Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Headers / HFC's with STOCK Cat-Back anyone? Sound Clips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers / HFC's with STOCK Cat-Back anyone? Sound Clips?

Looking for some sound clips of our cars with Headers, HFC's, and a stock cat - back. Anyone have a link?

Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 AM
i dont have a sound clip but i had that setup...sound is sick! get crawford hfc cause the kinetix tends to give it a nasty rasp/buzzing sound.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had headers & test pipes with the stock cat back. It was the worst sounding setup I have ever had. The problem was the cat back could not handle the flow. The flex pipe portion of the exhaust would balloon up causing that nasty "rasp" sound. I added the Stillen cat back and that took care of the issue. I wouldn't recommend a high flow system with the stock cat back, the pipe is way too small to handle the flow.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by diablo1356
i dont have a sound clip but i had that setup...sound is sick! get crawford hfc cause the kinetix tends to give it a nasty rasp/buzzing sound.
I'm glad you mentioned Kinetix specifically because I have been considering them. Also looking at Crawford, Random Tech, and HopUP's.

Originally Posted by machavez702
I had headers & test pipes with the stock cat back. It was the worst sounding setup I have ever had. The problem was the cat back could not handle the flow. The flex pipe portion of the exhaust would balloon up causing that nasty "rasp" sound. I added the Stillen cat back and that took care of the issue. I wouldn't recommend a high flow system with the stock cat back, the pipe is way too small to handle the flow.
I plan on running HFC's and hope the sound that you got was mainly because of the test pipes. I have to use the car for business from time to time and am trying to keep the noise level down. Thats why I really hope the noise level with this set-up will not be loud. If I didnt care about the noise level i would go for Headers, Test pipes, and cat back.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
i have headers, tp, and injen sounds mean

Old 09-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
coupe midpipe alone not loud enough for you or are you satisfied with the current exhaust sound just wanting more power ?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by abailey269
I plan on running HFC's and hope the sound that you got was mainly because of the test pipes. I have to use the car for business from time to time and am trying to keep the noise level down. Thats why I really hope the noise level with this set-up will not be loud. If I didnt care about the noise level i would go for Headers, Test pipes, and cat back.
It was from the flex section of the cat-back, specifaclly the threads that make up the flex section. As the car was reved, I could see the flex section balloon and I could hear that nasty noise from the threads rattling against other threads. It wasn't from the test pipes. From what I know, the hi-flow cats flow almost as much as the test pipes on our engines. So I would expect the same noise unless you have the flex section removed. It was bad enough that I was embarrased to go into the 3k range and that I was willing to fork over $1,000 for the cat-back system. I have ran test pipes, hi-flows, & stock cats with the Stillen without the raspy sound.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by CruisnGcoupe
i have headers, tp, and injen sounds mean
I think the coupe has a different cat-back system (more flow) than the sedan.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by 68_GT
coupe midpipe alone not loud enough for you or are you satisfied with the current exhaust sound just wanting more power ?
Wanting more power. Dont want it much louder.

Originally Posted by machavez702
It was from the flex section of the cat-back, specifaclly the threads that make up the flex section. As the car was reved, I could see the flex section balloon and I could hear that nasty noise from the threads rattling against other threads. It wasn't from the test pipes. From what I know, the hi-flow cats flow almost as much as the test pipes on our engines. So I would expect the same noise unless you have the flex section removed. It was bad enough that I was embarrased to go into the 3k range and that I was willing to fork over $1,000 for the cat-back system. I have ran test pipes, hi-flows, & stock cats with the Stillen without the raspy sound.
Where is the flex section on the stock cat back? Some cars must react different to Headers / HFCs than others. See This Thread of Trey's https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/177557-my-exhaust-experiences.html where he says that he had absolutely no Rasp with HFC's & Coupe Midpipe with stock cat back. Maybe headers would have added rasp? He said that the headers added a deeper tone but not louder and no rasp but by this time he was running a cat back.

Any other sedan guys out there running HFC / Headers / stock cat back that can chime in?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I'll take a look at the y section later tonight to see where it's at. The coupe middy might take care of that as an issue. But what I can tell you for sure is that it's not from headers, not from test pipes, not from hi-flows, and not from stock cats.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Does Fast Intentions have a system for the sedan? I thought they were developing one...

Old 09-15-2007, 02:50 PM
They were developing a sedan exhaust but to my knowledge, they haven't completed it.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Of all the gawd awful noises that i've ever heard, headers, test pipes, ypipe, and everything else stock, this is by far the worst i've ever heard. I'm going to go take it to an exhaust shop either today or tomorrow, or sometime next week, and have the resonator replaced with just a piece of tube (no exhaust restrictions) I have a feeling that will help. If it doesn't, I'll get something to replace the muffler, but think that the removal of the resonator will help a LOT. Should be getting my Kinetix V+ Monday, and the JDM cams go in at the end of the month.

Seriously though, unless you are gonna replace everything behind the high flowing stuff, just hold off. As long as i'm not into the throttle it's not bad, and I think it'll be okay once the resonator is gone, but jeez... this is awful! lol.
On the plus side, the stainless steel headers, test pipes, and ypipe i got look ****!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Last I recall FastIntentions could not find a configuration that met their expectations for sound quality...

Old 09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Littering and...

Megan headers + TurboXS Test Pipes + Stock cat back

Yeah it has a lot of rasp if you're on it. I am working on the cat back as we speak. But if you don't lay on it, it has a really deep sound to it.