sound is so powerful and aggressive, it's enough to make the unsuspecting swerve off the road to regain their composure. It is a *beast* at WOT.

But, if I get out of the parked car and walk around back:

The sound coming out of the tailpipes at idle is a low, mellow baritone. The exhaust note from that spot sounds more like a V-8. It has a pleasing sound from out back, much in contrast to the sound I hear inside the cabin. Go figure.

There is no vibration from the new exhaust. No rumble. The car does not gently rock at idle. When I "down-shift" the 5AT to slow down, the exhaust responds with a sweet burble.

I love the performance gain. I love the sound at WOT. I love the burbling sound of deceleration. But so far, I do not like the character of the sound that accompanies my daily, around town driving. If this exhaust note does not moderate itself, I will think myself the fool for not keeping my stock system... I still have hope.

18x8 SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03 225/45/18Y

Old 01-24-2004, 07:45 AM

With my 22" magnaflow resonator mod, I find that with low rpms 1300-1800 it drones in the cabin with all the windows closed but when I open up the front windows it actually sounds really good and sweet. So pretty much your stillen is the same way when you open up those windows?

I hope your stillen starts to mellow out soon and you really enjoy your purchase. The stillen exhaust description sounds sweet but if they aren’t mellowing out I might have to consider the cheaper not as good borla  please give us another update when you can. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:50 AM

I should underscore the fact that, overall, I do enjoy my new Stillen Exhaust System.

The increase in performance more than offsets the increase in exhaust sounds. At this time, the drone (not a buzz) I can hear from inside the cabin at medium rpms intrudes just enough to constitute a slight annoyance. It seems like the decibel level is moderating ever so slightly, particularly over the last 2 days. It needs to continue to moderate a bit more... In any case, I can easily eliminate the in-cabin intrusion of the exhaust note with one touch on the volume button on my 1300w in-cabin aftermarket sound system (Directed Audio, MB Quart).

I love to listen to music when I drive. I could not tolerate a long drive without my tunes. But I have not been listening to my stereo much at all lately. Instead, I have been listening to my exhaust system. The novelty has yet to wear off.

It's getting better, folks.

18x8 SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03 225/45/18Y
Stillen Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bullseye on 01/24/04 07:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed Stillen Cat-back this morning...